Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:40:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire ratings  (Read 215365 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2013, 02:00:53 AM »

I know that, Howie. But what does max pressure on tyre means? What will happen if I ride at max pressure?
On your Monster, if you ride at max pressure, the tire will not warm up as well and traction will suffer.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

kokis

« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2013, 02:58:11 AM »

So how warm tire actually gets at normal pressure?
There is summer right now and road is hot as kitchen pan. Can't believe that tire will remain cold at that ambient temperatures.

I am not pro in tech questions, but as any rider have some experience that I can share without claiming to absolute truth. Please use my advices responsibly.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2013, 03:30:18 AM »

So how warm tire actually gets at normal pressure?
There is summer right now and road is hot as kitchen pan. Can't believe that tire will remain cold at that ambient temperatures.
I didn't say it will stay cold.

I said it won't perform the way it was designed to because it won't reach the temperature it's supposed to.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2013, 10:18:25 AM »

What I said.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
kokis

« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2013, 06:06:36 PM »

but it does not explanes pretty much.
I talked with my buddies tonight and was said that high pressure will damage the rim as the low pressure, that hard pressurized tire will damage rim on bumps and potholes.. Sounds like bullshit for me.
I am ok with less traction, it is 14T m696, there is no so much speeds, and I don't won't damage rim on bump and instantly lose control because of instantly flattened tire.

I am not pro in tech questions, but as any rider have some experience that I can share without claiming to absolute truth. Please use my advices responsibly.
red baron

« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »

Pilot Power 3's:

So I had these installed with 3k on the bike. First rear picked up a staple at 500 miles so I elected to replace it. These have been great to date awesome wear, no flat spotting, almost instant warm up (although it is California  Wink when I tend to get a bit ham fisted on corner exits, it will predictable slide a bit which just tells me to slow down a bit I'm on a public road and have all intentions of going home in the same condition I left.

I'm now at 7k+ and no issues so far and they appear that they're approaching the halfway mark. Best wear I've seen yet from a Michelin. waytogo

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2013, 12:21:23 AM »

Any recommendations for those looking to run motard wheels (3" front/4" rear) on a dual purpose bike, say 120/70/17 & 150-160/60/17?
 Any brands stand out in those sizes.

Role would be mainly touring with pillion and gear on country highways and mountain back roads and occasional good dirt roads thrown in.

2015 Scrambler 800
Mhanis

« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2013, 06:18:38 PM »

I finally had the Dunlop Roadsmart II's fitted to my '09 M1100. Unfortunately when they called to tell me my bike was ready for pickup I was pretty deep into a HEAVY rum & coke so the bike will sit there until Tuesday.

I have just over 18,000 miles on the bike and do about 80% commuting, I'll let you know how they hold up.

Mark

I just changed the rear and I have 26,000 on the bike now so the rear lasted 8,000 miles. It could have gone a bit longer but not much. The front still looks pretty good.

And I probably did 90% commuting.

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
ellingly

« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2013, 06:40:18 PM »

Any recommendations for those looking to run motard wheels (3" front/4" rear) on a dual purpose bike, say 120/70/17 & 150-160/60/17?
 Any brands stand out in those sizes.

Role would be mainly touring with pillion and gear on country highways and mountain back roads and occasional good dirt roads thrown in.
3" and 4" you'd probably want to run 110 - 150. You can run sportdemons in those sizes though need 150/70-17 on the back and they're excellent. Only FHE I have with them is on the woman's baby Ninja but it's good... even had some at pace rides on some good gravel and dirt on it though. Scorpion trails wouldn't be bad either if you want it to be slightly more dirt focussed - I think that's what the strudle runs, but they make them in smaller sizes too.
If you were less worried about the dirt, Pilot Powers come in a 150 rear which would be fine. If you want to really be excellent on the road going around corners, we run supercorsas on the woman's RGV which is 110 front 150 rear.

Team Ghetto Racing: motorcycle racing and riding on a budget
2006 Ducati MS2R1000 road | 1973 Suzuki GT250 cafe race | 1982 Yamaha RD250LC race | 1991 Suzuki GSXR750 perpetual project | 1984 Suzuki TS250x vintage enduro | 1997 Honda CT110 postie of death | 1982 Kawasaki KH100 bucket racer
red baron

« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2013, 06:14:51 AM »

Pilot Power 3 update:

So I'm now at 8k and the tires have 5k on them. I'll probably get another couple hundred miles and replace them. The center strips could easily go anoth 500+ but the sides are pretty well shaved down to the wear bars. I've already got a second set of these. So far theyve been a good value and great performers.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2013, 12:09:04 PM »

Angel ST rear is smoked at 4300 miles. A 1 inch strip of cords is showing in the center. No burnous, just lots of commuting.

KTM 950 $MR

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2013, 06:48:54 PM »

Angel ST rear is smoked at 4300 miles. A 1 inch strip of cords is showing in the center. No burnous, just lots of commuting.

KTM 950 $MR

Wow.

I've gotten >10k on 2 Angel ST's in 90% commuting.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2013, 06:51:54 PM »

Wow.

I've gotten >10k on 2 Angel ST's in 90% commuting.

I do not understand this concept!

Some other smr guys have gone 7000ish but it seems most of us are killing rears at less than 5k.

All I can guess is heavy throttle and heavy engine braking lead to the wear.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #163 on: September 16, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »

Looked at my M750 logbook, I got 11,733 miles out of a 160/60 Angel ST.

Bulk of that was easy 75%freeway/25%suburban commute.
But including ~2000 miles on a summer coastal tour last year, loaded down with me and 75# of gear.

But an M750 is not an 950SMR, and my roads are not your roads.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
creaking leathers
IBA # 20880

STFU and Ride.

« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2013, 06:09:03 PM »

I do not understand this concept!

Some other smr guys have gone 7000ish but it seems most of us are killing rears at less than 5k.

All I can guess is heavy throttle and heavy engine braking lead to the wear.

The condition of the roads will make a huge difference in the longevity of tires.  Rougher roads will eat up tires faster...as will heavy acceleration and engine braking/rear braking on the rear tire. 

"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land.
And his forehead was branded, and he did become a sign
and a warning to all the people."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: