Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 02:30:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666496 times)
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2009, 05:05:48 PM »

Sad  im gotta stop checking this thread.

I just got my new tank after one week and I don't even have a bike.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Paegelow

« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2009, 06:16:31 PM »

I finally got my bike back with the new tank today.  It's so small!!!

I was looking around at the used bikes at the dealer while I was there, and every single monster with a plastic tank had the same problem too!

There was also hardly anyone there, so I sat on the Desmosedici in the corner for a minute while no one was looking, and made motorbike sounds  Police
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2009, 06:24:02 PM »

I finally got my bike back with the new tank today.  It's so small!!!

I was looking around at the used bikes at the dealer while I was there, and every single monster with a plastic tank had the same problem too!

they were selling used bikes with expanded tanks??

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #168 on: October 03, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »

You know. the tank expansion thing, could begin to explain why i have been getting 3.2-3.5 gallons per fill up. lol
I just got my new tank after one week and I don't even have a bike.

Angry

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »

Angry

He was just messin' with ya. Wink

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Paegelow

« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2009, 05:00:27 AM »

they were selling used bikes with expanded tanks??

Yup, literally every used plastic-tank monster had it.  At least 4 that I can remember! Shocked
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2009, 11:18:20 AM »

Yup, literally every used plastic-tank monster had it.  At least 4 that I can remember! Shocked

Do they do test rides and is there another dealer nearby?

1) Test ride one, to the other dealer
2) Ask for a new tank, let them order it
3) When it comes in, bring test bike back, let them swap it in
4) Swap tanks back, return bike from test ride
5) Sell brand new tank on ebay
6) Profit!  Cheesy

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Paegelow

« Reply #172 on: October 04, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »

That's a pretty good idea!  Except a) there are no other dealers around, and b) this dealer is going out of business and will be gone before the new tank would come in!  Sad
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #173 on: October 04, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »

Moreover the other dealer has to do the swap and send the tank back to DNA.  I asked to keep it and was told "hell no"

I asked to just take a core sample and same.  You can't have the old tank.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
scduc

« Reply #174 on: October 04, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »

Moreover the other dealer has to do the swap and send the tank back to DNA.  I asked to keep it and was told "hell no"

I asked to just take a core sample and same.  You can't have the old tank.
I have never heard of warranty work being done where the customer is allowed to keep the old parts. I dont think they even let you look at them after they have been removed.

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #175 on: October 04, 2009, 05:45:09 PM »

I have never heard of warranty work being done where the customer is allowed to keep the old parts. I dont think they even let you look at them after they have been removed.

Most of these bikes are out of warranty.  Even the emissions warranty expires at 18k miles, so it's not technically a warranty job for most ppl. 

I wanted some of the material to have it checked out by a lab.  It would be easy enough to determine if ethanol has penetrated.

vw151

« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2009, 08:33:35 AM »

What are the measurements supposed to be and what were yours?   How do you measure this?
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2009, 08:49:29 AM »

What are the measurements supposed to be and what were yours?   How do you measure this?

no one has measured the tank, most people go by the location of the rubber mounts on the bottom of the tank, the distance between the latch and front of the tank and the presence of rippling or bulging.

the rubber mounts are supposed to sit directly on the frame.  mine were sitting almost 3/4 inch outside the frame.  they are upside-down U shaped to cup the frame from above and my tank had expanded such that they did not make direct contact at all.

the front latch should open and close easily.  it is designed to be tension locked down and to close without effort.  mine was so bad, the latch sat on top of the keyswitch and actually latching it would require the keyswitch to move forward about half an inch (not a possibility) or the tank to move back (mine was as far back as designed).

lastly, there should be no rippling or bulging on the sides of the tank.

vw151

« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2009, 09:16:06 AM »

I just noticed the other day that I have a dimple in the tank kinda near the logo and I have wear marks from the ignition rubbing the tank paint.  Those weren't there earlier this year.  I'll have to look for this other stuff too.  I just sent an email in to my buddy at ducati Indy.  We'll see what's up and what they've seen.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2009, 10:06:58 AM »

I just noticed the other day that I have a dimple in the tank kinda near the logo and I have wear marks from the ignition rubbing the tank paint.  Those weren't there earlier this year.  I'll have to look for this other stuff too.  I just sent an email in to my buddy at ducati Indy.  We'll see what's up and what they've seen.

God help me if you get your tank before I do. :/

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: