Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:22:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brno MotoGP (spoilers will be inside)  (Read 9818 times)
derby

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2008, 03:36:31 PM »

I wonder how much lower he'd have gone yesterday if he hadn't found the ground. 

you can't go much lower than "on the ground" without doing some serious damage.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:03:23 PM by derby » Logged

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
COWBOY

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2008, 03:52:37 PM »

you can't go much lower than "on the ground" without doing some serious damage.

I was wondering who would go to the digging a hole twist of the words.  Stupid mistake or just unlucky?  I can't tell from the replays probably a little of both.  Not really the point.

I think the Duc had more in it and his fastest laps were still in front of him.  The 1'56 comment seemed to be an unreachable mark (on the 800) in Rossi's mind.   I take that to mean he knew he couldn't get there yesterday.  I'm just wondering if Stoner would have broke the 1'57.000 barrier to close the race had he not found the ground.

I also found it interesting that Rossi makes the comment and within 24 hours the Duc is running within .070 of the Qualifying track record of Rossi's (Stoner set the lap record yesterday).  There is definitely a serious rivalry festering here.   Should be fun to watch the rest of this season and next.  It's about time!

Here's the link by the way

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Aug/080818js3z.htm

From  crash.net

"Riding alongside almost a full line-up of MotoGP riders, plus three additional test riders, Stoner completed 55 laps on race tyres, carrying out a variety of set-up and tyre tests and maintaining a consistently quick pace - well inside the circuit record he set in Sunday's race..

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:03:59 PM by COWBOY » Logged

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
derby

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »

would you concede that 1'56 could've been done on qualy tires, super-light fuel, and a a fuel-economy-be-damned fuel-map just to prove rossi "wrong"?  Wink

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

COWBOY

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2008, 04:08:39 PM »

would you concede that 1'56 could've been done on qualy tires, super-light fuel, and a a fuel-economy-be-damned fuel-map just to prove rossi "wrong"?  Wink

According to multiple sites and news feeds it was on race tires.   Read the quote I added from crash.net.

Concede?  I like the Spartan quote in 300 -  "Give them nothing but take everything."   laughingdp

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:11:47 PM by COWBOY » Logged

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
mikeb
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2008, 04:42:19 PM »

Stupid mistake or just unlucky? 

It was just his time.

Like Rossi dumping it in 2006 handing the title to Nicky.  Sometimes shit just happens.

I liked where that race was heading.  I think they both had a little left......not much though.  Certainly would have been a classic finish.  Especially coming off the heels of Laguna. 

OT
Still Sweeping.....

'04 M1000 Janis - smartly dressed in red

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2008, 07:07:10 PM »

Historically, Rossi wins championships and Stoner crashes.....these last two races aren't much of a surprise....

Sorry to say (wrt more good racing this year) that it sure looks like Rossi's gotten inside Stoner's head -- which Rossi unbashedly alluded to in his post-race interview on CBS.

Oh well, at least Nicky and Dani haven't yet been hypnotized by the doctor so there's hope for next year  popcorn
Jester

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »

I wouldn't say the championship is wrapped up just yet.  Even though Rossi dumped his bike in 2006 to hand Nicky the title, Rossi also had to overcome a big points deficit and also had to have Nicky dump his own bike in order to make championship hopes possible.

I do expect Rossi to take the title, but the fat lady hasn't started the show  just yet. 

I'm afraid Stoner is reverting back to old form though.  Seeing him pushing his bike another second clear of his lap record yesterday disturbs me to some degree.  I feel he's pushing the bike on the edge of crashing to prove some sort of point to the rest of the grid.  That's what used to result with his bike on the ground, over, and over, and over, with Honda.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I get that impression from him at the moment.

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2008, 09:43:42 PM »

What a bummer Stoner crashed out. I was really hoping Rossi would just sit there until the last few laps when we'd see a battle for the win.  Oh well.  Cry

I thought Doohan did pretty well annoucing as well.  waytogo I wish Greg White would quit yelling though.  laughingdp For some reason it works when the Brit announcers go ape...not when Greg does though.

Argh..Stoner!!

I just watched the race on TiVo. 

J, you're right.  Greg White=Douche!!  STFU and get off the air!!  bang head  And here comes Rossi and he does a wheelie!!    Roll Eyes

My favorite part of the race is when "De Poo-nay" went down because I didn't have to listen to Greg f*ck up his name anymore.  Oh yeah..then there was Gwin-ta-lee.   Roll Eyes

BTW..were we watching golf or MotoGP?!  Why was Greg on a golf course at the beginning of the race?! 

No more CBS.  I CAN'T TAKE IT!! 

Anyway, glad to see some other guys getting up on the Podium and yes..those legs at the end!!   Shocked Shocked Shocked

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
FatguyRacer

The A-hole fomerly known as Blueshark928

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2008, 04:56:08 AM »

Very interesting race. Like Bizzaro World Moto GP from 2nd place on back.

CBS should keep Doohan and ditch Schwantz permantly. KS is one of my favorite riders, but he's terrible on TV. I like GW better than Ralph Shaheen, but I agree he needs to tone it down and smarten it up. The people watching know what's going on as well as he does.

They should all take a lesson from Speeds F1 crew. Educate from a the position that the viewer is fairly intelligent to begin with and dont dumb it down. In this regard Steve Machett is excellent.

John Krawczyk
2002 Ducati ST4s (FIM chip, Arrow Carbys, Sargent seat, DP comfort fairing, Ducati Designs headlight, Toby steering dampener)
My Blog - The Chronicles of Fatguy Racer
derby

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »

I like GW better than Ralph Shaheen, but I agree he needs to tone it down and smarten it up. The people watching know what's going on as well as he does.

the poeple that know what's going on are going to watch anyway. cbs is dumbing it down for the joe-sixpacks of the world.

They should all take a lesson from Speeds F1 crew. Educate from a the position that the viewer is fairly intelligent to begin with and dont dumb it down. In this regard Steve Machett is excellent.

great example, but they even "dumb it down" a little when the races are on fox.

fwiw, i can't imagine a better announcing team than varsha/hobbs/windsor/matchett.  waytogo

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

mikeb
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2008, 06:04:32 AM »

the poeple that know what's going on are going to watch anyway. cbs is dumbing it down for the joe-sixpacks of the world.

Yeah, but even the dumb joe-sixpacks know they have sliders on the knees.  For the 2nd race in a row GW had mentioned what kind of clothing they wear.  Well, duh!  Of course they're wearing leather, helmets, and have knee pucks.  Anyone can see that! 

Is he announcing for joe-sixpack or Stevie Wonder?

You can dumb it down without it being dumb.....

Cider

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2008, 06:32:02 AM »

CBS should keep Doohan and ditch Schwantz permantly. KS is one of my favorite riders, but he's terrible on TV.

I second that motion.
gm2

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2008, 08:44:10 AM »

doohan wasn't necessarily much better a commentator than KS but he was definitely... cooler.  he came off as being ok with not having much to say at certain times.  and he didn't fumble around.  +1 for more doohan.  with the accent, you can get away with a lot  Wink.

GW was still GW but i gotta say he was miles better than germany or whatever the last race was.  i think someone at CBS must have been talking to him.  i'm not saying he was good, but he was greatly improved.

Like this is the racing, no?
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2008, 06:18:20 PM »

doohan was definitely... cooler.  he came off as being ok with not having much to say at certain times.  and he didn't fumble around. 

Agreed!  When CBS recapped a pass at the beginning of the race.  GW was saying something like.. "Wow..look at that pass!"  Doohan said "Yeah, passed him on the inside.  Um..not much to say about that".   Huh?  As if to say.."uh...why did they just show that?!"   Roll Eyes   

laughingdp

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: