Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 06:41:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Close encounter with deer  (Read 5423 times)
brlchief

« on: July 27, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »

I took Friday off of work to ride because it was such a beautiful day.  I was riding in Otis, MA and at 1:45 in the afternoon a large deer came running across the road and nearly broadsided me!  We were inches apart and the deer lifted it's front legs to avoid hitting me.  My heart was pounding.  It took me a while to get over that one.  I did not expect that at that time of day.  I don't think there is anything you can do in that situation.  I was lucky the deer backed off.  Something for everyone to keep an eye out for.

Brenda
m0t0g0th

.:GoneFeral:.

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 06:03:02 PM »

taking a Friday off to  [moto] ?
...  applause

i'm going to have to get myself up to do that.  sometimes i take off "sick of work", but preventative maintenance could head that kind of feeling off.  hmmm...
yes.  there is absolutely no reason in the world to carry 140+ hours of vacation time with nothing requiring a passport on the horizon!

YOU are an inspiration.
and deer reconsiders, deer ≠ monster, win!

A red traffic light means:
  • Incoming missiles
  • Stop
  • You win! Speed through the intersection to claim your reward!
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 08:39:33 PM »

Dear are scary near/on the road. I was going down a hill yesterday, on my bicycle. I was probably only doing about 30-35 mph. Two dear ran up onto the road in front of me. I tried to slow down but didn't have enough time. Luckily they each took off in a different direction away from me. You never know which way they will move, if at all.

Still, ten points for ditching work to ride! I have another four weeks before school starts. I love vacation, but I'm kind of bored. How pathetic is that?

Is it June yet?
whidbeymonster

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:21:07 AM »

augh! i see everyday on the way too and from work and that is my biggest fear! glad you are okay... and kuddos on ditching work, mental health days are the best day off!
tara
 chug
ScorchedCarbon

696!

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:08:19 PM »

I was riding my bike one night and I was looking down at my guages and when I looked up a deer was jumping over my front wheel. Don't know how I didn't hit it

"The only thing wrong with instant gratification is that it's not quick enough"
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »

there is some nice riding up in that area  [moto]
i'm glad the deer backed off, your story could have had a totally different ending Smiley

kudos for ditching work, next time shoot me a PM  Wink Grin
brlchief

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »

Thanks for all the support on ditching work for riding.  It is great for the mental health!  I am over the deer, but have a new respect for it. 
On the 140 hours of vacation time:  What are you saving it for?  You need a day now and then.  Go riding!
Ducatini:
There is great riding in that area.  I go there all the time.  I will let you know when I do that again.  I hope we can hook up for a ride some time.

Brenda
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:37:25 AM »

Ducatini:
There is great riding in that area.  I go there all the time.  I will let you know when I do that again.  I hope we can hook up for a ride some time.

Brenda

sunday's ride was really fun!
we went over into dutchess county, ny  [moto]
there were 4 of us, with room for more.

didya get my PM about the meet up spot? because that's where we usually meet up on sunday's  [moto]
MAZ

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 05:26:50 AM »

Where I live, I am far more worried about animals taking me out than cars.  I have had the following cross my path while riding - deer, turkey, vulture, badgers, squirrels, dogs, crows, rabbits, pheasants, cows.....well you get the idea.

We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults.  Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment.  ~George Eliot
whidbeymonster

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 07:59:33 AM »

maz- i think the vulture would have done me in!!! i didn't realize that that was a reality of road pizza in the united states!
 Shocked
tara
brlchief

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 02:00:49 PM »

sunday's ride was really fun!
we went over into dutchess county, ny  [moto]
there were 4 of us, with room for more.

didya get my PM about the meet up spot? because that's where we usually meet up on sunday's  [moto]

I got the PM.  I think I finally have this thing figured out.  I responded, but not correctly. As far as Sunday went, I was thinking the weather would not hold out.  I have checked out the location.  I would still like to hook up.  Sorry I missed Sunday.  I wish I went.  While it looked like it would rain all day, the rain didn't come until late afternoon. 
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 02:49:07 PM »

I got the PM.  I think I finally have this thing figured out.  I responded, but not correctly. As far as Sunday went, I was thinking the weather would not hold out.  I have checked out the location.  I would still like to hook up.  Sorry I missed Sunday.  I wish I went.  While it looked like it would rain all day, the rain didn't come until late afternoon. 

it's good that you found the place, it's hard to find for some people...
i think or next outing will be earlier.. like 9:30
i'll send you a pm!  Smiley
MAZ

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 03:42:37 PM »

maz- i think the vulture would have done me in!!! i didn't realize that that was a reality of road pizza in the united states!
 Shocked
tara

laughingdp

We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults.  Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment.  ~George Eliot
brlchief

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 02:26:23 AM »

Where I live, I am far more worried about animals taking me out than cars.  I have had the following cross my path while riding - deer, turkey, vulture, badgers, squirrels, dogs, crows, rabbits, pheasants, cows.....well you get the idea.

What state do you live in?
lauramonster
pissin' on this thread with your

Ride it like you stole it.........

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 07:58:02 AM »

What state do you live in?

Confusion???

That's the state I'm in laughingdp

Frickin' snow!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: