Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 04:00:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire ratings  (Read 215373 times)
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2009, 08:54:26 AM »

I've had good luck with the Diablo Supersports ~

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
GraGra

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 07:35:30 AM »

Just thought I'd post this - might help for someone...

Bike is S2R1K - originally came with  BT 014 - they seemed like good tires - got about 11,000kms out of the set - and that included about 4 track days..The front became quite pointy - and the rear was fairly evenly worn. Quite happy with the performance overall.

I recently lost my job -and thought I may need to sell my bike - so I replaced them with a used set of tires - power 2ct front - and power "normal" rear. Unfortunately, the rear was punctured and plugged after only a thousand clicks, so I didn't;t get to track them.

BUT, on the road, they did seem to follow road irregularities a bit more. I did get a chance to ride them through plenty of twisties, and although they never let me down, I never really felt super confident either. i was really hoping I could get them to the track to compare - but just didn't;t happen. The rear started losing air shortly after - and I have now replaced with another near new set of OEM Pilot Roads. The ones that come OEM on Triumph Tiger - the "Tractor Tread" pattern.

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/index.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004104045&codePage=2092004104045_09092004142252&lang=EN

I have completed about 600 Kms on these tires now - and a lot of that was in the wet, the rest of it was through damp twisty roads - and dry expressway conditions.

I can say that so far the tire lives up to its promise of great stability at speed and traction in the wet. The rubber compound feels good to the touch - and I am looking forward to some more spirited riding on them and taking them to the track also to see how they hold up against the BT 014s.

If the Pilot Road 2 ct's are a natural progression of these, I can imagine they must be really something.

Lots of peoplewhere I live are running Pirelli. No first hand experience - except a few mild laps in an 848 fitted with OEM supercorsa's - I wonder if something of the likes of the Corsa 3 or the Diablo Rosso's will offer grip more immediately - at the expense of longer term durability..?

Then there's the new Pirelli Angel...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:39:44 AM by GraGra » Logged
ghostface
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »

A follow up to my thread about sport tires vs sport-touring tires and maximizing the potential of a sport-touring tire.

Well I bought a pair of Michelin Pilot Road tires off ebay for $259 shipped, then a $40 mount and balance from National City Motorcycles (shout out to Rob and John).

Skeptical as a mofo, I rode with the San Diego Ducati club on one of their Sunday rides to Portrero. I pretty much too it easy on the ride as I had new tires and I was new to the group. Well, these guys hauled ass!  [moto]

After breaking for food, on the return trip (fully caffeinated) I turned it up a notch. I fully engaged the tire in all turns and my confidence level was pretty high. No slippage whatsoever. After I got home, I checked the tires and I was just touching the little Michelin man and arrow. I have a bit more to go but I was impressed and confident.

I'll post a pic when I get home. In any event, my conclusion is that ST tires are suitable for canyon carving and sport tires are to be left for the track.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »

I commute daily through the twisties in both dry and wet weather and the Pilot Road 2CTs are still going strong for me after 9000 miles. waytogo

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
the_Journeyman

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 09:11:08 AM »

Good news for me!  I'll be trying those on Molly next it sounds like, maybe just the regular Road though.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

red baron

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2009, 06:06:49 PM »

Good news for me!  I'll be trying those on Molly next it sounds like, maybe just the regular Road though.

JM

Why bother with the ol skool version?

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
TURNnBURN

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »

I ride Diablo Stratas and I will never own another pair as long as I ride a sport bike. For touring they would be great. I have about 3000 miles on without any real sign of wear. The problem is they slip on Gorilla Snot and my friend who also rides a Duc was in front of me doin about 75 through a tunnel and he went to lean in to the turn and held his line. I leaned into the turn and two wheel drifted over two lanes only to have the tires finally grip the pavement 2 feet from the retaining wall. Needless to say I thought it was the end of all ends for me!
nicrosato
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a

Red Dog with Yellow Dog

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2009, 01:22:45 PM »

I just posted elsewhere before I (duh!) noticed this thread: I having BT-021'sa fitted to my '01 M900, replacing the Pilot Sports that were on there. I do no track days and the bike is mainly a commuter. Dealer (The Most Excellent Joe at SuperMoto Italia) recommended the 021's for the way I ride in order to get the most mileage.

Anybody have any experience with these tires over a few thousand miles?

Nobody said that I did. Everyone says that I would.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »

My bike came with Pirelli Diablo's, here where I live, rains a lot, tires lasted about 5k and I replaced them with Dunlop D220 and what a change they made in dry and wet[sadly Dunlop discontinued these], my next set of tires will most probably be a set of Dunlops RoadSmart in OEM size.
From my experience in autos, Bridgestone, too much $$ and no life, too soft, Michelin, well, for me the best tires around but, out of my budget and Continental's, have read too many mixed reviews and I don't do track days(where I've read they excell)[no tracks in Panama]...
Since I had an accident, and my budget is very very limited, I'll install some Shinko's, untill I can get on my feet again, and then I'll get the Dunlops.

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2009, 06:44:47 AM »

I just fitted my Supersport with its first set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso tires in 180/55-17 and 120/70-17.  These replaced a set of Pilot Powers in 170/60-17 and 120/70-17 which wore out following about 1500 miles of abuse in mostly sport riding.  I fitted the Rossos in preparation for a track day here in Albuquerque.

The Rossos heat up quickly (I felt comfortable pushing them after about 2 laps of scuffing-in) and have amazing edge grip for a DOT compound street/track tire.  Their profile encourages smooth, positive steering inputs without feeling like the bike is "falling in".  Wear after approximately 90 minutes of track time is substantial, with enough rubber pellets and goop hanging off of them to remind me of some race tires I used back in the late 80s.  The rear slid predictably and gave plenty of notice that it was considering doing so.  I didn't push the front hard enough to tell you about it's slide characteristics during this particular outing, so I guess you're on your own figuring that out.

At $135 rear and $105 front, I'll definitely be buying more Diablo Rossos.

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
bazz20
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2009, 09:13:36 PM »

i just put 400 kays of riding tight twisty cravel covered road on a set of rosso too and after taking the powers of , theres only a couple of things really to say about them they are more stickier than the powers but with greater tread depth so should last longer than the pp,the rosso,s  are more stable cranked right over as cloner said i put that down to having wire in the side walls and that solid rubber band with no tread on them the bike s2r 1000 does turn in easer and stayed there even under braking deep in the corner, by mid trip i was thowing the bike around alot more than i  normally do but couldnt get the front to let go it just stayed planted ,i often scrape my boots but yesterday the pegs got scraped , for the roads around here they were brilliant and when they hit the loose gravel they slid and griped with out a wobble bloody brilliant tryes bazz waytogo 
the_Journeyman

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2009, 08:21:09 AM »

Pirelli Angels - After a spirited ride on a very tight and technical road I have to say they stick nicely.  I only had one slip incident, and it could have easily been my throttle application as my tires that led to the slip.  These are on my 900SS ~

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

Desmostro

alis volat propriis

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2010, 06:49:33 PM »

Pirelli Dragon Super Corsa Pro - OEM on the 848 SBK***

Stickiest tires I've ever ridden in all conditions, responsive, lightweight, great feel.
They seem to hook up right off the bat, cold. The coldest I've ridden them in was around 40F, albeit conservatively.
I've never gotten them to slip or spin after break in until they were very treadless. My normal ridding is done at about 65 - 80Fdegrees ambient temp.

I rode about 5,000 miles on the rear before the shape was gone and the center was bald.
There is very little tread on them new, about 4mm. About half as much tread as the Diablo Corse III's.
I went through two rear tires in 10,000 miles with a decent amount of tread on the outer edges.

The front lasted about 6,500 miles.

I'm now trying the Diablo Corse III's hoping to get more miles out of them.
So far, also very confident and sticky tires.

***These are the most expensive street tires Pirelli offers, touted as their top of the line street/track day tire.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room
Holden
Sausage Creature

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2010, 10:15:19 PM »

BT56, 5850 miles... vomit

No threads were visible 20 miles before this photo was taken. Wondering if it'll make it through the week (PR2s already in the mail, luckily).
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2010, 01:40:43 AM »

BT56, 5850 miles... vomit

No threads were visible 20 miles before this photo was taken. Wondering if it'll make it through the week (PR2s already in the mail, luckily).

That tire will be fine as long as you don't ride the bike Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: