Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 11:44:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666606 times)
lilmonster

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »

What if you were to use a product called line a tank to seal the new tank to prevent gas from being in contact with the plastic. It is a one part resin used to seal a leaking or rusty tank. Just clean inside, put enough in to coat the entire inside, work it around, let cure a day or two. I have used it to seal an old tank with a hole rusted through, seems to work well and be durable. Leaves a smooth coating but is hard when cured. I used it on a metal tank don't know how it would do on a plastic tank. Just a thought, $30 for a qt.
jwoconnor

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2009, 09:18:27 PM »

They would have to have the molds made (one cost) and then get them EURO & DOT/EPA/NHTSA certified.  It would require a redesign of the pump and interior.   You can't just slap some sheet metal on and go.  The S2R tank is very different from the M900, etc.

Using the current plastic rotomolds, they have no setup or certification costs, just material and labor to remake tanks with better material. 

Far far far cheaper to remake plastic tanks.

I agree. The tooling cost would be killer. Scrap at the weld/paint shop end would also be high. No one likes to weld motorcycle tanks any more.

2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2006 S2R1000
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2009, 10:06:42 AM »

What if you were to use a product called line a tank to seal the new tank to prevent gas from being in contact with the plastic. It is a one part resin used to seal a leaking or rusty tank. Just clean inside, put enough in to coat the entire inside, work it around, let cure a day or two. I have used it to seal an old tank with a hole rusted through, seems to work well and be durable. Leaves a smooth coating but is hard when cured. I used it on a metal tank don't know how it would do on a plastic tank. Just a thought, $30 for a qt.

only if it works for plastic tanks. the chemical itself could cause harm to the plastic and cause further warping.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
J.P.

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2009, 12:56:56 PM »

This afternoon I spoke with the dealer and got the news.......  A new tank is has been authorized by ducati for my 07 S4RS waytogo. They covered the tank under the 5 year emissions warranty since the standard warranty expired last August.  After the new tank has been installed and I have copies of all the paper work I plan to file with the NTSB.. My guess is this time next year, or sooner the new tank will be just like this one.

I'm waiting for something to go wrong because getting a new tank from Ducati has been too easy. maybe I sould've waited until I had the tank in my hands before posting this..  laughingdp

Mike

Yup- guess they gotta do somthing w/ the bum tanks. I sure don't want one.
When is your 5 yr. warrenty up?

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
arai_speed
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2009, 10:26:57 AM »

Signed up and finally submitted my info.

waytogo
thruxton

2007 S4Rs

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2009, 09:39:48 PM »

Yup- guess they gotta do somthing w/ the bum tanks. I sure don't want one.
When is your 5 yr. warrenty up?

wow. my dealer submitted my 07' tank problems under emissions as well. i was thinking in my head WTF i'm doomed to fail that effort, but perhaps i will get lucky as well  Huh?

lucky, because i would not want to buy (almost $2000!) one of these tanks, that, as you say, will just fail again. fingers crossed for a replacement but i am still thinking of the fuel cel tank (if they make one for the S4Rs?)
J.P.

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2009, 06:35:15 AM »

wow. my dealer submitted my 07' tank problems under emissions as well. i was thinking in my head WTF i'm doomed to fail that effort, but perhaps i will get lucky as well  Huh?

lucky, because i would not want to buy (almost $2000!) one of these tanks, that, as you say, will just fail again. fingers crossed for a replacement but i am still thinking of the fuel cel tank (if they make one for the S4Rs?)

Good luck- but just crossing my fingers was never an option re: gallons of explosive liquid under my crotch. Wink

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
damianS4RS

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2009, 04:46:07 PM »

Signed up as well. Thanks for doing this. I plan to go to the dealership this weekend to see what they say. I'm hoping all you guys used up their reserve of plastic tanks and they'll send me a carbon.  Grin laughingdp
cdv478

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2009, 05:50:39 PM »

I signed up today. Last Friday, I got my '07 S2R back from a 4 month warranty stay at the dealer for a wiring harness. I noticed that the tank mounts at the bottom of my tank sit about 1/8" outboard of being centered on the frame. After looking at photos I took in Feb '08, I can see that the tank sits differently. There are no problems with the steering lock and I can access the tank latch, but I figured it's best to start documenting it now, as it's only a matter of time before the tank gets worse. I'm going back to the dealer this weekend to see if they will acknowledge the problem and what they might do about it.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2009, 09:49:27 PM »

2 weeks later no word.

i bought a steel tank with a ding in it. im going to repair it and polish it and PC it. 4.5gal fill ups here i come!!!!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
schtirlitz
Evil DUC

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2009, 07:14:04 AM »

Hey all just signed up.. Thanks

Also just got a call from Speed's Cycle in Elkridge, MD that my tank was approved for replacement under Emission Warranty by DNA and the tank is in.

Good thing, i guess.. One issue though, what do i do if it expands again..

Cheers.

Gun Control, means using both hands...

2008 Ducati S2R 1000 (R.I.P.)
2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE (DP ECU+AB / Termi 2-2 / Rizoma Rezervoirs / Oberon Clutch Cyl)
kumabull

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2009, 08:35:46 AM »

Crazy I just emailed Joe at Speeds about doing the same thing for me.... Small world I hope I get approved as well im swinging by Sat so Chad can take a look.

2007 Ducati S4RS
Apex Clip-ons
Rizoma Signals
Rizoma Grips
CRG Shorty's
MP's Dual HeadLight
Speedy Moto Pressure Plate
Speedy Moto Clutch Cover
Cox Oil\Rad guards

Ordered: Arrow Full race exhaust Carbon Cans
CompWerks Chop
Integrated Tail Light
SpeedyMoto Black water pump cover
Cabbie

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2009, 09:48:09 AM »

Easy fix for the issue...

Under your gascap is a little green fitting, it seals to the bottom of the gas cap.  Simply grab a pair of pliars, and rip that sucker off there... and throw it away...

No more venting issue, and the ONLY downside is that IF the bike falls over, the cap will allow some fuel to spill onto the EPA protected ground.

Its the EPA's fault the tanks are expanding.. seriously..

BTW, by removing the vent seal, you allow the tank to vent quicker, and that unloads the fuel pump and actually gives a slight boost in HP, by increasing fuel pressure.

Will

I would be careful doing this, there is another downide to doing this.. If you pull that seal, you will almost certainly void your warranty and any claim you might have had because you are altering the stock makeup of the tank..
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2009, 10:40:30 AM »

I would be careful doing this, there is another downide to doing this.. If you pull that seal, you will almost certainly void your warranty and any claim you might have had because you are altering the stock makeup of the tank..

I would give it about a 0.001% chance that pressure is causing the deformation.  There is plenty of venting available. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
extra330

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »

I would give it about a 0.001% chance that pressure is causing the deformation.  There is plenty of venting available. 

I don't think the odds are even that high that this is a venting issue..  waytogo

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: