Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 31, 2024, 10:41:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 699675 times)
hbliam
« Reply #2595 on: December 04, 2012, 08:06:11 PM »

It was not discovered until the day I took it to the dealer.  The dealer went over the entire bike with a fine tooth comb and knew exactly what he was buying.

I would not have knowingly sold the bike with a swollen tank to someone.

So, FTR, I didn't tell you the tank was swollen when you considered buying it 5 to 6 months ago, because, well, the tank was fine last summer.  Heck, it was fine at the beginning of November.

I was referring to it being on a third tank.
twolanefun

« Reply #2596 on: December 05, 2012, 06:00:47 AM »

This problem is not unique to Ducati. Triumphs and Aprilias are affected as well...

At last count there are 25 bikes/models on the list. I like some of the other solutions, back to metal tanks. Why is Ducati still selling models such as the 848 streetfighter with the same potential problem?

- Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
01' Victory Sportcruiser 30K miles, 04' Victory Kingpin - 111K+ miles
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
13' Diavel - 13K+ Miles Pay attention and things will be okay
EX-MSF Instructor, EX-President MAD
AMA Charter Life Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member
Patriot Guard Rider
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2597 on: December 05, 2012, 06:14:17 AM »

At last count there are 25 bikes/models on the list. I like some of the other solutions, back to metal tanks. Why is Ducati still selling models such as the 848 streetfighter with the same potential problem?

- Gene

It is >possible< that Acerbis has come up with either a different formulation or some sort of barrier that prevents moisture from being absorbed.  I haven't heard of any 848s affected yet.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
twolanefun

« Reply #2598 on: December 05, 2012, 06:45:03 AM »

If they had I'm sure there woud be plenty of reasons to make that part of the sales pitch, I'm not aware on any such thing. Believe what you want, personally I'm glad I did not buy one. And still pissed about having to get rid of my S2R1000. Cannot imagine how someone with a PS feels, such a neat bike but..... The new Hyperstrada shows possibilities but I'm not sure I want to buy another new Ducati, given thier actions on models with the plastics tanks. - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
Patriot Guard Rider
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #2599 on: December 05, 2012, 06:57:41 AM »

If they had I'm sure there woud be plenty of reasons to make that part of the sales pitch, I'm not aware on any such thing. Believe what you want, personally I'm glad I did not buy one. And still pissed about having to get rid of my S2R1000. Cannot imagine how someone with a PS feels, such a neat bike but..... The new Hyperstrada shows possibilities but I'm not sure I want to buy another new Ducati, given their actions on models with the plastics tanks. - Gene

This

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #2600 on: December 05, 2012, 08:54:52 AM »

It is >possible< that Acerbis has come up with either a different formulation or some sort of barrier that prevents moisture from being absorbed.  I haven't heard of any 848s affected yet.

I've already had one tank replaced on my 848 and am getting ready to request that the second tank be replaced.  Might go the Al tank route.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2601 on: December 05, 2012, 10:34:47 AM »

I've already had one tank replaced on my 848 and am getting ready to request that the second tank be replaced.  Might go the Al tank route.

Wow.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
muskrat

« Reply #2602 on: December 05, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »

what a shame that the stubbornness has prevailed.....so far.  I hope Audi makes some drastic changes because I really, really want that Multi next year. 

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Dry Martini

« Reply #2603 on: December 05, 2012, 02:42:57 PM »

I love riding my S2R, even with the tank issue. I went the aftermarket plastic tank route and that is less than satisfactory. So I will be coating the OEM tank.

I see no reason to sell a bike I already own, or preclude me from buying a new Ducati. Now if you want to talk about those silly "Transformer" headlights... Cheesy

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
danaid

« Reply #2604 on: December 05, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »

I was planning on buying one but I will wait a while longer for a panigale version.

Sad that Ducati does not fix this and is not worried about its reputation. I've talked to people who have stopped me to admire my bike, many have said they would love to own a Ducati but have heard that they are very unreliable and parts take months to get ( what they remember about Ducati's from 10-20 years ago?). Now they will be known for their expanding fuel tanks.

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
twolanefun

« Reply #2605 on: December 05, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »

I see no reason to sell a bike I already own, or preclude me from buying a new Ducati. Now if you want to talk about those silly "Transformer" headlights... Cheesy

That is what they are depending on, other brands got pressure from potential buyers and did something to fix the problem rather than put a band-aid on it. - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
Patriot Guard Rider
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #2606 on: December 05, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »

That is what they are depending on, other brands got pressure from potential buyers and did something to fix the problem rather than put a band-aid on it. - Gene

Again, this. 

I'ved loved Ducs for a very long time, but...  I've also been getting closer and closer to walking away from them for the last couple of years partly due to this debacle and how they've handled it.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #2607 on: December 05, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »

I think ducatiz meant the SF848, not the 848sbk

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
Charlief

« Reply #2608 on: December 07, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »

My 05 S2R800 is getting its 3rd tank this week. Took less than two weeks to get approval and the new tank.

krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #2609 on: December 07, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »

I'm reading this thread and I hate seeing all the frustration. It isn't Ducati's fault. Nor is it Acerbis' fault. If someone wants to point a finger, point one at the states with excess corn crop who lobbied for the asinine ethanol program. And point at the legislature who voted for it. And also point at the people who elected them. Still, I'm not convinced ethanol is the lone evil component in all of this.

Acerbis is working with nylon because it is understood to be good practice for use to contain gasoline and prevent emissions. And nylon is hideously expensive to make tanks from! The powder used to make a tank is somewhere near $500 to purchase. Right now, the best that the automotive industry can do is multi-layered blow molding with a layer or two of teflon mixed in. Then they added fluorine gas treatment to layer(s) of polyethylene during construction as this forms a great barrier. The latest I have read is the auto industry has come to the conclusion the best hope for gasoline with alcohol (ethanol) is fluorinated polyethylene mono layer construction.

With the near-term restart of our polyethylene Monster tanks, we will have them delivered out of state to be fluorinated so as to meet CARB requirements. Hopefully, the marketplace will be more receptive to this release of the MTT tank than before. The mold section for the top of the tank is nearly completed being carved from billet. This way, when I polish it, there won't be blemishes in the surface. Added to the new top finish, we have a new rotational molding company that knows how to properly "cross-link" our tanks. Once properly cross-linked, polyethylene is supposed to have the best dimensional stability with regard to gasoline. Finally, add in the fluorination to form the inner and outer barriers to reduce the ability for fuel vapor to penetrate the plastic and I would like to think our tanks will be a stable product, and one that will be paintable. I look forward to seeing how the fluorinated polyethylene tanks handle gasoline and perform.

- Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: