Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 12:00:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 672497 times)
arjay26

« Reply #720 on: August 07, 2010, 09:00:43 AM »

I took my '08 M695 to Hattar Motorsports in San Rafael, CA for a basic check-up.  Eric, the svc mgr took one look at my tank and called it "pregnant" -- without another word he filled out paperwork to order me a new tank under warrantee.  He recommended that I coat the inside to the tune of $235, which I opted for.  He said it should take 2 weeks for the new tank to arrive.

It all seems to be going quite smoothly for me.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #721 on: August 07, 2010, 09:01:01 AM »

Just picked up my bike with new tank today.

Don't want to read through 48 pages of posts but saw the Caswell tank sealer mentioned on page 47. I was considering that for my new tank. Caswell says it will not stick to polyethelyne...Is that what the Monster tanks are made of??

Any success or failures on the list with the Caswell?

TIA

The Ducati tanks are Nylon 6/6 or Polyamide-6.  Lance Caswell says they will stick just fine. 

MTS owners have been using the Caswell now for about a year, no problems of which I am aware and I am following several folks who have this on their tanks.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #722 on: August 07, 2010, 09:13:56 AM »

Well the idea was to seal the tank so the ethanol wouldn't dissolve the plastic. Maybe POR 15 isn't the answer but there must be something else.

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #723 on: August 07, 2010, 09:18:18 AM »

Well the idea was to seal the tank so the ethanol wouldn't dissolve the plastic. Maybe POR 15 isn't the answer but there must be something else.

Gotcha. Try giving them a call and see if it's safe to use on plastic. I know Nate has used it in CF tanks in the past.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #724 on: August 07, 2010, 09:31:08 AM »

I google search for "fuel tank sealer" yielded this:

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/cycle-tank-sealer-plus-kit.html

I'm going to call them on Monday and see what they have to say.

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #725 on: August 07, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »

The problem isn't a direct ethanol:plastic issue.

The problem is that the tanks are made from Nylon 6/6, which -- according to every manufacturer of it -- absorbs water UNLESS treated or coated.

Acerbis did not treat or coat their tanks for Ducati (or anyone else).  There was no reasonable expectation that people would be putting water into their gas tanks, however, additive ethanol which is in pretty much every gallon of gas in the USA wicks moisture from the air at a rate 10-20 times that of E0 (0% ethanol). 

So the problem is caused by E10 gasoline, but not due to a direct interaction of the ethanol and the tanks.  Most accurately, it is due to a behavior of Ethanol interacting with the tank.

I am familiar with POR, but I don't know if it will stick to nylon/polyamide properly.  I know of several (currently 5) multistrada owners who have had the Caswell product in a tank for at least a year or more without any issues. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #726 on: August 07, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »

POR-15 doesn't bond correctly with the nylon.  Mainly due to not being able to "etch" the inner surface enough to bond correctly.

Interesting discovery with the expanding tank issues.  If you drain the tank and put somewhere so air blows through the tank, after a few months it will reshape back to normal.  As some dealerships have discovered, the batch of tanks to be returned aren't as bad as when first removed. Thus maybe one should just have a pair of tanks and swap them every six months perhaps?

Upcoming the EU gets our ethanol mixture of fuel.  Thus it will be interesting what happens in Europe.

I just gave up on the Sport Classic tank expansion issues -- thus doing it in carbonfiber and resolve the problem once and for all.

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #727 on: August 07, 2010, 12:19:12 PM »

the marine industry is experiencing similar issues with E-10 (according to a friend, no FHE) and some are using this product.

Star Tron

I just heard about it, and am going to research a bit and then decide. Anyone else heard of this product?

edit: apparently its kind of $$$$

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #728 on: August 07, 2010, 01:37:11 PM »

fuel additives are not the answer. Your cost of gasoline sky rockets if you need to add something to yuor tank every time.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Old-Duckman

« Reply #729 on: August 07, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »

Thanx , I need to seal an old Bevel fiberglass tank so I think I'll order enough Caswell to do 2 tanks and do the new Monster tank too.
silversled

« Reply #730 on: August 07, 2010, 03:44:05 PM »

I was alternating between two nylon tanks until I realized the madness. 

My 2.0 solution is a 2005 era steel tank!  I'm done with this expansion crap.

Triple J
« Reply #731 on: August 07, 2010, 06:43:45 PM »

I've had good luck with my 2004 Multi tank...and Multi owners are having the same problems as Monster and SC owners.

I used to ride it daily, so the E10 fuel never had enough time to sit and absorb water. I went through a tank per week easy.

Now that I don't ride it daily, I either use fuel stabilizer (prevents the ethanol from separating, thus making water absorption less likely)...or usually I just empty the tank completely (no fuel = no water).

This strategy seems to be working so far, as I have no tank expansion problems. there are plenty of people with replaced tanks that are newer than mine.

Also, I live on the west coast where humidity levels are relatively low. Anyone notice if the more humid parts of the country are experiencing more problems? It would make sense if water absorption is the culprit.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #732 on: August 07, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »

I've had good luck with my 2004 Multi tank...and Multi owners are having the same problems as Monster and SC owners.

I used to ride it daily, so the E10 fuel never had enough time to sit and absorb water. I went through a tank per week easy.

Now that I don't ride it daily, I either use fuel stabilizer (prevents the ethanol from separating, thus making water absorption less likely)...or usually I just empty the tank completely (no fuel = no water).

This strategy seems to be working so far, as I have no tank expansion problems. there are plenty of people with replaced tanks that are newer than mine.

Also, I live on the west coast where humidity levels are relatively low. Anyone notice if the more humid parts of the country are experiencing more problems? It would make sense if water absorption is the culprit.

I had expansion with my 695, west coast, rode daily and filled tank every 1-2 days.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #733 on: August 07, 2010, 08:50:32 PM »

Thus maybe one should just have a pair of tanks and swap them every six months perhaps?

I bought a second tank for custom paint, didn't want to lose the stock tank.  Complete with fuel pump, cap and fittings it is not too bad to swap.  Being able to let the stock tank sit with the cap open and breath for a while is a nice side effect. 

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
Grappa

« Reply #734 on: August 07, 2010, 10:30:26 PM »

This may perhaps be a viable option, though a little expensive...

http://www.moto-works.jp/beater/index.html#d9

No FHE as my moto was a 2001, steel tank, but the aluminum tank is on my list of ultimate WANTS for my next bike.

Ahh... but the servant waits, while the master baits.

Sometimes Aloha means Goodbye.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: