Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:37:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695254 times)
extra330

« Reply #1815 on: October 17, 2011, 05:23:32 AM »

For one particular instance.  The tanks.

However, I think for many of us who have owned Ducatis for several years over several models, this is the straw that is breaking the camel's back.

<snip>
 do I pitch it and start afresh with another bike?  Like I said above, I'm 50/50-undecided.

Yep, I'm right there with you man. I've been a loyal Ducati owner since 97 when I bought my first duc, a 900SSSP. After the 900 there was the ST4S which was a great machine although as the miles piled on it was clear that she wasn't a good fit for me. The reach for the bars was just a tad too far. In 07 I once again stepped to the plate and bought my first Monster, an S4RS. Three fuel tanks later I'm really thinking about selling her and jumping off the Ducati train ride. There may be a BMW R1200S in my furture. If I'm lucky I'll be able to unload the S4RS and have enough cash for the BMW without coming out of pocket... 

I've been saying this to myself for a couple of months now. The problem is the S4RS is just so much effin fun to ride I think I'll have a hard time actually going through with my so called escape plan. laughingdp

cheers
Mike

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #1816 on: October 17, 2011, 05:31:35 AM »

You need to test ride more bikes, and own a few other manufacturer's bikes.  For the prices Ducati asks for their bikes, there are a lot of other manufacturers products that don't have major parts failing on them.

Been their, done that.  That is why even with a bad tank (which is fixed) HD's, Trumps, Rice, to me nothing feels like my S4Rs.  Comparing HD's to a Duc is not viable even in reliability.  The tank problem was no problem and I fail to see why everyone is making it a problem.  Get a new replacement, coat it and ride.  If you want to get a different bike,  going through the list of troubles you have had with your Duc is not necessary,  just get out of it. I do wish I had my HD back, but I cannot for the life of me find a reason to campare the two. Shocked

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1817 on: October 17, 2011, 06:24:11 AM »

For one particular instance.  The tanks.

However, I think for many of us who have owned Ducatis for several years over several models, this is the straw that is breaking the camel's back.

But make no mistake this is my final Ducati.  Period.  And the tragedy of it is that I'm lucky enough (knock wood) to be in a demographic which can afford and partially enhance these bikes.  Instead, I'm moving on from Italian bikes for my next ride and into something more sorted.

My first ducati was a Bronco...  a beautiful little 120cc pushrod bike with a jellymold tank.  It was well used when I got it, but something about it just sparked my love for bikes.  Of course, I was 17 ..

My next bike was a Honda Nighthawk and frankly, it left me wanting a lot.  It ran perfectly, but I couldn't help feeling like I was driving somehting with the soul of a vacuum cleaner. 

Next bike was a '62 HD xl.  I bought it partly disassembled and put it back together.  Even though it ran like shit, it had a lot more character than the Honda.

I got rid of that and bought a Ducati GTL.  It was a mistake, but I was still loving the Ducati name.  The next bike was a Pantah 500.  I still remember the feel of it and it's partly why I love Ducatis to this day.  It wasn't perfect, there was a lot wrong with the finish, peeling off etc. 

Next bike was a 900SS.  I had no problems with mine.  I know others did, but I can't say it affected me.

Since that time, I've accumulated another 12 Ducatis (if you count the Cagiva Ducatis, Alazzura and Elefants).  I still have 10 of them. 

Ducati has 1100 people worldwide and they've managed to survive and win, win, win in racing, and still have time to make beautiful bikes that are copied by our friends in Japan.  Yes, the Hondas and BMWs are good bikes, but they have problems too despite being HUGE companies with HUGE factories.  I remember reading that Honda makes around 300,000 bikes per year, dwarfing Ducati.  Moreover, Ducati only makes bikes, period.   None of the Japanese zaibatsus can say that.  A few european companies can, but none that are widely sold in the states.  That is something that impresses me. 

BMW riders have had MASSIVE problems with the drive shaft imploding on them. 

Sure the tanks deformed, but Ducati has been replacing them almost from the beginning (well, since it was recognized as a real problem.).  I think that shows a real commitment to owners.  I sincerely believe they simply do not have the resources to develop wholly new, road-legal, worldwide-legal tanks for these bikes.  However, they did give us a solution which will work:  Get a new tank, and coat it.  They can't do it, but we can. 

You can spend $200 to have the dealer do it, or you can spend $50 to do it yourself.  Either way, that is peanuts compared to what you will spend on a triple or a set of wheels or rearsets. 

The coating will last.  If you are nervouse about it lasting, then re-coat the tank again after a few years.  It will outlast your time on this planet.

And if you are moving on to another brand, well.. Good luck.  My buddy who rides an R1150 has had his drive shaft and bevels replaced twice now.  He wants to dump it and buy a Ducati.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
muskrat

« Reply #1818 on: October 17, 2011, 06:47:56 AM »

I do wish I had my HD back, but I cannot for the life of me find a reason to campare the two. Shocked
the only reason to compare the two is "lifestyle" IMO.  Sadly the bashing here is all about HD's but when you compare maintenance costs there is a clear winner.  Oh, and mine has a metal tank - including both Ducs.  Grin

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #1819 on: October 17, 2011, 06:56:01 AM »

And consider, before selling/trading an S4RS what your new payments would be... Motowheels has a sale on carbon tanks and ETI makes Kevlar tanks. or simply coat it. 

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1820 on: October 17, 2011, 07:11:01 AM »

FTR, I have no intention of this being my last Ducati.  Despite the problems I love my S4RS.  I just take issue with the idea that after shelling out so much money I owe allegiance or loyalty to the brand.  I'm an old school HD rider from way back.  If I took that attitude I would never have bought a Ducati to begin with.

In my world, my bike needs to be loyal to me; not me to a company brand.

In any event, I will not buy another Ducati as my sole bike/daily rider.  If the day comes I'll be glad to buy one for weekend runs and track days (if I ever get around to doing another track day).

Also FTR, the expanding tank is only one issue with Ducatis.  I'm still scratching my head over mounting the volt-reg under the seat.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Curmudgeon

« Reply #1821 on: October 17, 2011, 07:17:25 AM »

waytogo

Well put, ducatiz!

I dearly wish hillbillypolack would dump his Ducati and buy an F800ST. Then he would really be able to satisfy his recreational moaning on the F-Series Forum.  Wink http://f800riders.org/forum/forum.php That is..., if the ABS didn't kill him first! Wink He'd also be able to experience another level in corporate stonewalling, denial, arrogance, and a very limited "good will" policy.

Incidentally, compare a 796 @ $9,995 to an F800ST @ ~ $13,500. Both need a shock and risers. These days BMW has a lot of nerve to ask that premium for a propeller and mainly cheaper components. +$3,500 for heated grips and a 1/2 fairing and a torture seat, drive belt ($$$) and a buzzy mill. Servicing costs and not much cheaper either. I actually seriously considered one until I rode it. (Fuel pump failures due to ethanol, no extra charge.) Then I rode a 696 and ordered a 796 as you're aware. Massive difference in intuitive handling and..., the 796 chassis is just sooo composed at all times. Etc., etc., etc...

BTW, you omitted the fuel surging issue on all the R1150's which to this day BMW declares doesn't exist.

Most people who've had a few know why they prefer Ducatis.

Regards!

P.S. Sorry you never had a 600 SL. The paint and finish by then were as good as the 900 SS for $250 more which I also owned. You know which one I preferred to ride!

William (Since 1965, 22 BMW's, 9 Ducatis, 1 Triumph, and more Maico's, Montessa's et al. than I can recall... Wink)

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1822 on: October 17, 2011, 07:18:22 AM »

shit, my girlfriends suzuki is only what, 5 years old? has only 4000 miles on it? the entire charging system just blew on it. My duc is just as old, has twice the mileage, and (knock on wood) has had ZERO issues. maybe those maintenance costs pay off?

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
K3V1N

« Reply #1823 on: October 17, 2011, 09:01:57 AM »

I have a 06 M620 with 21k on it. Cliff's BMW / Ducati in CT took photos a year ago and then when I called to follow up to see if Ducati would replace my tank they said they no longer carry Ducati Sad

I then emailed Rockwell in NY this spring to see if they would send photos but I never heard back. I should have called.

Is there any chance that I could get a replacement at this point and does anyone have any ideas I how to get a dealer to help me out and send photos in?

I had kind of just decided I was going to live with it but figured I would throw a post up to see if I had any other options.

Scissors

« Reply #1824 on: October 17, 2011, 09:14:29 AM »

Comparing HD's to a Duc is not viable even in reliability.

That's because these days HD kicks the ever living crap out of Ducati for reliability.

Sure the tanks deformed, but Ducati has been replacing them almost from the beginning (well, since it was recognized as a real problem.).  I think that shows a real commitment to owners.  I sincerely believe they simply do not have the resources to develop wholly new, road-legal, worldwide-legal tanks for these bikes.  However, they did give us a solution which will work:  Get a new tank, and coat it.  They can't do it, but we can.

While it would cost them extra to switch tanks on the currently-existing model(s), it would cost them virtually nothing to go with, say, metal on future designs, or something else which doesn't have these problems.  We'll see how "committed" to owners they are at that time.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1825 on: October 17, 2011, 09:18:33 AM »

While it would cost them extra to switch tanks on the currently-existing model(s), it would cost them virtually nothing to go with, say, metal on future designs, or something else which doesn't have these problems.  We'll see how "committed" to owners they are at that time.

It's a good question, but I don't think that's the direction they will go in.  First off, several of the models (MTS) have a tank that can't easily be made with metal.

Secondly, the cost per tank of rotomolded vs metal is just no contest.  There is nothing wrong with a plastic tank in concept, they just need to make sure the material is compatible with the fuel whereever they sell bikes.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
JimmyTheDriver

« Reply #1826 on: October 17, 2011, 09:35:05 AM »

They are letting you take the new tank home to coat before installign it?

That's a very cool thing to do.  Who is the dealer?

As long as I leave the bike, they have stated I can take the tank.  Seems fair.

Coleman Powersports in Falls Church, VA.  I am a Duc Pond guy, but I live down the street from them and they have been nothing but great with this issue.

-Jim
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #1827 on: October 17, 2011, 10:12:21 AM »

That's because these days HD kicks the ever living crap out of Ducati for reliability.

And switch to a heavier steel tank? no thanks, the old bikes came with 'em & they weigh a whole lot. 

DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1828 on: October 17, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »

And switch to a heavier steel tank? no thanks, the old bikes came with 'em & they weigh a whole lot. 

I thought the plastic tanks actualy weigh more.

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #1829 on: October 17, 2011, 10:20:47 AM »

no, from my information (partly based on the heavy steel tanks in my garage, the lighter plastic ones in the shop when i was there, and the desmosedici 'design' video):

weight heirarchy is steel--plastic--aluminum--carbon/kevlar

price heirarchy is plastic--steel--carbon/kevlar/aluminum

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: