Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 04:43:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 705205 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1635 on: July 12, 2011, 08:51:58 AM »

I believe thats the one. I learned about the coating on this blog.

http://ducsp1000.blogspot.com/2011/03/tank-3-with-coating.html

ScotchKote is the product name but there are four kinds of it on the 3M website.  Any epoxy is probably going to be ok, but I'd like to hear that from 3M...

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Mojo S2R
Wearing a cape offline so that others know I am a

. Dark Mojo .

« Reply #1636 on: July 13, 2011, 08:16:17 PM »

Took four weeks from photos/claim submittal to approval, then two more weeks for the tank to arrive.  Just need to make an appointment to have the new tank installed.  Very happy with the speedy professional service I receive from Good Times.

hillbillypolack

« Reply #1637 on: July 20, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »

I had a brief conversation with a rep from DNA this afternoon.  It was brought about since I'd had enough of the gas tank dilemma and emailed them to find out if they'd gotten my previous email from four months ago.

What my concern was (is) that there are three main issues I've not been comfortable with.  1) that Ducati never issued any 'heads-up' on what I feel is a potentially serious fuel related issue.  2) that my replacement tank looks like it was painted with a rattle can and 'hand finished' with a broom  3) that the issue is open-ended and can linger on for years, more deformed tanks or problems down the road. 

Two other factors making this more frustrating are that I own other bikes which don't require putzing around with major systems or hoping for a fix on a commodity part like a gas tank.  And that I shouldn't have to pay for stabilizing (lining) a tank.  That should have been done at the OEM, making the tank 'ethanol-neutral'.

The DNA rep basically agreed with all points above (maybe he was just patient or humoring me), also indicating that Ducati's position is that they are replacing tanks with the same material as what came on your original bikes.  Even he indicated that it may or may not deform again in the future, and Ducati is continuing to replace affected tanks into the forseeable future.

The paint finish issues are more subjective and while he agreed, the company replaces the part for functional reasons.  Not always aesthetic reasons.

I also asked why the owners weren't informed directly via email or other means.  He explained that Ducati issues recall or notifications if the government deems it necessary.  Which I understand.  But I have also received notifications of simple things on my other bikes when some small detail may fail.  I just think it's a goodwill gesture.  I see why I didn't get a notification, though I don't agree with it.

We also spoke about the 'necessary accessory' part of buying / owning a Ducati which is the cost of un-choking the exhausts, re-gearing etc which add quite a lot to the overall cost of ownership.  To be honest, I know owning a Duc isn't 'cheap' but I felt I had to make a comparison to other marques.

So, in a nutshell, no news.  Doesn't look like any news for any forseeable future either.  Keep your tank un-lined if you want it replaced after it deforms again I guess.  The saga continues.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:51:12 PM by hillbillypolack » Logged
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1638 on: July 20, 2011, 07:21:44 PM »

^^^^^^
What this shoes me is that replacing tanks is relatively cheap for Ducati when compared to the cost of a class action suit for refusing to replace them beyond warranty. I realize there is a class action filed against Ducati for the tank issue, but what are the damages owners can claim when Ducati is already agreeing to replace the tanks? The cost of a trip to the shop? For MOST owners, that is the extent of the damages they can claim.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1639 on: July 20, 2011, 07:22:36 PM »

^^^^^^
What this shoes me is that replacing tanks is relatively cheap for Ducati when compared to the cost of a class action suit for refusing to replace them beyond warranty. I realize there is a class action filed against Ducati for the tank issue, but what are the damages owners can claim when Ducati is already agreeing to replace the tanks? The cost of a trip to the shop? For MOST owners, that is the extent of the damages they can claim.

You're pretty much on the money, except for the few tanks that have leaked from the deformation. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1640 on: July 21, 2011, 02:59:02 AM »

AND, why should anyone honestly feel entitled to anything other than a properly functioning tank? It's not like anything warranting the award of "damages" has occured if your tank hasn't leaked fuel.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
extra330

« Reply #1641 on: July 21, 2011, 06:53:50 AM »

Well my orginal tank had swollen to the point where the controls on the bars would hit the tank at full lock. I think I may have pinched my finger once or twice.. I could've lost a finger.. That's gotta be worth something right?? Vino!

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1642 on: July 21, 2011, 07:25:07 AM »

Yes.  A new finger.

Evil

Bishamon

« Reply #1643 on: July 21, 2011, 07:31:59 AM »

Two other factors making this more frustrating are that I own other bikes which don't require putzing around with major systems or hoping for a fix on a commodity part like a gas tank. 

There are a lot of other brands with issues as well (Triumph, Aprilia, KTM, and even Harley Davidson, to name a few).  Not to mention many cars that are having issues with their fuel systems (pumps disintegrating, for instance, and not always covered under warranty), and the marine industry is having a ton of issues, all due to ethanol.

Not that this excuses Ducati, but the matter isn't as simple as switching back to steel tanks (which corrode due to the water that's absorbed by ethanol), fibreglass tanks (which dissolve), or even aluminum tanks (which can corrode with ethanol, though E10 should be safe).  Hopefully the motorcycle industry will adopt a standard ethanol-proof coating. Caswell seems promising, so far, with only a couple of cases I have heard of where the coating starting coming off inside the tank, which may be due to being improperly applied.

2011 Monster 796
2007 Sport 1000 SE (SOLD) Sad
El-Twin

« Reply #1644 on: July 21, 2011, 07:33:08 AM »

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

1961 Honda 50
1962 Mustang Thoroughbred
1972 Honda CB500 Four
2012 1100 evo

If I ever find myself on a winding road, holding up a line of cars with a motorcycle, I will carry the shame to my grave.   -PETER EGAN
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1645 on: July 21, 2011, 08:38:12 AM »

There are a lot of other brands with issues as well (Triumph, Aprilia, KTM, and even Harley Davidson, to name a few).  Not to mention many cars that are having issues with their fuel systems (pumps disintegrating, for instance, and not always covered under warranty), and the marine industry is having a ton of issues, all due to ethanol.

Not that this excuses Ducati, but the matter isn't as simple as switching back to steel tanks (which corrode due to the water that's absorbed by ethanol), fibreglass tanks (which dissolve), or even aluminum tanks (which can corrode with ethanol, though E10 should be safe).  Hopefully the motorcycle industry will adopt a standard ethanol-proof coating. Caswell seems promising, so far, with only a couple of cases I have heard of where the coating starting coming off inside the tank, which may be due to being improperly applied.

Just for a baseline comparison, I own two BMWs.  A 2007 and a 2008.  Not any issue with either.

My S2R is a 2008.

Guess which bikes I'm out RIDING?

Also, I work in the automotive industry (R&D).  If this situation was handled this poorly by an automaker, it would be headlines on CNN and MSNBC believe me, even if the safety issue could be overblown.  We certainly don't need drama for drama's sake but there is a double standard between vehicle types and notifications.  Remember the Toyota incident last year?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:41:31 AM by hillbillypolack » Logged
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1646 on: July 21, 2011, 01:59:29 PM »

There are a lot of other brands with issues as well (Triumph, Aprilia, KTM, and even Harley Davidson, to name a few).  

It's off topic, but I'd like to hear which Triumphs you know of that have issues, especially if they are fueling related.  Mine was bulletproof when I had it.  Kind of ironic that I sold it to get a finicky KTM.   laughingdp

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Dave328

« Reply #1647 on: July 21, 2011, 04:38:26 PM »

Ducati will keep replacing tanks into the forseeable future....that is until Acerbis is forced into bankruptcy by this. If I'm not mistaken, they supply the tanks for Triumph, Aprillia, and KTM, as well.  Undecided
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1648 on: July 21, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »

Quite a few of the current Triumphs still have steel tanks.

Bishamon

« Reply #1649 on: July 22, 2011, 09:25:50 AM »

It's off topic, but I'd like to hear which Triumphs you know of that have issues, especially if they are fueling related.  Mine was bulletproof when I had it.  Kind of ironic that I sold it to get a finicky KTM.   laughingdp

There was a MASSIVE thread on a Triumph site where Sprint owners were having their tanks deform and even split/crack.  Apparently, the 995i and Speed Triple is also affected.  Here is a site with a list:

http://deformedfueltanks.com/

Interestingly enough, the KTM Super Duke is on there.

2011 Monster 796
2007 Sport 1000 SE (SOLD) Sad
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: