Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 28, 2024, 01:41:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 421   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 534035 times)
teddy037.3
« Reply #4905 on: March 10, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »

Want to run with the big dogs?  You got to pay the big dog dues.

they really have you watercooled boys by the sack, eh?
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #4906 on: March 10, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »

they really have you watercooled boys by the sack, eh?

If you really want it to work right, apparently so.  Wait until I fill you all in about what it actually costs to do your own services, tools & parts.   Shocked Roll Eyes Shocked

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
Thermite

It's not my brain that's getting fried here!

« Reply #4907 on: March 11, 2012, 07:06:19 AM »

NO they're OEM Ducati.

$12.67 each from Plug Club.

OEM D-Zuss pin (cheap as cad-plated) out of SSD = 14.95.
TITANIUM D-Zuss pin aftermarket = $9.95.

OEM Ducati?  I think not.  I call balogna on them making either of these parts.

I give you credit for one thing though, you get big balls just for walking into their parts department.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:09:25 AM by Carbon 14 » Logged

'07 S4RS and '04 998 Matrix.  Because sometimes I feel like a monster, and sometimes I don't.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #4908 on: March 11, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »

It"s a NGK spark plug and says so right on the Ducati box.  When you Google the NGK number you get an entirely different looking plug than what comes out of the SSD parts dept.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #4909 on: March 11, 2012, 08:54:45 AM »

It"s a NGK spark plug and says so right on the Ducati box.  When you Google the NGK number you get an entirely different looking plug than what comes out of the SSD parts dept.

Interesting...when my plug change was due, I sourced my plugs from sparkplugs.com and Will never mentioned that it wasn't the correct plug...the sprakplug.com website offers up the 1098 as an application for the plug in question...does the 848 take a different plug?

http://sparkplugs.com/results_fitment.asp?pid=mar10a%2Dj

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
teddy037.3
« Reply #4910 on: March 11, 2012, 10:02:11 AM »

If you really want it to work right, apparently so.  Wait until I fill you all in about what it actually costs to do your own services, tools & parts.   Shocked Roll Eyes Shocked

that's why I am a consumer, and not... a... service provider?
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #4911 on: March 11, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »

Well I source my NGKs from Monster Parts, both regular and Iridium; the Champions, luckily, found a local parts store that carries the RC4H . . .and Bosch also carries plugs I can use as well as some Can Am models use the same plug . . .
Think my Gina is a keeper . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #4912 on: March 11, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »

Interesting...when my plug change was due, I sourced my plugs from sparkplugs.com and Will never mentioned that it wasn't the correct plug...the sprakplug.com website offers up the 1098 as an application for the plug in question...does the 848 take a different plug?

http://sparkplugs.com/results_fitment.asp?pid=mar10a%2Dj

That plug is an exact match for the ones I got.  I'll probably use them as a source for any other future projects.

eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #4913 on: March 11, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »

that's why I am a consumer, and not... a... service provider?

Not what I heard...

cheeky

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
Thermite

« Reply #4914 on: March 11, 2012, 06:25:13 PM »

That plug is an exact match for the ones I got.  I'll probably use them as a source for any other future projects.

That's the exact one "plug club" listed for $2 less each.

Just hearing what they charged you makes me happy SSD doesn't have any parts for bikes as old as mine.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:42:28 PM by Carbon 14 » Logged

'07 S4RS and '04 998 Matrix.  Because sometimes I feel like a monster, and sometimes I don't.
teddy037.3
« Reply #4915 on: March 11, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »

Not what I heard...

cheeky

shoosh. sailors don't count  Kiss
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #4916 on: March 11, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »

That's the exact one "plug club" listed for $2 less each.

Just hearing what they charged you makes me happy SSD doesn't have any parts for bikes as old as mine.

For what it's worth, and that may not be much, SSD is buying these spark plugs from Ducati and not NGK. Now, they could buy the plug from NGK but I don't know how such purchases would affect their franchise agreement with Ducati Spa. Same thing as BMW of Honolulu having to buy their parts from BMWNA. Very likely that SSD's wholesale cost from Ducati is higher than the Plug Club price. Every body up and down the line gets their cut of that red & white box.  In any case I don't feel all that bad about it and there are some other factors in the equation that lend to that feeling. I can't and won't complain about SSD. They are a business and they've always done right by me as far as I'm concerned. They certainly treat me better than BMW of Honolulu does. Of course YMMV.

Thermite

« Reply #4917 on: March 11, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »

I can't and won't complain about SSD. They are a business and they've always done right by me as far as I'm concerned. They certainly treat me better than BMW of Honolulu does. Of course YMMV.

No secret I'm not a big fan of parts dept. over there and the lack of parts has had negative effects on the quality of service work.  When I took the monster in for 7500 service I was specific about changing the belts.  PO's forgot to ride it so it was four years old.  A belt change was in order for BOTH mileage and age.  When I picked up the bike from service I checked the bill and no belts listed.  I asked Will about it and he said "They were fine".  When I went in to pay the bill I went to parts and inquired about buying a set of belts.  None in stock. 3-4 weeks to order.  When I went back out I asked Will again and he told me he would have changed the belts if they had any.

This wouldn't really have jerked my chain except for the fact I had stopped in weeks earlier to verify everything needed would be on hand.  I was told yeah, just bring it in any morning between 7:30 & 8:00.  I'm not anal and I wouldn't have stopped by except I had previously tried to buy oil filters without any luck.  Wondering if they didn't have an oil filter how can they service the bike?

So yes, I guess you could say my mileage has varied.

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #4918 on: March 12, 2012, 06:39:55 AM »

Understandable from your point of view for sure. I can't say that every experience I've had with them was wonderful either but seems to be better over the last few years though. BTW, they still don't carry cam belts in stock but they've had oil filters lately. I even have four Factory OEM oil filters in my stock. Maybe I carry more than they do now.   laughingdp

Thermite

« Reply #4919 on: March 12, 2012, 07:09:29 AM »

I guess FP did it right by bringing his own parts for service.  He is wise in ways that still elude me.

I've been on the fence about doing my own valve adjustments so I can't write SSD off yet.  I guess I'll bring an oil filter, plugs, and belts in when the Monoposto Matrix needs service.  Fortunately that's a ways out yet.

Don't get me wrong about SSD.  Everyone there has always been very helpful and overall I like the place.  Just skipping portions of a major service because of a parts shortage doesn't seem fair to the customer though.  You know me well enough to know brand new belts in red/white wrappers would have been there with me if they had just said BYOB when I stopped in a month early.

Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 421   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: