Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:07:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sato for S4RS arrived (pics)  (Read 14507 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 04:22:05 PM »

........ Going to a Slipper clutch has change my braking style considerable

How?

(My bike is the S2R800 which has the slipper clutch, never had anything else, so I don't know the difference. Educate me?)

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 04:38:11 PM »

your bike doesnt really have a slipper clutch, it only mimics the features of it. It is originally designed to lessn clutch pull, so if you do apply alot of force on it, it will slip and casue your rear to break loose.

with an real slipper clutch you can basiclly bang the gears down without the rear wheel chirping. You are suppose to clutch, blip, downshift. If you dont blip, or ease the clutch out, your bikes tire will try to catch up to the engine and cause it to break loose. With a slipper you can unload gearbox, downshift, continue.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 04:59:15 PM »

APTC slipper clutch - it says so  Angry Huh?
Are you saying that it DOESN'T slip when hard/mistaken downshifts AND that it can slip if I apply too much throttle, let's say out of a turn?
-and wouldn't that be strange considering Ducati calls it a slipper clutch?

My apologies for the blatant thread jack - I will avoid it next time.  Embarrassed

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
JDS 07 S4Rs

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 05:12:32 PM »

I do have a "Corse" Slipper. Previously I used my gear box more as a brake. Now I have to get acqainted with more of the feel for the back brake.

Yes it does slip. No or very little engine braking. No "Stopintime" the clutch does not slip when accelerating(at least not yet)  Smiley

Oh ya,,,its a different feel not being able to use the gears as a back brake. Cant bump start the bike either Sad.

Oh,,,,,,,,S4RSSS. Trying my method now may not be the right aproach. U may have induced some air into your line already. So a full line bleed is probably nessecary.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 05:19:16 PM by JDS 07 S4Rs » Logged

2007 S4RS
2007 1098S Salvage Title (that's it. NO MORE BIKES)
02 GSXR 750 Trackbike - Ins Write/off
06 ZX636R Trackbike  - Ins Write-off (I couldnt help it, the price was right)
2003 BMW 1150R
2004 450 YZ
&,,, a few others :-)
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 10:41:37 PM »

Are you saying that it DOESN'T slip when hard/mistaken downshifts AND that it can slip if I apply too much throttle, let's say out of a turn?

My apologies for the blatant thread jack - I will avoid it next time.  Embarrassed

Can you jam down two gears and just let your hand off the lever without the rear wheel locking? If you can then you have a slipper clutch.

A slipper clutch is the best mod I have done, as JDS has stated, you have to modify your braking and riding style to take full advantage of it.

BTW I can lock the rear wheel with the brake, in fact to easily.

I have no experience with the Sato's, but it looks as though the broken bolt shown in the pics is the OEM Ducati part, this is the point where both the std and Cycle Cat brackets are fitted with the anti-vibration bush.

Capo de tuti capi
JDS 07 S4Rs

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2008, 09:15:24 AM »

Yep, 2 gears no back wheel lock-up. It is a Slipper. I installed it myself.

Back to the OP. I bet S4RSSS found out what was wrong. Perhaps the push-rod wasnt seating into the Acuator. It has to be something simple. Even with air in the lines U should have squishy brakes !!!!

2007 S4RS
2007 1098S Salvage Title (that's it. NO MORE BIKES)
02 GSXR 750 Trackbike - Ins Write/off
06 ZX636R Trackbike  - Ins Write-off (I couldnt help it, the price was right)
2003 BMW 1150R
2004 450 YZ
&,,, a few others :-)
S4RSSS

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 05:47:09 PM »

TURNING THE CALIPER UPSIDE DOWN DID THE WORK.

Thanks guys, I got it to bleed correctly and the brakes are working now, it's still very soft (i still can't get the rear to lock up), but a tiny bit better than it was compared to before. Also, the rear brake lights work now, and I do think it was dependent of the brake pressure applied in the m.cylinder.

Now for the height measurements before and after. The measurements are from the floor to the bottom of the pegs (not the levers). Also, the bike was on the rear stand.

Clutch peg to ground-
stock: 11 1/8"
Sato: 11 5/8"

Brake peg to ground-
stock: 11 1/2"
Sato: 12 1/4"

at stock setting, the right reaset was already 3/8" higher than the left. after the Satos were installed, that difference became 7/8".
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 05:52:11 PM by S4RSSS » Logged
WFO58

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2008, 06:00:54 PM »

I went through two cans of dot4 before a search on the old dml clued me into the upside down trick. It sounds like you still need to rid some air, it should be rock hard.

Ride safe

999 R Xerox, S4RS, KTM 950 SM, GSXR 750, Harley soft tail custom, Honda 750F, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang, RM 125, Elsinore 125, SL 70, Mini trail, Bonanza minibike.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »

Your rear wheel WILL slip when you bang the gears down too hard (hence why its not a 100% slipper clutch, yes ive seen it happen a few times) Not trying to thread jack, I just dont want someone to start ripping gears thinking their rear wheel will never spin with the APTC clutch system, because it will. especially if you down shift really hard. If you look at ducatis advertisement as well as reviews on their clutch, they like to say "slipper" clutch, or slipper clutch like features, or acts like a slipper clutch.

The unit JDS installed is an aftermarket device. I think the APTC only works on wet clutches since they are only found on the 695 and S2R800.

</theadjack>

a little note on bleeding, you can try to turn the pee cup and lever up right to help move the air, just becareful to not shake it and get bubbles into the resovoir. But then again, the rear brake is so useless  i wouldnt be worried about it.

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
S4RSSS

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2008, 06:10:01 PM »

I went through two cans of dot4 before a search on the old dml clued me into the upside down trick. It sounds like you still need to rid some air, it should be rock hard.

Ride safe

thanks, i might rebleed it some more, or just completely flush it out. the rear brakes came very soft from the factory already, and i just never cared much since i dont use the rears much.
S4RSSS

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2008, 06:17:54 PM »

a little note on bleeding, you can try to turn the pee cup and lever up right to help move the air, just becareful to not shake it and get bubbles into the resovoir. But then again, the rear brake is so useless  i wouldnt be worried about it.

pee cup and lever, meaning the vacuum tool? turn them upright?
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2008, 07:42:44 PM »

Do you know where the resovior connects to the master cylinder? If you still have that piece hanging around, you can pick it up and move it around so if there are any air bubbles, they will get dislodged.

I went back and read your post, did you put any clamps on the rubber hoses? Air could be sneaking in somewhere.

the ron

pseodohollageniccoumpoundcianigin

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2008, 07:55:52 PM »

Hi all,

I have been reading with interest all the threads about rear sets and was wondering from those who have done the upgrade what do they think the real positive benefits are?  Looks, adjustment options for comfort, performance of operation?  Or a combination of a few other things.  They certainly arent a cheap bling option, and given the engineering I suspect it is a lot about function.

So enlighten me please.

Bret

+1 on that request. my problem with my pegs are that they are a hair to short. but i always hear that if they were any longer that they would drag on the ground when cornering. maybe not with me riding them but maybe with one of you rockets at the helm. i am going to be interested in a complete review of these pegs. i like the black but i think i will just powder coat mine instead. much cheaper

the ron Evil

" If you were directly above him, then how did you see him?"
"...... Because i was inverted."
silentbob
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2008, 09:52:28 PM »

Your rear wheel WILL slip when you bang the gears down too hard (hence why its not a 100% slipper clutch, yes ive seen it happen a few times) Not trying to thread jack, I just dont want someone to start ripping gears thinking their rear wheel will never spin with the APTC clutch system, because it will. especially if you down shift really hard. If you look at ducatis advertisement as well as reviews on their clutch, they like to say "slipper" clutch, or slipper clutch like features, or acts like a slipper clutch.

The unit JDS installed is an aftermarket device. I think the APTC only works on wet clutches since they are only found on the 695 and S2R800.

</theadjack>

The ATPC clutch is a slipper clutch.  There is no real or fake slipper.  There are different types.  Aprilia uses engine vacuum, but it is still a slipper.  The more conventional slippers such as yours are available with different ramp angles to control the amount of back torque.  Is that to say that the one with less of a ramp angle is not a "true" slipper?  I don't think so.  Downshift with enough revs and hamfist the clutch and you will get some rear chatter on almost any setup.
silentbob
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2008, 09:54:51 PM »

Hi all,

I have been reading with interest all the threads about rear sets and was wondering from those who have done the upgrade what do they think the real positive benefits are?  Looks, adjustment options for comfort, performance of operation?  Or a combination of a few other things.  They certainly arent a cheap bling option, and given the engineering I suspect it is a lot about function.

So enlighten me please.

Bret

Adjustability, fixed foot pegs, and deep knurling on the pegs.  It is all designed to give you a better purchase on the bike.  I have the Sato's on my 1098 and it made a huge difference.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: