Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 01:09:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666782 times)
GAAN
« Reply #975 on: November 15, 2010, 04:13:48 PM »

Huh?  I'm confuzzled.

Yeah, I'm sober too
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #976 on: November 15, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »

yeah well maybe but still over 50 pages...

see, now that is a proper Derby

damn kids these days just don't take the time to do things right anymore

c u r r e n t...

cur·rent  (kûrnt, kr-)
adj.
a. Belonging to the present time:

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DrDesmo

« Reply #977 on: November 15, 2010, 06:33:21 PM »

Not to get off topic, but it would appear that the "other" firm has gotten quite aggressive with Google AdWords, do a search for "Ducati Fuel Tank" and you'll see what I mean ... 

Cheers,
Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #978 on: November 15, 2010, 07:47:44 PM »

Not really going to be ANY opportunity to get a new tank if some schmuck sues Ducati into non-existence.
That's the last thing we need.

I understand there is some element of danger here with the tank expansion, but for pete's sake... it's still just a toy.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #979 on: November 15, 2010, 08:10:12 PM »

You would think that Acerbis would be aware of the problem by now wouldn't you?  I've been reading about the new Aprilia RSV4 and guess who makes the tank for it - Acerbis - and the 2010 RSV4 tanks are having the exact same problem as the nylon Ducati tanks.  I'm guessing a solution coming from Acerbis is not imminent.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
DRKWNG
« Reply #980 on: November 16, 2010, 02:49:00 AM »

Huh?  I'm confuzzled.

Yea, we could tell from your thong wearing, dirt bike riding antics...
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #981 on: November 16, 2010, 06:05:06 AM »

You would think that Acerbis would be aware of the problem by now wouldn't you?  I've been reading about the new Aprilia RSV4 and guess who makes the tank for it - Acerbis - and the 2010 RSV4 tanks are having the exact same problem as the nylon Ducati tanks.  I'm guessing a solution coming from Acerbis is not imminent.

They are aware.  I know Ducati has been doing some testing and I can't imagine that Acerbis isn't doing it for them.  The best solution -- I believe -- would be a coating similar to the Caswell that doesn't present a problem for them.  Caswell works, but it affects their ability to homologate the tank for some reason.  Seems they could find another compatible coating or surface treatment that doesn't have the same issue..

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
dvyce

« Reply #982 on: November 16, 2010, 06:40:59 AM »

I have not read the entire thread so guys pls forgive me if what i am about to ask has already been asked.  Will this tank expansion issue affect all 696's?  Cuz as we speak, mine is inside a crate, inside a container on some ship being shipped across the Atlantic and will arrive mid January.  As for me, I have thrown the idea of seeing any type of dealer should this occur because we do not have any in Ghana.  The closest bike dealer we have is KTM and that in the country next door.  Anyway can someone please help me with my Q?  Thanks a ton
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #983 on: November 16, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »

I have not read the entire thread so guys pls forgive me if what i am about to ask has already been asked.  Will this tank expansion issue affect all 696's?  Cuz as we speak, mine is inside a crate, inside a container on some ship being shipped across the Atlantic and will arrive mid January.  As for me, I have thrown the idea of seeing any type of dealer should this occur because we do not have any in Ghana.  The closest bike dealer we have is KTM and that in the country next door.  Anyway can someone please help me with my Q?  Thanks a ton
It seems to affect all plastic tanked bikes when exposed to ethanol fuel.

The actual tank on the 696 is under skins so the effects may not be noticed as quickly as the earlier models.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

sbrguy

« Reply #984 on: November 16, 2010, 07:34:01 AM »

Not really going to be ANY opportunity to get a new tank if some schmuck sues Ducati into non-existence.
That's the last thing we need.

I understand there is some element of danger here with the tank expansion, but for pete's sake... it's still just a toy.

unfortunately the company still sees the warranty route as an economically feasible solution otherwise they would have changed the plastic or what have you by now, but the cost benefit to them of waiting for a few people to try to return the tanks and such and after a 2 year stint its on you then, they are just hedging the numbers and figure that it will cost less to just do warranty repair as each tank is probably only really costing them maybe something like $10 dollars they are pressed out anyway.

if they get sued maybe they will then use differnt plastics and figure out the problem.

basically they have no reason to change the design as its not 100% of the tanks and so far nobody has been killed by the problem its really not that big of a liability.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:42:43 PM by sbrguy » Logged
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #985 on: November 16, 2010, 07:44:13 AM »

I have several 696 owners on my list.

If your local gasoline has more than 5% ethanol, then you should look into getting the tank coated.  There is a coating here called Caswell's which is (I believe) an epoxy based coating.  Testing and actual use has demonstrated it works, however Ducati can't use it for other reasons.

Doing the coating yourself is easy if you have any experience with tools and have the right ones handy.  Removing the tank isn't hard, you just have to take out the guts (filter, pump,etc) and remove all the metal and filler parts, then mask everything off.

One person I spoke to said coating the bottom of the tank is sufficient because the problem occurs at the bottom of the tank -- ethanol absorbs moisture and sinks.  Since the volume of water is going to be less than 2% the total volume of gasoline, it's a very small contact area where water comes in contract with the surface (and also the hottest area of the tank -- heat + moisture = fast absorption)

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #986 on: November 16, 2010, 07:45:31 AM »

unfortunately the company still sees the warranty route as an economically feasible solution otherwise they would have changed the plastic or what have you by now, but the cost benefit to them of waiting for a few people to try to return the tanks and such and after a 2 year stint its on you then, they are just hedging the numbers and figure that it will cost less to just do warranty repair as each tank is probably only really costing them maybe something like $10 dollars they are pressed out anyway.

I don't know for a fact, but my gut feeling is that they are looking for a solution.  I guess I'll find out soon enough.

sbrguy

« Reply #987 on: November 16, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »

it seems like so far the only thing that would work 100% is going back to a metal tank.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #988 on: November 16, 2010, 07:57:19 AM »

it seems like so far the only thing that would work 100% is going back to a metal tank.

Not possible.  They would have to have the entire bike recertified and re-homologated.  They can't/won't do it.

A coating is the most efficient and cheapest route.  They just have to find one that is compatible with their EPA/DOT/EU requirements.

dark_duc

2008 S4RS Tricolore

« Reply #989 on: November 16, 2010, 11:32:49 AM »

Good to know.

I think it's helpful for people to post up the names of shops that are doing right and wrong on this issue.

Everyone should get the same deal:  bring your bike in (or send pics with the VIN info), tank ordered, bike brought in after tank arrives and swapped (and info verified if emailed).  That should be the long & short of it.

Went to Hansen's BMW / Ducati / Triumph in Phoenix Oregon and had them look at my mildly deformed tank.  They said they hadn't heard any issues with the Monster's tanks, but they took some pics and contacted DNA.  They called me a couple days later to let me know that the claim was approved and a replacement tank was on they way.  Once arriving they said they would only need an hour with the bike to do the swap.  The crew at Hansen's made this a very easy process.   chug
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: