Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:12:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sato for S4RS arrived (pics)  (Read 14509 times)
S4RSSS

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2008, 12:53:31 AM »

Do you know where the resovior connects to the master cylinder? If you still have that piece hanging around, you can pick it up and move it around so if there are any air bubbles, they will get dislodged.

I went back and read your post, did you put any clamps on the rubber hoses? Air could be sneaking in somewhere.

yea, the hoses are clamped, on both ends. they came clamped from the factory.
JDS 07 S4Rs

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2008, 07:10:39 AM »

How R U making out with those brakes? When working properly U should have no problems locking up the back wheel. Its not going to be as sencative as the front brakes (thank god) But I have never had a street bike with properly functioning brake that couldnt lock up the back wheel.

2007 S4RS
2007 1098S Salvage Title (that's it. NO MORE BIKES)
02 GSXR 750 Trackbike - Ins Write/off
06 ZX636R Trackbike  - Ins Write-off (I couldnt help it, the price was right)
2003 BMW 1150R
2004 450 YZ
&,,, a few others :-)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2008, 02:31:38 PM »

The ATPC clutch is a slipper clutch.  There is no real or fake slipper.  There are different types.  Aprilia uses engine vacuum, but it is still a slipper.  The more conventional slippers such as yours are available with different ramp angles to control the amount of back torque.  Is that to say that the one with less of a ramp angle is not a "true" slipper?  I don't think so.  Downshift with enough revs and hamfist the clutch and you will get some rear chatter on almost any setup.

At about 50mph I went from 4th to 2nd and let go of the clutch lever. A few yards of rear chatter, so not fool proof anyway.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2008, 04:35:28 PM »

thanks, i might rebleed it some more, or just completely flush it out. the rear brakes came very soft from the factory already, and i just never cared much since i dont use the rears much.

One thing that got me: I installed rearsets on a 900ss and when I was done, the rear master cylinder wouldn't pump up. Turned out that the push pin from the lever never fully released! When the master cylinder was relocated, the after market rearsets had it closer to the brake lever than the oem one ... but only by a little. Loosened locknut then shortened until there was detectable gap.

??
Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »

Never got an e-mail response from CA Cycleworks... 

That's a little misleading...

We had a full conversation. The last I recall, John was going to check the set he installed on a customer's bike. As far as I am aware, Sato doesn't know about the problem and I was attempting to get a dialog going with Sato US and you, however, it fizzled out.

I'm sorry you feel we dropped it, however, we are quite busy... support is a 2 way thing -- we need your participation, too. Once we reply to a conversation, it gets buried instantly. Then it bubbles back up with replies from vendor or customer. I know "how it should be" with a full team dedicated to customer management, however, we're currently a bit stuck in the current system while I work on upgrading in "spare time".

Thanks,
Chris

JDS 07 S4Rs

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2008, 06:50:57 AM »

I was curious about this when I installed my rearsets. I figured it wouldn't be such a big issue since no one really complained about the Sato's rearset.

After a few rides in the canyon I noticed my left rearset was vibrating a bit but didn't think much of it. Prior to the next trip out into the canyons I did an inspection around the bike and noticed the main bolt that held the rearset snapped. I tighten the bolt at about 55Nm. Which I got from the S2R workshop manual. When the new bolt came in I tighten it to the same spec of 55Nm. Took it out for a spin and noticed the same vibration but this time it was very minute.  I also found out the rear swingarm was not traveling much. It was really stiff. No wonder it was a bumpy ride. The recommended torque setting was too tight restricting the swingarm from moving freely.  I dropped the torque setting down to about 30Nm and all is well. No broken bolts and the swingarm is moving.

So do not over tighten this bolt!

Here are a few photos.

Fark,,,,,,I just did the same thing. Or, I just noticed that my left side Main bolt is broke. Not sure how long its been like this.

Hey S4RSSS,, How did U make out with that back brake?

2007 S4RS
2003 BMW 1150R
2004 450 YZ
S4RSSS

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »

Hey S4RSSS,, How did U make out with that back brake?

they're definitely better than it was from the factory (or the dealer), but they still do not lock up.
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2008, 11:33:44 AM »

At about 50mph I went from 4th to 2nd and let go of the clutch lever. A few yards of rear chatter, so not fool proof anyway.
At a track here, there is a very tight 1st gear hairpin bend preceded by a short straight that is flat out in 5th, I'm on the brakes hard and bang the box down to first clutch out in one movement, I have never experienced and rear wheel hop or lock up, prior to fitting the slipper I was sometimes out of control at this point with the rear wheel hop. The slipper improved my lap times immensely. I can conentrate on geeting round without having to compensate for the rear wheel getting out of shape, the best mod I have ever made.

Capo de tuti capi
S4RSSS

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »

At a track here, there is a very tight 1st gear hairpin bend preceded by a short straight that is flat out in 5th, I'm on the brakes hard and bang the box down to first clutch out in one movement, I have never experienced and rear wheel hop or lock up, prior to fitting the slipper I was sometimes out of control at this point with the rear wheel hop. The slipper improved my lap times immensely. I can conentrate on geeting round without having to compensate for the rear wheel getting out of shape, the best mod I have ever made.

now i REALLY want a slipper clutch  [moto] ... dangit... slipper or a QuatD midpipe and a re-map... decisions-decisions.
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2008, 02:31:14 PM »

A lightened flywheel can accomplish much of the same. Note that slipper clutches aren't for regular street riders. They're great for bike night, but in 10k miles, the basket and/or hub can be all torn up. My 2 cents is to try a light flywheel first to see if it gets the job done well enough for your riding and try to stick with it. Taking 4ish pounds off of the already very heavy crank assembly lets the engine rev up easily enough that it normally doesn't unhitch the rear wheel when down shifting.

imho, the newer Ducatis aren't as bad as the older ones... on my 96 916, the flywheel effect was so bad that the first time I rode it at willow springs, I almost drove off turn 1 from the rear wheel hop. And I was being pretty careful given it was new to me ... and had plenty of experience on the track already with my previous 900ss (that had a light flywheel).

Racing? Do whatever floats yer boat. That's a different reality entirely. Grin

JDS 07 S4Rs

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2008, 08:51:33 PM »

they're definitely better than it was from the factory (or the dealer), but they still do not lock up.

Some function in the Junction isnt right. A stupid question,, but, Are U pulling the clutch in while applying the back brake ? I would get your dealer to fix that "FOR FREE"

2007 S4RS
2003 BMW 1150R
2004 450 YZ
pjd

'07 S4Rs -- '99 M944

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2008, 12:40:54 PM »

sorry--a little ON topic... trying to install the sato right side heel guard on my s4rs.  the rear master sticks out and will not allow the heel guard to lie flat against the master cylinder holder.
did those that have installed the right side guard have any problems, and if so, what did you do?
thanks!!
asado

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »

sorry--a little ON topic... trying to install the sato right side heel guard on my s4rs.  the rear master sticks out and will not allow the heel guard to lie flat against the master cylinder holder.
did those that have installed the right side guard have any problems, and if so, what did you do?
thanks!!

A few washers will do the trick.  I left mine as is and its fine
S4RSSS

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2008, 03:43:31 PM »

yea, i just used some extra washers i had laying around. (i for each bolt was perfect)
silentbob
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,361382,00.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: