Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:42:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695369 times)
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #2310 on: March 06, 2012, 01:52:24 PM »

Duc750 what I'm saying is if the expansion ultimately causes leaking then a bs kit wont stop the expansion. if you put a kit on and expansion keeps occuring how is that a fix? Does the expansion stop at a certain point?  If yes then I can understand the bs kit and in that case its not bs.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:00:44 PM by uclabiker06 » Logged

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Gadgetech

« Reply #2311 on: March 06, 2012, 05:19:59 PM »

Clearly Gadgetechs' tank was painted.  Gadgetech, did you request to just get the tank and then instal it yourself? FYI the dealership gets paid for the labor to instal the tank on your bike.  Perhaps if you requested to instal it yourself there is nothing in it for them and they are just giving you a hard time in return.

I did ask the service manager if there was anything saying I couldn't take the tank when it came in and install it myself but that was after the determination that I wouldn't get a new tank.  The GM said he would get in touch with the Ducati rep today and if he did, I didn't get a phone call from anyone.  Guess I'll follow up on that tomorrow.  I hate it when people make me act like a jerk and micromanage the whole darn process.  For all I know, he made the call to the rep but it'd been nice if I didn't have to be the one to follow up.
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #2312 on: March 06, 2012, 08:28:43 PM »

Duc750 what I'm saying is if the expansion ultimately causes leaking then a bs kit wont stop the expansion. if you put a kit on and expansion keeps occuring how is that a fix? Does the expansion stop at a certain point?  If yes then I can understand the bs kit and in that case its not bs.

Not all expanded tanks are leaking, only the unfortunate ones that have expanded at the fuel pump under the tank seem to be leaking. If that's the case then the DOT deems that unsafe for operation and Ducati will replace the tank, as long as it's still within the 18 month period the settlement states.

If it's not leaking the DOT couldn't care less, they're not concerned with cosmetics just functional safety.

This is what was told to me by both my dealer and the woman I spoke with at Gerard Gibbs. That being said, my tank was not leaking and had not expanded as bad as others I've seen and I got a new tank. That's why I said earlier that if the suggestion is to just install the "kit" to press the issue with your (generally speaking) dealer and DNA to get a new tank, the worst that could happen is they deny your claim.

As far as the expansion, it was explained to me that the tanks do have a saturation point and should not expand past a certain point. And, at that, if you remove the tank, drain the fuel and wash and dry the tank it will shrink back to normal (after a couple months). PM ducatiz, he's done all sorts of testing on this part in particular. He explained a bit of it to me but this is my only transportation and can't take the tank off for that long.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
uclabiker06

« Reply #2313 on: March 06, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »

As far as the expansion, it was explained to me that the tanks do have a saturation point and should not expand past a certain point. And, at that, if you remove the tank, drain the fuel and wash and dry the tank it will shrink back to normal (after a couple months).

Duc750, thanks this is great information!!! waytogo  I did not know that there was a maximum cieling on the amount of expansion...I like it, as I do not use the bike that often. So since I am being lazy about this Casewll coating what I will do is use K100, keep an eye out for the slightest hint of expansion, and if I see any I will let the tank dry out and then perhaps coat it/let it shrink back.

I think the best way to tell if there is any expansion is to keep an eye on the rubber pads and to listen for any squeeking sounds coming from the front of the seat rubbing against the tank when you sit on it (this squeeking of the seat doesn't occur unless expansion has begun).  

Yes, yes I understand that coating is the best most permanent soution and that if the tank expands there is a chance that all the water will not leave the tank.  I don't use the bike everyday, so whatever.  What an annoying situation this was.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:12:53 PM by uclabiker06 » Logged

2006 S2R
2009 Smart
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #2314 on: March 07, 2012, 03:16:30 AM »

As far as the expansion, it was explained to me that the tanks do have a saturation point and should not expand past a certain point. And, at that, if you remove the tank, drain the fuel and wash and dry the tank it will shrink back to normal (after a couple months). PM ducatiz, he's done all sorts of testing on this part in particular. He explained a bit of it to me but this is my only transportation and can't take the tank off for that long.

But what they didn't tell you, is that there is no way of knowing what damage has occurred to the actual structure of the nylon during the swelling.  Sure, it might return back to (or at least close) its original dimensions after you drain and dry it, but how the did water absorption effect the molecular structure of the nylon?  Was there enough water absorbed to actual cause damage there?  If so, how much was it weakened?   

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2315 on: March 07, 2012, 06:19:42 AM »

Duc750, thanks this is great information!!! waytogo  I did not know that there was a maximum cieling on the amount of expansion...I like it, as I do not use the bike that often. So since I am being lazy about this Casewll coating what I will do is use K100, keep an eye out for the slightest hint of expansion, and if I see any I will let the tank dry out and then perhaps coat it/let it shrink back.

I think the best way to tell if there is any expansion is to keep an eye on the rubber pads and to listen for any squeeking sounds coming from the front of the seat rubbing against the tank when you sit on it (this squeeking of the seat doesn't occur unless expansion has begun).  

Yes, yes I understand that coating is the best most permanent soution and that if the tank expands there is a chance that all the water will not leave the tank.  I don't use the bike everyday, so whatever.  What an annoying situation this was.

yeah, the tank saturates at about 10%.  once they hit that, there is no more expansion, but that's pretty big.  the test tank i saturated expanded about 2" in width. 

But what they didn't tell you, is that there is no way of knowing what damage has occurred to the actual structure of the nylon during the swelling.  Sure, it might return back to (or at least close) its original dimensions after you drain and dry it, but how the did water absorption effect the molecular structure of the nylon?  Was there enough water absorbed to actual cause damage there?  If so, how much was it weakened?   

From all accounts, there is no lasting damage to the material once the water leaves.  I've talked with 4 different polymer engineers and they all said the same thing. 

That doesn't mean the moisture can't leave damage.  If it works under the paint and collects in a pocket, it can separate the paint.  Inspect the surface carefully and run your fingertips over it with your eyes closed.  Yes, if your wife walks in while you do this, it looks bad.  Take it from me.  But closing your eyes helps you focus on the surface.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2316 on: March 07, 2012, 06:26:30 AM »

Inspect the surface carefully and run your fingertips over it with your eyes closed.  Yes, if your wife walks in while you do this, it looks bad.  Take it from me. 

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

Ah - the things you do for us  chug

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2317 on: March 07, 2012, 06:53:00 AM »

I know.. right?  And the abuse I take..   Cry Cry

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2318 on: March 07, 2012, 07:46:38 AM »

Inspect the surface carefully and run your fingertips over it with your eyes closed.  Yes, if your wife walks in while you do this, it looks bad.  Take it from me.  But closing your eyes helps you focus on the surface.

quietly hum to yourself at the same time....  it will make the situation more awkward for her.

uclabiker06

« Reply #2319 on: March 07, 2012, 07:54:01 AM »

applause (that applause is for Ducatiz) 

So basically if you got the kit fix I guess you have to empty out the tank and let it shrink so it doesnt get to the paint.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:03:06 AM by uclabiker06 » Logged

2006 S2R
2009 Smart
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #2320 on: March 07, 2012, 12:25:44 PM »

applause (that applause is for Ducatiz) 

So basically if you got the kit fix I guess you have to empty out the tank and let it shrink so it doesnt get to the paint.

It's probably best to just coat the tank with Caswell if you're gonna drain it. Save yourself future headaches!!

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2321 on: March 07, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »

I know.. right?  And the abuse I take..   Cry Cry
Everything you get in this life...

you deserve. Kiss

Doesn't always work out well.  Undecided

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2322 on: March 07, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »

Everything you get in this life...

you deserve. Kiss

Doesn't always work out well.  Undecided

nah.  plenty of people get things they don't deserve.

but that's another conversation..

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2323 on: March 07, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »

The kits do not stop expansion.

In fact, they allow it.

The kits are designed to permit the tank to expand and not bind on other parts of the bike.

I don't know what happens when the tank CONTRACTS though.  I guess it means you have to get the tank readjusted.

Consider it a "design on the fly"

Gadgetech

« Reply #2324 on: March 07, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »

I don't know what happens when the tank CONTRACTS though.  I guess it means you have to get the tank readjusted.

Consider it a "design on the fly"

I wonder if now that VW owns Ducati  Roll Eyes they will take up a new slogan?  " The all new fully adjustable fuel tank by Ducati...for when your bike gets bloated"
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: