Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:36:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695254 times)
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1710 on: August 25, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »

I wonder if a dealer does the Caswell, will that put the reliablility in thier hands.  Actually I am suprised dealers are doing it being the pain that it is and the fact that they should now be liable for the caswell working.  On second thought  you are right, I am glad I coated mine myself.......

i'd say if the coating itself fails (i.e. incorrect mixing or application), the dealer would likely be liable for that... at least in my eyes. but if the tank swells again, even with the coating... well, that's ducati all the way still.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1711 on: August 26, 2011, 02:15:03 AM »

but if the tank swells again, even with the coating... well, that's ducati all the way still.

Not necessarily.  If that were to happen, Ducati (or anyone for that matter) could easily point to the fact that you altered the tank in a way that is deemed unacceptable by the manufacturer and deny any follow-on warranty claim.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1712 on: August 26, 2011, 01:31:13 PM »

A proposed settlement has been developed in the lawsuit.

I'll be posting the document when it is published.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ZOSO

« Reply #1713 on: August 26, 2011, 04:15:40 PM »

Not to steal thunder from IZ and his efforts but here it is:

http://www.girardgibbs.com/Ducati%20-%20Motion%20for%20Preliminary%20Approval%20of%20Class%20Settlement.pdf

Edit: I'm also an attorney but I'll let IZ summarize the proposed settlement - some good news, some bad news, some absolutely incredible news (modifications to ALLOW for expanding tanks?!)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:24:01 PM by ZOSO » Logged

There’s a lady who’s sure all that glitters is gold . . .
AMGnDuc

2011 Ducati Streetfighter S

« Reply #1714 on: August 26, 2011, 04:57:21 PM »

I'm not really sure what to make of this.

Essentially Ducati is acknowledging the issue and will offer extended warranty coverage, which is what they've been doing anyway. 

In certain cases, they'll be replacing the original tank with a modified tank that, when it expands due to ethanol, will still clear all the necessary mechanicals parts (triple clamps, radiator guards, etc).

The problem with this is that it doesn't really "fix" the issue.  You'll still have a crappy-looking tank that will have warps and dipples, but at least it won't get you in an accident.  And you'll have a long enough warranty that you can keep replacing the tanks for cosmetic issues related to expansion.

I dunno, sounds like the only thing we really got was that Ducati officially acknowledged the problem but doesn't have a fix.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1715 on: August 26, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »

I'm not really sure what to make of this.

Essentially Ducati is acknowledging the issue and will offer extended warranty coverage, which is what they've been doing anyway.  

In certain cases, they'll be replacing the original tank with a modified tank that, when it expands due to ethanol, will still clear all the necessary mechanicals parts (triple clamps, radiator guards, etc).

The problem with this is that it doesn't really "fix" the issue.  You'll still have a crappy-looking tank that will have warps and dipples, but at least it won't get you in an accident.  And you'll have a long enough warranty that you can keep replacing the tanks for cosmetic issues related to expansion.

I dunno, sounds like the only thing we really got was that Ducati officially acknowledged the problem but doesn't have a fix.
Well...

lawyers were involved...

It'll cost plenty. Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1716 on: August 26, 2011, 05:11:08 PM »

It's official.

I need to either sell my bike, or save my nickles and dimes and pay for a hand made metal tank.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

hillbillypolack

« Reply #1717 on: August 26, 2011, 05:17:11 PM »

This is bull$hit.

After all this drama, witnessing distorted tanks, hearing about handlebar interference and leaking fuel pump seals, THIS is all we get???

Hey, Ducati, don't extend yourself too far now.  Just do the absolute minimum.  Adjust steering stoppers???  Offer a shorter seat?  Have a kit available that band-aid fixes the ignition and frame interference?  Really?  That's how you run a company and expect people to TRUST in your product line.

It sounds to much like General Motors in the 80s and 90s and how they dealt with customers.

Yes, I read the document.  And I'll say it again.  This is bull$hit.  This comes the week after I have been trying to get a 44t rear sprocket in 520.  For anyone who has done that, there is no cheap way to do it.

And evidently there is no cheap way for Ducati to man up and do the right thing.  I thought this company has balls.  I thought they were the underdog and were worth rooting for.

I was wrong.

It's official as NorDog said.  The bike is for sale.  S2R 1000, 4000 miles, immaculate condition. Located in SE Michigan, will help with delivery.  PM me for details.

This is my last Ducati.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:19:39 PM by hillbillypolack » Logged
jwoconnor

« Reply #1718 on: August 26, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »

So they will replace a tank for cosmetic reasons up to 18 months after the suit is final or 5 years after purchase whichever is longer, yes? My '06 will still be covered through next year then.

2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2006 S2R1000
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1719 on: August 26, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »

So they will replace a tank for cosmetic reasons up to 18 months after the suit is final or 5 years after purchase whichever is longer, yes? My '06 will still be covered through next year then.

And what after that?

Flexy, leaky bloated flyer once that tank screws the pooch. 

Gee, that sounds like a very responsible fix to me!
muskrat

« Reply #1720 on: August 26, 2011, 05:51:58 PM »

sadly, I'm done with Ducati.........end of story.
I'll keep my Monsters because they have a metal tank but after these it's over.  And I so loved the brand.   boo

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1721 on: August 26, 2011, 06:37:22 PM »

First off..

This is not final.  The settlement is a proposed settlement between Ducati and the plaintiffs.  EVERYONE in the affected class (that means anyone who owns an affected bike and is known to Ducati) will get a letter.  So if you have never notified Ducati that you have a bike, now is the time to do it.  I am not sure exactly how to do that, so I'd call them or email them in Cali.

Secondly..

You will have the opportunity to opt out, or notify the court of the inadequacy of the settlement.  The letter you get will specify what your rights are. 

Thirdly..

If you expected to get a metal tank out of this, then you haven't been paying attention.  Please don't post here.  There never was any chance of that happening.

Fourthly..

Ducati has been replacing tanks without regard to warranty status of the bike.  Yes, it sucks that the new tanks have expanded too, but for a long time Ducati had no idea what was causing the problem, and when it was finally figured out, they started working with me to figure out some sort of solution that didn't break them. 

That being said, the "fixes" in the settlement seem a bit lame to me and I'm a bit surprised at them.  It is possible that the coatings we've found work, but present an issue for Ducati as a manufacturer and -- just as they can't ship a bike from the factory with high comp pistons and straight pipes -- they can't ship a bike with the coating.  However, that doesn't mean the coating didn't work. 

Put it this way:  I bet most of you have modifications on your bike that would make it illegal for Ducati to sell.  Your PCIII, your track-only Termis, etc.  Point is, the coating works but Ducati can't do it.  It seems to me they are trying to extend the warranty enough so that everyone gets a new tank and spends the $50 to coat it themselves or the 150-200 to get a dealer to do it.  And when people pregnant dog about this, I'll remind myself to ask them what they paid for their aftermarket exhaust, brake upgrades or carbon fibre wheels. 

And I sort of agree with the argument that "I shouldn't have to pay 50-200 bucks to make my bike work right"... well.. tough. 

I'm not going to turn my back on Ducati.  There isn't another bike company out there that interests me.  Honda would stop making bikes in a flat second if the profit margin on vacuum cleaners was higher.   Yamaha would stop making bikes if they could ship more grand pianos and Suzuki as well.  Those companies don't live or die from your bike purchase, but Ducati does.  And you know what?  Ducati isn't perfect. 

Few of you are either old enough or have the balls enough to own a bevel Ducati, and I can tell you those bikes were problems and if there were as many law firms trolling for suits as there are now, Ducati would have gone back to making radio tubes.

Ducati is a race company.  They don't win every race.  But they live and die from building race bikes.  Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/et al are zaibatsus.  They make everything from toasters to pianos to dildos and they could give a shit if you buy a bike from them, because they know you'll end up buying a toaster or something similar.  They'll get your money.

I am not happy about the settlement, it's not what I wanted.  I wanted Ducati to find a coating that would work and not mess with their homologation and could be done for cheap enough so they could keep building beautiful bikes that make me hard.

So, if the prospect of spending $50 or 200 to get your tank coated pisses you off so that you're dumping the brand, fine, go buy that 'busa and enjoy the ride.  Maybe someday you can go to Japan and meet the robot that made your bike, or any one of the thousands of factory people who stood there wanking to manga while the robot put your 'busa heads on.   I've been to the Ducati factory twice now and I know I met the guys/gals who built my bike -- why?  Because the company only has 1100 people worldwide, and the 100 or so floor people building bikes were the only ones who do it. 

Anyhow.

I'm not happy and I'll probably write a nasty letter to the judge, tear it up and then write a polite but stern letter explaining why I don't care for the settlement, the least of which being that the plaintiff attorneys did practically nothing compared to my work on the matter, determining the problem.  Will it make a difference? I don't know, I don't know Judge Fogel.  But it doesn't matter much, I have a coated tank and it's fine and it won't expand. 

It's probably the cheapest mod I did on my bike.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 06:41:27 PM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1722 on: August 26, 2011, 06:57:12 PM »

I received a replacement tank in November of 2010. My dealer told me not to bother with the coating because they were not having expansion issues with the replacement tanks. Now my replacement tank is expanding. Will I be allowed to get
another new tank and coat it this time?

If I don't get another tank, will I at least get a jar of Vaseline?  laughingdp

If they don't replace the tank, I will buy a tank with a lifetime guarantee from CA Cycleworks.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1723 on: August 26, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »

I received a replacement tank in November of 2010. My dealer told me not to bother with the coating because they were not having expansion issues with the replacement tanks. Now my replacement tank is expanding. Will I be allowed to get
another new tank and coat it this time?

Yes.

Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1724 on: August 26, 2011, 06:59:44 PM »

Thanks!  Grin I'd rather have the tank than the vaseline. waytogo

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: