Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 19, 2024, 01:01:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 664784 times)
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2835 on: May 12, 2014, 06:19:33 AM »

Jonathan, I don't think you crossed the line, yet. I think DP was trying to stop you before you actually did.

We are aware that Ducati is owned by Audi. We discussed the sale in separate threads. I know it's difficult to read through almost 200 pages, but if you look back you'll see all the dirt around the settlement.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #2836 on: June 26, 2014, 10:21:12 AM »

Boo boo
~3 years after Caswell coating the replacement tank it has started to slowly expand...Booooo boo
twolanefun

« Reply #2837 on: June 26, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »

I'm shocked - not. Of course others will tell you it was not applied correctly which is IMHO part of the reason that Ducati did not offer it as part of a solution, the solution is more art than science. I think the M1200S with a metal tank is going to be more attractive to many buyers, plumbing on left side surely does not look as bad as warped/deformed fuel tank. - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
01' Victory Sportcruiser 30K miles, 04' Victory Kingpin - 111K+ miles
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
13' Diavel - 13K+ Miles Pay attention and things will be okay
EX-MSF Instructor, EX-President MAD
AMA Charter Life Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member
Patriot Guard Rider
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2838 on: June 26, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »

Wasn't applied correctly.

Mine was a test for it and still perfect.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Ducatamount

« Reply #2839 on: June 27, 2014, 02:51:33 AM »

Why isn't this thread in tech?

half fast
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2840 on: June 27, 2014, 05:24:52 AM »

Boo boo
~3 years after Caswell coating the replacement tank it has started to slowly expand...Booooo boo

Take the tank off.
Let it fully dry -- CAREFULLY rinse it out with acetone or xylene to get the gas residue out.
Let it sit in a dry place as long as you can -- it will shrink back.
You can apply a half-can of Caswell's on top of the old Caswell.  You don't need to remove it.  Reduce it about 10-15% with xylene.

My fear is that a lot of hacks have done these coatings and stories like this will start appearing.  If the coating was not done properly, it can delaminate or just not have full coverage. 

People who did the coating but did not reduce the coating will likely show up with non-coverage problems.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2841 on: June 27, 2014, 05:29:00 AM »

Take the tank off.
Let it fully dry -- CAREFULLY rinse it out with acetone or xylene to get the gas residue out.
Let it sit in a dry place as long as you can -- it will shrink back.
You can apply a half-can of Caswell's on top of the old Caswell.  You don't need to remove it.  Reduce it about 10-15% with xylene.

My fear is that a lot of hacks have done these coatings and stories like this will start appearing.  If the coating was not done properly, it can delaminate or just notjavascript:void(0); have full coverage. 

People who did the coating but did not reduce the coating will likely show up with non-coverage problems.
This...

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2842 on: June 27, 2014, 05:35:19 AM »

This...

to be fair, the first tank I did was my S2R tank and I did not reduce the coating, but it was a Pain In The Ass, Royale to make sure the coating got everywhere in the tank. I literally spent 2+ hours turning the tank by hand.

The later tanks I did, I reduced the mix and it was FAR FAR FAR easier to get coating and I believe (but can't prove) the reduced coating adheres better since the xylene penetrates the nylon just a tiny bit and I ahve to assume it pulls some of the epoxy with it.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2843 on: June 27, 2014, 06:33:41 AM »

to be fair, the first tank I did was my S2R tank and I did not reduce the coating, but it was a Pain In The Ass, Royale to make sure the coating got everywhere in the tank. I literally spent 2+ hours turning the tank by hand.

The later tanks I did, I reduced the mix and it was FAR FAR FAR easier to get coating and I believe (but can't prove) the reduced coating adheres better since the xylene penetrates the nylon just a tiny bit and I ahve to assume it pulls some of the epoxy with it.
First time I used the Caswell I had the same experience.

It was not a plastic tank, but a custom fiberglass thing.

A real PITA to use straight.

As you are aware the product was designed to seal perforated metal tanks without running out of the holes. That's why it flows like concrete. For a protective seal it doesn't need to be anywhere near that viscous.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #2844 on: June 27, 2014, 11:44:28 AM »

I'll give a shout out to GTL.  http://www.gastanklining.com/

They did my tank and I'm happy with the results so far.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
blalor

« Reply #2845 on: September 22, 2015, 07:05:35 PM »

I know this thread is old, and everyone's probably sick of the topic, but I did some searching and this is where I've ended up. What are folks doing about swollen tanks now that the even the extended warranty is up? The newest bike in the settlement is just about out of the extended warranty. I looked at an '06 S2R this evening that's supposedly had the tank replaced and it looks pretty obvious to me that the new tank is expanding, too. Since Ducati didn't change the material, it seems that every S2R is susceptible, right? So what should the owner of a bike with this problem *now* do? Buy a new tank (for a grand!) and Caswell it? Ca-cycleworks tank (which is functional but not very Monster-y)? Attempt to Caswell the existing tank?
twolanefun

« Reply #2846 on: September 23, 2015, 01:09:22 AM »

Not a lot of good options IMHO. The current tank can be dried out and should return to propepr size and shape. Some believe that Caswell would be the solution at that point. My solution was to get rid of my S2R, it was a great bike with some very special mods but I just could not get past the Tank issue. - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
01' Victory Sportcruiser 30K miles, 04' Victory Kingpin - 111K+ miles
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
13' Diavel - 13K+ Miles Pay attention and things will be okay
EX-MSF Instructor, EX-President MAD
AMA Charter Life Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member
Patriot Guard Rider
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2847 on: September 23, 2015, 09:13:25 AM »

I know this thread is old, and everyone's probably sick of the topic, but I did some searching and this is where I've ended up. What are folks doing about swollen tanks now that the even the extended warranty is up? The newest bike in the settlement is just about out of the extended warranty. I looked at an '06 S2R this evening that's supposedly had the tank replaced and it looks pretty obvious to me that the new tank is expanding, too. Since Ducati didn't change the material, it seems that every S2R is susceptible, right? So what should the owner of a bike with this problem *now* do? Buy a new tank (for a grand!) and Caswell it? Ca-cycleworks tank (which is functional but not very Monster-y)? Attempt to Caswell the existing tank?

You dry out the tank and coat it.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2848 on: September 23, 2015, 10:31:17 AM »

I've got an '05 S2R800 tank that I've had hanging from the rafters in my shop for ~5 years.
I'm in SoCal, we've averaged 10" of rain per year during that time.
So it's pretty f'n dry.

It's still ~5mm too wide at the tank rubbers.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2849 on: September 23, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »

I've got an '05 S2R800 tank that I've had hanging from the rafters in my shop for ~5 years.
I'm in SoCal, we've averaged 10" of rain per year during that time.
So it's pretty f'n dry.

It's still ~5mm too wide at the tank rubbers.

Show off

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: