Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:26:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695245 times)
Airborne
Crash n' Burn

Monster S2R 800 - ALL BLACK

« Reply #1800 on: October 15, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »

Just got my first tank replacement today. My swelling was mostly pushing against the ignition, not so much swelling to the side. Service person at the dealership took some pictures of my bike, ordered my tank and one week later it was in. I dropped it off today and got it back in a few hours. Very painless process. Dealer was trebour motorcycles in NJ.

I am now going to store it for the winter. Does anyone have any suggestions? Drain the tank? Leave the fuel low? Add startron? Leave the gas cap cracked open?

2007 Monster S2R, Vespa GTS 300, Vino 125
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1801 on: October 15, 2011, 01:37:45 PM »

Very painless process. Dealer was trebour motorcycles in NJ.

I am now going to store it for the winter. Does anyone have any suggestions? Drain the tank? Leave the fuel low? Add startron? Leave the gas cap cracked open?

Mentioned this to "thought" the other day; if you live near Trebor, close by is my old source of 260 GT. It contains all sorts of goodness, is stabilized and contains zero ethanol. Probably $8.50/Gal. by now. http://www.sunocoinc.com/Site/Consumer/RaceFuels/260GT100Locations/New+Jersey.htm

Others will have different opinions, but I always filled my tanks with stabilized or racing fuel before storing in November and they all (30+) started right up in April with no issues. Full tanks avoid most condensation obviously. If you do this, just fill and take a good ride to work it through the fuel system, and then top up when you get back. (Did this always with two collector cars I store as well; so far, so good.)

BTW, I lived 15 miles west of Trebor for 35 years and parked my bikes when I could no longer stand the cold and dragged them out on the first warmish day after the first street sweepers in April or May.

I presume you had your oil changed recently? You have a dry garage?

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1802 on: October 15, 2011, 07:42:28 PM »

Winning hearts is a stretch of the imagination, I was thinking more about waste.  Five tanks is a waste no matter who pays for it.    And yea, I quess I am loyal to Ducati with a lot of pride.  I like my bike and everything that goes with it and would not trade for two of anything else even with a bad tank!   Grin

You need to test ride more bikes, and own a few other manufacturer's bikes.  For the prices Ducati asks for their bikes, there are a lot of other manufacturers products that don't have major parts failing on them.
rac3r

« Reply #1803 on: October 16, 2011, 07:37:02 AM »

Every manufacturer has their own problems
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1804 on: October 16, 2011, 07:47:12 AM »

Every manufacturer has their own problems

True, but it is somewhat ironic that my HD had almost zero issues after flogging it for a number of years, while my S4RS has had quite a few issues that have caused me to question it as a daily rider.

Harleys earned the reputation as unreliable.  That reputation was so deserved that reputation that it persists years after it became false.

Ducati seems to get a pass in that department because they look and sound so beautiful and they scream down the road so well (when they aren't acting up that is).

If only my Ducati was half as reliable as my HD.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #1805 on: October 16, 2011, 09:20:01 AM »

The fact you allege you "flog" an H-D is laughable

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1806 on: October 16, 2011, 10:35:12 AM »

The fact you allege you "flog" an H-D is laughable

Be that as it may.  My HD always started when I went for a ride, it always ran well, the tank never expanded, and it never burst into flames while on the highway.

Wish I could say the same for my Ducati, but I can't.

Alot of people like to talk smack about HD.  That's okay.  I know better.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:38:12 AM by NorDog » Logged

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #1807 on: October 16, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »

we've got 'em in our garage.   physically impossible to flog one no matter how you hard you might try.   its like school bus racing, might be fun but it ain't fast even if you "push it".

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1808 on: October 16, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »

If you say you can't do it, I believe you.   Kiss

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #1809 on: October 16, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »

leveraging up the back tire because of floor boards is a one-time experience

iRam

« Reply #1810 on: October 16, 2011, 04:23:26 PM »

popcorn

Ducati Monster 796
BMW R nineT
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1811 on: October 16, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »

Well, since we've gone clear off the reservation, I'll run point.

Why do some of the members in this thread willingly 'accept' that Ducati's gas tank resolution is 'acceptable'?  That's the 'free pass' NorDog is talking about.  If we had frames that bent occasionally but did not cause injury that's kind of in the same category.  Yes, it's a stretch but in either case we can't find an affordable alternative to either one if we'd like it permanently fixed.

And the coated tanks may or may not last the life of the tank itself.  And paid for by the owners, not the Company.  BS.  If Ford sold cars with leaky or expanding gas tanks, they'd be crucified on the evening news.

So we're stuck with these bikes.  Or sell them.  Me?  I'm on the bubble.  I would have to pony up considerable money for a front end revision, rear shock and some permanent tank fix (jv, I know you have quite a total tied up in your bikes).  The reason I'm on the bubble of selling or keeping is that I could get into a different bike that isn't something I have to 'improve upon': (clutch slave, proper gearing, reasonably sorted suspension, better ergos).  That's option 1, or do I keep complaining as I wade through the accessories I'd need on the S2R.

I HATE the fact that The S2R is all but unrideable in town and needs to get over 4500 just to get a usable bike when commuting.  However once you're in the heat of the midrange it's magic.  Revs great all the way up to its ceiling.  The transition areas between docile use and whipping it like a dog that get me agitated.  Compounding this in my mind is that I paid 17k for a BMW Megamoto, 113hp, 85 ft/lbs.  Stock.  It's a joy each.  And.  Every time I ride it.  Did I say stock?  Yes, I did.  My S2R won't get those numbers, but I'd be goddam close money-wise to get it where I'd like it to be.  So who's the fool?  I am because I foolishly think that a bunch of random accessories might make my S2R 'better' somehow.  I'm a jackarse I know.

NorDog in my mind is right, despite the HD analogy.  We want a bike to ride, sometimes to putz with.  If the putzing eclipses the riding, the bike is an albatross.  Since my bike is 50/50, it's toss up.  But knowing Ducati isn't behind us consumers, well that's unfortunate at best and puts me off.  I don't know what HD's position is on customer service but I've had better service with other manufacturers.  Ones that don't take August off for vacation either.

Certainly other companies have their shortcomings.  I've owned KTM, BMW, Honda, Yamaha and others with their own characteristics, gearing exhaust or other. 

The fact that we're over one hundred and twenty pages into this thread and topic tells me a few people are pissed about the company yet are divided about what to do with a bike they might actually enjoy.

Now how do we remedy the situation at hand, F the company and get back to riding the MFers? 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:40:34 PM by hillbillypolack » Logged
muskrat

« Reply #1812 on: October 16, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »

Be that as it may.  My HD always started when I went for a ride, it always ran well, the tank never expanded, and it never burst into flames while on the highway.

Wish I could say the same for my Ducati, but I can't.

Alot of people like to talk smack about HD.  That's okay.  I know better.
+1 friend. 

Hillbillypolack, you hit the nail on the head.  I love my Ducs but after servicing my HD (major service that is), I was out the door for $413.  Tranny, engine fluids, new spark plugs and a shit ton of work.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1813 on: October 16, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »

Nissan has had a similar problem with gas tanks on the xterra and other models.

No outrage.  Plenty of problems reported tho.

Thus tank issue is simply not analagous to your frame example.  There is a legal standard for what qualifies as a dangerous defect and until someone gets hurt it doesn't look like it will change much.

If applied right any epoxy coating should last a very long time.  Caswell says it has done 20 years in simulated tests.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1814 on: October 16, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »

Nissan has had a similar problem with gas tanks on the xterra and other models.

No outrage.  Plenty of problems reported tho.

Thus tank issue is simply not analagous to your frame example.  There is a legal standard for what qualifies as a dangerous defect and until someone gets hurt it doesn't look like it will change much.

If applied right any epoxy coating should last a very long time.  Caswell says it has done 20 years in simulated tests.

For one particular instance.  The tanks.

However, I think for many of us who have owned Ducatis for several years over several models, this is the straw that is breaking the camel's back.

We've endured popping voltage regulators during the mid 90s, leaving us stranded.  We've tolerated spotty availability of 'performance parts' that sometimes did what they advertised, sometimes just making the bike cold blooded or less than reliable.  We've personally sought out sturdier aftermarket clutch slaves because Ducati couldn't see engineering one 2mm bigger that wasn't prone to locking up the bike at a stop light. . or to mellow out the GD clutch pull.  Now it's the tanks, and with that I wonder how much more effort and money do I tolerate putting into this bike.  Or do I pitch it and start afresh with another bike?  Like I said above, I'm 50/50-undecided.

But make no mistake this is my final Ducati.  Period.  And the tragedy of it is that I'm lucky enough (knock wood) to be in a demographic which can afford and partially enhance these bikes.  Instead, I'm moving on from Italian bikes for my next ride and into something more sorted.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:34:56 PM by hillbillypolack » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: