Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 08:17:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666552 times)
DeuceNYC

« Reply #885 on: October 13, 2010, 08:26:42 AM »

The EPA is running with a proposal to increase the allowable percentage of ethanol in gasoline from 10% to 15%. I hope DNA finds a workable solution soon because it seems the problem will only get worse.
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

Bike sold - But I'm still lurking.

« Reply #886 on: October 13, 2010, 08:30:52 AM »

The EPA

This is the problem right here.

Is this thing on?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #887 on: October 13, 2010, 08:32:12 AM »

This is the problem right here.

let's not go there....

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #888 on: October 13, 2010, 08:33:22 AM »

The EPA is running with a proposal to increase the allowable percentage of ethanol in gasoline from 10% to 15%. I hope DNA finds a workable solution soon because it seems the problem will only get worse.

the only option is for EVERYONE to write the EPA and complain about it OR to ask them to mandate that pumps have to offer Ethanol-free gas as well.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #889 on: October 13, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »

Would this cause the issue to be worse than what it already is? I would assume that unless it increases by like 50%, it would still cause the issue at probably similar rate.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #890 on: October 13, 2010, 08:44:55 AM »

Would this cause the issue to be worse than what it already is? I would assume that unless it increases by like 50%, it would still cause the issue at probably similar rate.

Absolutely.  It would accelerate the expansion.  Ethanol absorbs water at a certain rate (pure gasoline does as well, but the rate is around 1/1000th that of ethanol).

Increasing the ethanol dilution by 50% means there is 50% more water in the mixture.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
DeuceNYC

« Reply #891 on: October 13, 2010, 08:46:27 AM »

I don't think anyone knows for certain, but a 50% increase is pretty significant. Not to mention ethanol produces fewer BTUs per gallon than gasoline so you'll also be looking at poorer fuel economy.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #892 on: October 13, 2010, 08:51:47 AM »

We need a separate ethanol thread...

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #893 on: October 13, 2010, 08:56:46 AM »

Agreed, yuu already started it. Guys, before everyone freaks out, they are increasing it by 5%. This means 5% more water absorbtion, which is technically 50% of the current level, so yeah I see your point.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #894 on: October 13, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »

Agreed, yuu already started it. Guys, before everyone freaks out, they are increasing it by 5%. This means 50% more water absorbtion, which is technically 50% of the current level, so yeah I see your point.

corrected

10 ml of ethanol absorbs water at a rate of X per minute at Y degrees and Z% humidity.

15 ml will absorb 50% more by volume with X Y and Z remaining constant.

Increase the temperature and/or humidity and the absorption rate increases.

Kurt V

« Reply #895 on: October 13, 2010, 09:58:01 AM »

Mine took 5 months.
Don't expect quick service on this, you are in a big line of people probably, esp for the popular colors.

That really is unacceptable. If that is the case, once it is fixed I will be selling it. I love the 696 Monster, but if that is the way Ducati wants to treat their customers, then I will vote with my feet.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #896 on: October 13, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »

That really is unacceptable. If that is the case, once it is fixed I will be selling it. I love the 696 Monster, but if that is the way Ducati wants to treat their customers, then I will vote with my feet.

In my case, I have the '05 S2R Acid Yellow, which was the only year and model offered in that color, so I assume it was the rarity.  As far as other delays, bear in mind there are a LOT of people making these claims now and someone actually has to look at the photos when they send them in. 

Currently (I'm told by DNA that) dealers are communicating >directly< with Bologna with a new system they've put into place.  I think that may speed things up, but it seems to me that DNA should have the say-so anyhow since they are the warrantor, not Bologna. 

5 months is the longest I've heard, most are around a month.

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #897 on: October 13, 2010, 11:36:01 AM »

Mine was less than 2 weeks. I think DNA has been doing a fantastic job turning these around.

CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #898 on: October 13, 2010, 11:36:30 AM »

Awesome... Roll Eyes
Meerkat
When I'm not playing Silver Power Ranger, I'm a

« Reply #899 on: October 14, 2010, 02:41:07 PM »

Filed my NHTSA ODI complaint today.

'07 S2R1K
'09 Daytona 675
'03 620 Dark-Sold 03/26/2011
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: