Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:52:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666542 times)
Meerkat
When I'm not playing Silver Power Ranger, I'm a

« Reply #1245 on: December 07, 2010, 09:36:12 PM »

i've poked around and can't find anything -- nylon isn't like PE or fibreglass.  it's slippery.  also, it needs to be impervious to ethanol.  the old kreme forumulation used polyurethane which is great with gasoline, but .. not so great with ethanol.. it also dried "flexible" like the blue lightning claims to do..   that's the only 1-part stuff i know of..  all the 2-part stuff dries semi-hard but is impervious to ethanol once dried.

I emailed the blue lightening people for an MSDS which I hope sheds some light on this stuff's composition. We'll see if they respond.

'07 S2R1K
'09 Daytona 675
'03 620 Dark-Sold 03/26/2011
Triple J
« Reply #1246 on: December 08, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »

Who says?

Get me a blow molded HDPE tank...

I'd love to prove you wrong. Wink

The only issues with painting any plastic is adhesion. There are materials to solve that. Now if the adhesion issues are due to the material 'sweating' fuel, as with PEX, all bets are off.

I didn't see the correct answer back when this was posted, so... (sorry if I missed it):

...the issue with HDPE is that it off-gases. This is why they can't be painted...and why Chris Kelley's HDPE tanks aren't painted. Maybe he'll lend you one to try though?  Smiley

HDPE also expands A LOT more than any metal, up to 10-15 times as much. Wall thickness does not have an effect at mitigating this...at least not for any reasonable thickness applicable to a gas tank. I don't know if it's enough to fail paint, as I don't know how flexible paint is, but I would guess it is.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1247 on: December 08, 2010, 05:41:52 PM »

I didn't see the correct answer back when this was posted, so... (sorry if I missed it):

...the issue with HDPE is that it off-gases. This is why they can't be painted...and why Chris Kelley's HDPE tanks aren't painted. Maybe he'll lend you one to try though?  Smiley

HDPE also expands A LOT more than any metal, up to 10-15 times as much. Wall thickness does not have an effect at mitigating this...at least not for any reasonable thickness applicable to a gas tank. I don't know if it's enough to fail paint, as I don't know how flexible paint is, but I would guess it is.
I think the expansion would be a non issue. Urethanes are pretty flexible.

Chris asked me if I wanted to try painting one. After listening to his explanation I figured why bother.

I for one will never own a gas tank that off gasses fuel...seems so wrong.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

SacDuc

WWSDD?

« Reply #1248 on: December 08, 2010, 08:47:15 PM »

For what its worth, I was chatting with the local dealer the other day and he mentioned that he has only done 3 tank replacements. He sells 150-200 bikes per year. He blamed the expansion problems on two things, ethanol and the emissions canister. He credited his low replacement rate to that fact that he makes a habit of ripping off all that emissions shit before his bikes ever leave the store.  Cheesy

sac

HATERS GONNA HATE.
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #1249 on: December 08, 2010, 08:59:06 PM »

For what its worth, I was chatting with the local dealer...he makes a habit of ripping off all that emissions shit before his bikes ever leave the store.  Cheesy

sac

Isn't that patently illegal, for a dealer to do such things? As in like a federal offense or something? Seems like the EPA could have his ass for that.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:01:07 PM by bergdoerfer » Logged

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Mojo S2R
Wearing a cape offline so that others know I am a

. Dark Mojo .

« Reply #1250 on: December 08, 2010, 10:58:08 PM »

For what its worth, I was chatting with the local dealer the other day and he mentioned that he has only done 3 tank replacements. He sells 150-200 bikes per year. He blamed the expansion problems on two things, ethanol and the emissions canister. He credited his low replacement rate to that fact that he makes a habit of ripping off all that emissions shit before his bikes ever leave the store.  Cheesy

sac

I think there may be something to the charcoal canister emissions crap being part of the cause.  I have yet to replace my tank and have had the bike since new back in December of 2007 and ditching the canister and it's connecting hoses was one of my first mods.  I also have the DP Tank Bra which may be preventing any side-ward expansion but I have noticed very slight forward expansion as it's been getting to be a little tighter fit for the tank lock up by the ignition.  I don't think it's enough to get a replacement just yet.  If and when I do, I definitely plan on getting it lined with Caswell or some other such product just to avoid having to deal with it again.

myleslong

« Reply #1251 on: December 09, 2010, 03:14:21 AM »

My 07 S4RS has had the canister removed since day 1. My second replacement tank has just arrived. My opinion, based on my personal experience is that the canister has 0 effect on the expansion problem...It's ethanol incompatability, period.
I will coat the new tank with Caswells before it ever has gas in it and update this thread with my feedback on how it goes. Unless I've missed somthing in the last 84 pages, no one has actually performed this process themselves.
Best regards,
Myleslong
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1252 on: December 09, 2010, 04:02:03 AM »

Isn't that patently illegal, for a dealer to do such things? As in like a federal offense or something? Seems like the EPA could have his ass for that.

The vapor emissions canister is required in California and the CARB states.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1253 on: December 09, 2010, 04:03:21 AM »

My 07 S4RS has had the canister removed since day 1. My second replacement tank has just arrived. My opinion, based on my personal experience is that the canister has 0 effect on the expansion problem

I agree.  the vapor canister doesn't impede pressure releasing, on the contrary, it actually provides a "trouble-free" exit

...It's ethanol incompatability, period.

ethanol AND water.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1254 on: December 09, 2010, 04:32:26 AM »

I agree.  the vapor canister doesn't impede pressure releasing, on the contrary, it actually provides a "trouble-free" exit

<snip>

Unless they clog, which they eventually do.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1255 on: December 09, 2010, 04:37:10 AM »

Unless they clog, which they eventually do.

i've never seen that, then again, they get dumped pretty quickly.  but that's the first i've heard.  what clogs them?  they are a closed system, so the only things that can get in are vapor..  when i picked up my '98 900fe, i found the canister under the front fairing (where I like to mount the oil cooler) and removed it -- it wasn't clogged, just 3 lbs of crap off the bike!

Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #1256 on: December 09, 2010, 05:51:07 AM »

Seems like any way you look at it - there is a vicious circle of ever-tightening regulations and laws that are incompatible with each other and the vehicles they apply to.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1257 on: December 09, 2010, 02:01:31 PM »

i've never seen that, then again, they get dumped pretty quickly.  but that's the first i've heard.  what clogs them?  they are a closed system, so the only things that can get in are vapor..  when i picked up my '98 900fe, i found the canister under the front fairing (where I like to mount the oil cooler) and removed it -- it wasn't clogged, just 3 lbs of crap off the bike!

The charcoal gradually compacts.  It usually takes a long time and since most of the bikes loose them early in life it is rare.  The other "clogging" problem is people over stuffing the tank.  Fuel gets warm, expands and soaks the canister which also causes rich running.  I had to change one on my buddie's BMW due to restriction.  They are also semi closed.  One hose to the tank, one to the manifolds, one vented to the atmosphere.
Meerkat
When I'm not playing Silver Power Ranger, I'm a

« Reply #1258 on: December 09, 2010, 03:26:58 PM »

07 S2R1K silver with black stripe warranty tank replacement
10-08-10: First trip to Coleman's for pictures and paperwork to submit warranty claim. Told I would have to leave bike or deposit once warranty work was approved.
11-11-10: Notified by Coleman's that warranty replacement was approved and tank ordered. Updated that I wouldn't need to leave bike or deposit, but requested to bring bike in within 2 weeks after tank arrives.
12-04-10: Coleman's called to let me know that tank had arrived.
12-07-10: Dropped off bike to have the tank replaced. Supposed to be ready for pickup tomorrow.

Picked up the s2r from Coleman's with the new tank. Looks great, works great. Was damn glad I had on my leathers to block the wind, cuz it was COLD at speed. [moto]

'07 S2R1K
'09 Daytona 675
'03 620 Dark-Sold 03/26/2011
DRKWNG
« Reply #1259 on: December 09, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »

it was COLD at speed. [moto]

make the beast with two backs YES it is.  Doood, it's like 28 out there, standing still!!
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: