Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 12:41:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire ratings  (Read 215345 times)
ctrain

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2010, 01:33:27 PM »

BT56, 5850 miles... without turning.vomit

Fixed it for ya.   waytogo
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 01:34:59 PM by ctrain » Logged

Bikes I've jumped and/or crashed:
84 Kawasaki KDX 80 - Bike i learned to ride on when I was young(er)
84 Kawasaki KDX 200 - First naked bike. crashed so frequently the plastics wouldnt stay on.
99 KTM 620 - If you could even get the thing kick started in the first place...
02 Yamaha Zuma - not a motorcycle but still crashed and jumped it way too many times.
04 Harley Road King Classic - Awesome story behind this
06 Ducati S2R 1000 - neither.... yet.
Holden
Sausage Creature

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2010, 10:03:46 PM »

Fixed it for ya.   waytogo

No kidding! laughingdp

I neglected to mention that I rode through 10 miles of molten tar on two separate occasions and literally had to saw it off the centerline each time... burnouts didn't seem to do the trick no matter how long I tried. Huh?

DaniD

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2010, 07:36:50 AM »

I need new front and rear tires and am looking at getting a set of Metzeler RoadTech Z6's.  The tires I have now (Pirelli's, don't ask what kind) were on the bike when I bought it used so I don't really know how good tires should feel as they had a good amount of wear when I bought it.  I plan on riding more this year and doing mostly local or city riding to and from work and weekend, country road riding.  I'm looking for something not terribly expensive and that will inspire more confidence (I dropped it last summer and really want to dig in a little and boost myself back up)  Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

"Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends."
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2010, 02:48:19 PM »

I need new front and rear tires and am looking at getting a set of Metzeler RoadTech Z6's.  The tires I have now (Pirelli's, don't ask what kind) were on the bike when I bought it used so I don't really know how good tires should feel as they had a good amount of wear when I bought it.  I plan on riding more this year and doing mostly local or city riding to and from work and weekend, country road riding.  I'm looking for something not terribly expensive and that will inspire more confidence (I dropped it last summer and really want to dig in a little and boost myself back up)  Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

Try Sport Touring tires if you're not into canyon carving or track days. They offer more depth of tread and still have lots of grip.

Currently I'm running Dunlop D220[discontinued, although some stores still carry them] and they're great in wet and dry; I've leaned my bike more with these tires than with the OEM Pirelli set it came with.

Might take a look at the following, http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/1/0/0/DEPARTMENT/Street-Bike-Sport-Touring-Tires-Tires.aspx#&&Back=159-0 and http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/1/0/0/DEPARTMENT/Street-Bike-Sport-Touring-Tires-Tires.aspx#&&Back=351-0

My 0.02...

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2010, 06:25:40 PM »

I need new front and rear tires and am looking at getting a set of Metzeler RoadTech Z6's.  The tires I have now (Pirelli's, don't ask what kind) were on the bike when I bought it used so I don't really know how good tires should feel as they had a good amount of wear when I bought it.  I plan on riding more this year and doing mostly local or city riding to and from work and weekend, country road riding.  I'm looking for something not terribly expensive and that will inspire more confidence (I dropped it last summer and really want to dig in a little and boost myself back up)  Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

If I was buying a sport touring tire it would be a Michelin Pilot Road 2.
ellingly

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2010, 03:16:24 PM »

I love my Road2s. I got about 18000 km out of a front, and 15000km out of a rear. And I don't ride that slowly on my 06 S2R1k.

I have a trackday coming up, and I managed to get my hands on a set of the Power Pure: this is the replacement for the Power 2CT and are a very sticky tyre. Supposedly have a narrower hard centre, and softer sides. They're also meant to be light. First impression is they are indeed sticky... there's a couple of tight corners here where I can manage to get the Road2s a bit unsettled; the Pures just stick and stick and stick. Come up to temperature nicely, too.

Will have a report on what they're like at the track next Sunday.

For everyday riding/commuting/touring, I'll stick with the Road2s. Their longevity is fantastic AND they stick nicely on the sides, too. Great in the wet. But I'm a big fan of these Pures; if all I was after were tyres I'd use on weekends for hitting the twisties, it'd be these guys.

Team Ghetto Racing: motorcycle racing and riding on a budget
2006 Ducati MS2R1000 road | 1973 Suzuki GT250 cafe race | 1982 Yamaha RD250LC race | 1991 Suzuki GSXR750 perpetual project | 1984 Suzuki TS250x vintage enduro | 1997 Honda CT110 postie of death | 1982 Kawasaki KH100 bucket racer
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2010, 03:18:52 PM »

I love my Road2s. I got about 18000 km out of a front, and 15000km out of a rear. And I don't ride that slowly on my 06 S2R1k.

I have a trackday coming up, and I managed to get my hands on a set of the Power Pure: this is the replacement for the Power 2CT and are a very sticky tyre. Supposedly have a narrower hard centre, and softer sides. They're also meant to be light. First impression is they are indeed sticky... there's a couple of tight corners here where I can manage to get the Road2s a bit unsettled; the Pures just stick and stick and stick. Come up to temperature nicely, too.

Will have a report on what they're like at the track next Sunday.

For everyday riding/commuting/touring, I'll stick with the Road2s. Their longevity is fantastic AND they stick nicely on the sides, too. Great in the wet. But I'm a big fan of these Pures; if all I was after were tyres I'd use on weekends for hitting the twisties, it'd be these guys.
My understanding is the Pure is in addition to the Power 2ct...not yet replacing.

If you look closely you'll notice the profiles are drastically different.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

dax

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2010, 02:21:15 AM »

wow....
I definately am only getting 3k miles a rear. couple trips to the mountains and lots of wheelies per rear are taking care of that I guess. 
I've been running qualifiers for now and switching to PP's
ellingly

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2010, 01:20:23 PM »

My understanding is the Pure is in addition to the Power 2ct...not yet replacing.

If you look closely you'll notice the profiles are drastically different.
In Aus they've discontinued the Power 2CT and aren't getting any more stock in, just the Pure.

Range here is pretty much Road2, Power, Power Pure, Power One.

2006 Ducati MS2R1000 road | 1973 Suzuki GT250 cafe race | 1982 Yamaha RD250LC race | 1991 Suzuki GSXR750 perpetual project | 1984 Suzuki TS250x vintage enduro | 1997 Honda CT110 postie of death | 1982 Kawasaki KH100 bucket racer
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2010, 02:56:04 AM »

In Aus they've discontinued the Power 2CT and aren't getting any more stock in, just the Pure.

Range here is pretty much Road2, Power, Power Pure, Power One.
At least they've still kept the more triangular power so riders can have a choice of shape.

I guess I'll be moving up to the power one for the track as all the old Power Race in 180 are gone.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DCXCV

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2010, 09:21:29 AM »

My riding is probably 85% commuting - about 20 miles each way.  Most of that is twisties (although it was straight roads on the commute for the first 20k I put on the bike.)

Got 8-9k out of the original BT056 rear and 17k 14k out of the BT056 front that came on the bike.

Since then I've gone through three more rears - all at about the same 8k mileage.  One rear was run to the warning stripe above the cord - the rest found nails, etc.  Two of those rears were Pilot Power 2CT's and the other was a BT056.  I'm now on my fifth rear - another PP2CT and I feel very confident on those tires.

For the front I'm closing in on 18k on a PP2CT and it's about time for a replacement.  I'm tempted to try the new Pure, but at the moment I'd rather not drop extra $ on a tire that might not last as long.  When I have some extra cash I'll give them a go, but for now I'll stick with what's working.

I had the estimated mileage on my original front wrong - got 14k out of the BT056 and 22k out of the PP2CT which I just replaced last month with another of the same.  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:22:54 AM by DCXCV » Logged

"I tend to ride faster when I can't see where I'm going. Everything works out better that way." -- Colin Edwards
ellingly

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »

I won't comment on their longevity but... I loved the Pures on the track. I reckon they were up to temp within a corner or two. Someone else with them (on a VFR800 - non-VTEC) reckoned they were squirmier for longer they were brilliant on the Monster.

Very tasty - rear's already fitted to my gixxer trackbike now. Will do the front once I get back from fieldwork (need a new Road2 front for the Monster).

Blake

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »

S2R w/ 20k miles.  O.E. Pirelli Supersport rear went 7k miles.  Front went 15k.  Stuck w/ Supersport for the front again and a Rosso for the rear, it lasted 9.5k.  Now I've got a Dunlop Roadsmart on the rear and the Pirelli up front.  I'm doing 130 miles a day and need the tires to last as long as possible.  Got the Dunlop on special and if it performs well, I'll stick w/ them.  I don't notice any goofy handling when leaned over w/ the mismatched tires either.  Almost went w/ the Michelins, but I work for Goodyear and had to support the company.   Wink

Later
DaFoose
Falling in Love with my

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2010, 09:06:47 AM »

I have Pilot Road 2 (not 2ct) love them, although next tire will be the 2ct. For me it takes lots of miles to get anywhere with twisties, so lots of straight driving. Roads are perfect for that. so far have somewhere between 4-5k miles on front and 3.5k miles on rear. Starting to square abit, but like I said lots of straight line driving. Still have some chicken strips on them, so I pushed them all the way, but have never had any slippage (less than 100 miles in the wet though).

For me I wish I had spend the extra $20-30 and went with the 2ct because I think they would have better touring milage. But either way totally worth it. I think I spent between $200-250 shipped between both tires.

2001 Monster 900 S i.e.  Most recent mods: Smoke integrated tail light with full custom tailchop, Tail Risers
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2010, 01:31:41 PM »

Got the Dunlop...  but I work for Goodyear and had to support the company.   Wink
Later

OK OK OK , so Goodyear owns Dunlop? Did I read it right?

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: