Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 18, 2024, 01:26:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 421   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 524172 times)
teddy037.3
« Reply #5220 on: August 01, 2012, 07:52:40 PM »

4300!  Smiley
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #5221 on: August 01, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »

Got a dyno base run on the 848 today done at Montgomery Motors. It'll be interesting to see what changes, if any, happen after all adjustments are done.

Horsepower at rear wheel ----- MM Cycle Sports says their dyno reads low (how much?? dunno but it really doesn't matter as the next run will be run on the same machine) --- Nice linear progression for HP. The lower line is the fuel/air mixture ratio with it getting richer as the line dips.  Most stock fueling is set at 14:1 with aftermarket supposed ideal at 13:1. Mine runs richer.

Then the torque curve with the odd low middle range dip

The fueling is on the rich side............    popcorn popcorn

Finally got the "after tune" dyno readings:

Torque curve

Horsepower curve

After all the valve adjustments and adjusting timing for 3 cams, new spark plugs and new air filter........... absolutely no significant improvement.  Just RCH differences and that could be due to atmospheric conditions......

Disappointed?   Not really........ but for sure enlightened in a different way.  Worth it to me?   Without a doubt............. Worth it to someone else...... maybe not......

Next up...... dyno run without the db killers to see if that affects the low midrange torque dips.

BTW ..... the torque dips exist only on paper.  They cannot be felt.   It's still just zooom!   waytogo

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #5222 on: August 02, 2012, 04:09:23 AM »

interesting . .

on the 'choke' cable issue . . . haven't found anything wrong or nicks or weird bends in its routing . . . that was yesterday, I'll try to adjust a little if the guy rides back today or during the weekend . . .

Will keep updates coming . . .Was able to 're-reset' TPS with the Centurion tool, it showed a 3.1 value the first time, left it at 2.7 . . . ran the bike for a few miles, then 're-reset' trim to 22 and idle to 1250rpm .. . . and then TPS to 2.8 . . . yesterday, when the bike came, I checked, and it was all where I have left it; trim 22, tps 2.8 and idle 1275 . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #5223 on: August 04, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »

Finally got the "after tune" dyno readings:

After all the valve adjustments and adjusting timing for 3 cams, new spark plugs and new air filter........... absolutely no significant improvement.  Just RCH differences and that could be due to atmospheric conditions......

Disappointed?   Not really........ but for sure enlightened in a different way.  Worth it to me?   Without a doubt............. Worth it to someone else...... maybe not......

Next up...... dyno run without the db killers to see if that affects the low midrange torque dips.

BTW ..... the torque dips exist only on paper.  They cannot be felt.   It's still just zooom!   waytogo

if you have the data file from the dyno you can download the software to make table of graphs in different aspects

the one that is good to look at is power V time and thats where you will prob find decent gains when everything is tuned

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #5224 on: August 04, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »

if you have the data file from the dyno you can download the software to make table of graphs in different aspects

the one that is good to look at is power V time and thats where you will prob find decent gains when everything is tuned

No need for all of that. One can simply look at the graphs and it is plain to see that there is little difference.  Even though the exhaust cam timing was way out of spec for both exhaust cams no significant differences were measured after cam timing was corrected.

So it becomes a value judgement.  Everything can be tightened up and set to close specs.  With the improved air flow through the new heads the adjustments can be off to a greater degree but there won't be the same performance loss as compared to the earlier engines.

Now that being said, there is still some value in having everything set tighter to spec but only for the engineer or enthusiast mind frame, which describes me to a degree, no pun intended.  For the average guy getting this work done at a shop and having to pay for it there may be no monetary value in having adjustments done unless the values are far out of spec

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #5225 on: August 04, 2012, 11:05:43 PM »

No need for all of that. One can simply look at the graphs and it is plain to see that there is little difference.  Even though the exhaust cam timing was way out of spec for both exhaust cams no significant differences were measured after cam timing was corrected.

So it becomes a value judgement.  Everything can be tightened up and set to close specs.  With the improved air flow through the new heads the adjustments can be off to a greater degree but there won't be the same performance loss as compared to the earlier engines.

Now that being said, there is still some value in having everything set tighter to spec but only for the engineer or enthusiast mind frame, which describes me to a degree, no pun intended.  For the average guy getting this work done at a shop and having to pay for it there may be no monetary value in having adjustments done unless the values are far out of spec

but this is where the Power V time graph is so relevant

doesnt matter if you have 200Hp if it takes 5 mins to get there

peaks of anything doesnt mean anything

but if a power run took 10 secs and now you make same power in 8 seconds , thats where the value is

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
sta

'95 ZX6R sold '07 Monster S2R1K

« Reply #5226 on: August 11, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »

I was all happy that my 15k service was straight forward until I got almost home and noticed weird handling, it won't turn.  Damn, I have a flat on my rear and I am stuck at home.  What now?

« Reply #5227 on: August 11, 2012, 07:36:14 PM »

I was all happy that my 15k service was straight forward until I got almost home and noticed weird handling, it won't turn.  Damn, I have a flat on my rear and I am stuck at home.  What now?

S--T that sucks! Evil
You got towing insurance?

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
sta

« Reply #5228 on: August 11, 2012, 11:18:57 PM »

Nope, I think I will try with removal n patch 1st. 
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #5229 on: August 11, 2012, 11:32:01 PM »

Where is it leaking from?

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #5230 on: August 12, 2012, 12:01:13 AM »

Went down to MM Cycle Sports today to get the 848 in the annual Dyno Shoot Out - Bike Wash Charity thingy.  Conforming to AMA Racing Rules they stuck me in the 600 class.  I won 1st Place.   Roll Eyes  Took the baffles out this morning to see if that would eliminate the midrange torque drop. They didn't show the torque curve but the two fuel mixture rich dips were still there so I assume that didn't make any difference. Actually I lost 1.25 HP today on the run compared with the last run a week and a half ago. Could have been just a different day for the dyno but I stuck the baffles back in tonight.

The best running BMW S1000RR was putting out 166 and change at the rear wheel. Best liter bike went to a Kawasaki GX10R that had an aftermarket full exhaust running at a bit over 170 HP at the rear.   Shocked 

sta

« Reply #5231 on: August 12, 2012, 12:59:35 AM »

Where is it leaking from?
In the middle of the cross section of the tired tread, small pin hole, 1mm

« Reply #5232 on: August 12, 2012, 01:08:28 AM »

In the middle of the cross section of the tired tread, small pin hole, 1mm

I know it's against public opinion, using patches Roll Eyes....but I am a ch--p MF'er. 
Had a small hole in the center section and used a patch installed at MM...worked well 8-9 months before I had to get new tires.
Never had any issues & and I hardly go over 85 mph for any length...so felt it was worth chancing til I was ready to replace both F & R.

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5233 on: August 12, 2012, 08:48:39 AM »

I won 1st Place. 

Congrats!... waytogo

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5234 on: August 12, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »

You might want to try a plug vs a patch...I believe a patch would have to go on the inside of the tire...hope you get it fixed for today's ride.

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 421   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: