Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 01:52:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666478 times)
CTKurt

« Reply #675 on: July 09, 2010, 01:43:39 PM »

I am the 3rd owner of a 2005 s2r 800. Will DNA still take care of my tank problem? Just bring it into the dealer and they take it from there?
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #676 on: July 09, 2010, 02:04:45 PM »

I am the 3rd owner of a 2005 s2r 800. Will DNA still take care of my tank problem? Just bring it into the dealer and they take it from there?

I haven't heard anyone even being asked if they are the original owners.  As far as I know, 2nd/3rd owners will be covered.  Kudos to Ducati for that.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducamonsta
Ducamonsta

« Reply #677 on: July 09, 2010, 04:20:30 PM »

Next in line, 2nd owner
My story: today 07/09/10
Stop by my local Ducati dealer, to look for some gear, and tried on a ForceField vest, and the guy that was helping me out works there on the parts/sale.
So he says" you can go ahead and try it on lets go outside sit on your bike ( 05 s2r800) and see how it fits. I said Kool ok, head out sat on the bike . He looks at my DUCA and says I havent seen a yellow s2r around, I am " really," then told him" I want to custom paint it" He started to look for the tank said " You know your tank is expanded" I am " expanded how?"  Huh?  Shocked , I am in my mind " how" So he says " yeap these are expanding and if you paint it it will expanded the paint will be warping" kept going" yeah ducati is redesign the tank and working on new materials to build new tanks, so you are going to end up painting 2"

Ok so, I was concerned on my safety that's why I am here posting because Followed everything on the Original position research comments etc. and here I am writing about it!

05 DUCA S2R800 yellow stock! ASV levers, Marvin Dual Exhaust, Harris Performance Grips, T-rex Sliders. Rizoma Conical bar, SSR Brake/Clutch cnc covers. Tammer G2 throttle tube.
cduarte

« Reply #678 on: July 10, 2010, 01:57:23 PM »

@#$%@##!!! my replacement tank is already expanding about a year after it was installed.

build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #679 on: July 10, 2010, 04:32:52 PM »

@#$%@##!!! my replacement tank is already expanding about a year after it was installed.
I know a guy with a sport classic on his third tank

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
IamSMC

« Reply #680 on: July 12, 2010, 02:10:34 AM »

I know a guy with a sport classic on his third tank

Amazing how some can get a third tank while some only get grief trying to get their first replacement...

2007 Ducati Monster S4R S Testastretta
2005 Ducati Monster S2R 800
2007 Aprilia Sportcity 250ie
2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 125
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #681 on: July 12, 2010, 02:21:23 AM »

It is the dealers.  But it is mostly DNA's fault for not providing more clear guidance.  They are replacing every bad tank but need to provide the dealer network w more clear procedures.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
KTMCHEESE

« Reply #682 on: July 12, 2010, 09:43:58 AM »

I was a member here and the DML for many years before selling my S4Rs and jumping ship to KTM. Just to let you guys know, Superdukes also have this expanding gas tank problem. Two days ago I had to hammer a flathead screwdriver between my tank and the steering stem and had to pry that bastard into position in order to get it screwed on. Plastic tanks suck ass....
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #683 on: July 12, 2010, 10:38:46 AM »

KTM and Ducati might share the same tank provider

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #684 on: July 12, 2010, 11:07:50 AM »

KTM and Ducati might share the same tank provider

I would like to confirm that -- if they have the same maker and material, it would be very interesting.

KTMCHEESE

« Reply #685 on: July 12, 2010, 11:30:50 AM »

Superduke tanks are made by Acerbis.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #686 on: July 12, 2010, 04:03:42 PM »

Same as Ducati.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #687 on: July 13, 2010, 01:12:46 AM »

Then the question is whether they are made of the same material.  If anyone has access to one please PM me.

J.P.

« Reply #688 on: July 15, 2010, 11:27:06 AM »

Guy on the Ducati.ms Sport classic forum recently contacted the NHTSA and spoke to an administrator, who suggested he contact the Fed. Trade Commission. (see "tank probs- yes or no" at pg 63...) He was told the NHTSA can only discuss the problem with Ducati, and monitor them if they are actually working on a fix(ie. replacing tanks).

Also, apparently some of the SC guys are getting used tanks as replacements from Duc. and returning them. Maybe they do contract on the ride back to Italy.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
kansascity

« Reply #689 on: July 15, 2010, 01:25:59 PM »

Anyone have experience with CA CycleWorks' tanks?
http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/mtt43/

Much cheaper when paying out of pocket.

CDawg, thank you for posting that link.  Didn't know about that option.  Might have to get one of those some day if this issue persists with the OEM tanks. 
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: