Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 15, 2024, 03:26:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Testing stator resistance static?  (Read 123 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: Yesterday at 07:09:38 AM »

I have the side cover off and see a burned stator (12 of 18 "posts" are black)

Doing the stator resistance test, Ohms from yellow to yellow a.s.o. That shouldn't be a problem while the cover is off?

The other (static?) test, ground to yellows...... can it be done while the cover is off? Connect it to the engine with a wire?

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:11:34 AM by stopintime » Logged

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:55:26 AM »

Here's my meter.

200/"sound symbol" gave 0.6 on all three yellows

20K showed 0 .  before connecting. No reaction when connecting the yellows.

From ground to yellows gave no reaction either.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:43:36 PM »

PM Howie. He has all the numbers in his head.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:45:22 AM »

PM Howie. He has all the numbers in his head.

Good morning. Thanks, I have now done that.

Measured again, at 200/
0.6 between all two and two yellow combinations

Still at 200/ black against several places in the side cover itself, stator core, stator mounting bolts and the red to all three yellows. No change. Does not move from 1 in the display. Tried all ohm settings. No reaction.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: Today at 06:18:02 AM »

OK, Ducati has no spec for stator resistance.  You want to see continuity and equal resistance.  The number will be low.  Cover on or off doesn't matter.  Did you test stator output?  Each yellow wire should produce 28 -33 volts at about 3000rpm.

This chart is a good guide  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1091/5694/files/fault-finding-diagram.pdf?235929069374954073

Now that I think about your photo, even if everything tests OK, at some point the lacquer that insulates the winding is crispy and will eventually fail.  I wouldn't want it to fail on my trip to Italy.  Less than $200 from Ricks   https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/l/aftermarket-stators
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:39:55 AM »

Stator was new last year. So was the starter. R/R too.

Water killed the starter, the mechanic thinks. Water in the starter = water in the stator?

Any idea why I can't get results from ground to yellows? Shows 1 and does not change. From several spots in the cover and on/by the stator.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:24:39 AM »

I don't know what to look for, but near where the wire goes through the starter shell, the oil looks more like grease - grey stuff that isn't possible to see through.

The brushes and stuff seen through the shell

The thing

Some of the grease looking oil

another shot of the grease looking oil

Brushes and stuff

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:09:13 AM »

I'm not understanding your yellow to ground 1 Huh?  Stater windings to the body of the stator should be infinity.

All I can think of with the starter is a combination of engine oil and debris, but I don't see a path for it to happen.

Maybe we should call koko64 to the red phone?
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:27:55 AM »

I want to perform the test that is black on ground, in this case the cover or other suitable ground (please suggest where) and the three yellows. I have the digit 1 in the multimeter display. It does not change while doing the test.

Didn't we/someone settle on 0.6 ohm as a good result? The Electrosport mentions much higher numbers.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:44:17 AM »

Electrosport is using an any bike number.  Ducati does not have a published spec.  In my rough calculations do to rounding off, like using an assumed 12 volts, comes to about .8 ohms so your .6 ohms is probably good enough.  Too low means a short.

Any unpainted metal on the engine case that is not insulated from the rest of the engine will be fine.  Is the 1 you are reading on your meter 1 ohm or does it stand for something else?  Anything less than infinity means short to ground.

The most important test on an alternator is voltage output, in the case of your bike alternator, for each phase with the bike running.  Most important because it is dynamic, in other words how the component works with temperature and vibration.  The tests you are doing are static and used to find the defective component.  You can add vibration and heat to your static tests. 

How was the connection at the voltage regulator?
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:42:43 PM »

All wires in and out of the R/R look fine.

The point is to find out if I need a new stator, now, soon, later. I would like for the situation to be as clear as possible before I put the engine back together. The color suggests to replace the stator now or soon. The yellow to yellow static resistance test suggest that I can wait (, but it's just static , cold and vibration free).

This picture shows the 1 I'm referring to. That's what I see when I turn the dial to ohm and it does not change while testing. The side cover is hanging on by ducttape. It might not have good contact with the rest of the bike. I put the black probe against the cover, the steel center in the stator and anywhere I can think of. I also tried all settings on the meter. Also, of course, all three yellows. What am I doing wrong?

I guess I can procede without the ground to yellow test, but since I'm stubborn I'd like to do it with a result.

I have my credit card out. Probably just get a new stator. It'll be here in a couple of days. So far this has just cost me rain days.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: Today at 02:03:59 PM »

Problem is I have no clue what that 1 stands for.  A 1, then spaces and finally a decimal point???  Got a manual for that meter or another meter?  I looked on the web a manual for your Brother YH-600B and it came up as equipment for respiratory diagnostics  bang head
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #12 on: Today at 02:18:32 PM »

The decimal point moves as I change the setting, but that doesn't affect the outcome - which is 0.6 or in this troublesome attempt no change in the display.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #13 on: Today at 02:50:35 PM »

Chinese product. I let google look for products/pages/websites from the picture. They returned two other brands selling the same meter. Electro-Tek and Wellink HL-3000. The Wellink product has/had a lot of hits on the web - mostly Chinese language - a few in English - none with any mention of a manual.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: