Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 11:15:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6000 mile service  (Read 4652 times)
alexisonfire

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 10:20:43 AM »

You may not need to pay the big bucks for the 6K service.

I'm replacing the belts and inspecting valve shim gaps myself.  These are the two major things done at 6K.  If the valve gaps are off you may consider having a professional re-shim for you (Stuart). 

Get yourself a good maintenance guide (LT Snyder), some basic tools, and a person with experience to help guide you through your first time.  Sdlrodeo and I are going to tackle my 6K service in a couple of weekends.

If you're not a hands on type of guy, Stuart Rust hands down.  I've been to two of his tech sessions and the dude is a Ducati god.

You can live to 100 if you give up all the things that make you want to live to 100.

07 S2R 1000
GeorgeInDallas

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 04:37:27 PM »

Wow.  That's sad to hear those unpleasant experiences with N. Dallas Eurosport.  I've taken my bike in for various service items on Saturdays, waited for the bike and ridden it home.  Reasonable prices, proper wrenching - no probs... I was upset about the ECU replacement required on my 2006 ST3, but they didn't make the bike.

I suppose any dealer or mechanic is going to generate horror stories sooner or later, most of which are well-deserved.  But just for the sake of balance, my experience - perhaps in the minority - was still decent with DNE.  I have no reservations about going back.

BUT, since I live downtown now, Plano isn't a convenient place for me to get service and I wasn't crazy about having my bike bussed across the Metroplex for service by AMS, although that seems to be changing now.  AND I like to support the competent independent wrencher (like Randy, since he's 5 minutes from my place) or Stuart (because he's so highly regarded).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

G.

"It's about the ride.", Peter Fonda in Wild Hogs.
Pinocchio
Unsung

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 04:47:21 PM »

Word up:
[story] In warranty: AMS. Out of warranty: Stuart Rust or Randy. Believe it or do it yourself. [/story]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:50:33 PM by bevelhead » Logged

1969 Scrambler (450 “Jupiter”), 2005 MTS 1000DS, 2007 Monster S4RS, 2010 MTS 1200S Touring, 2018 Monster 1200R, 2021 Monster 937+
fastwin
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 05:27:59 PM »

Randy voiced that same sentiment. If you are in warranty only have a certified Ducati tech do the work. DNA will bust your balls if something goes wrong under warranty and you have worked on the bike yourself or had a non-cert tech do it. You will be screwed even if you or the non-cert tech are competent mechanics. It's a major "out" for DNA to fix anything under warranty.
Slag
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 05:53:27 PM »

DNA will bust your balls if something goes wrong under warranty and you have worked on the bike yourself or had a non-cert tech do it. You will be screwed even if you or the non-cert tech are competent mechanics. It's a major "out" for DNA to fix anything under warranty.

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975 disagrees with you.  They have to prove that your work on the bike caused the problem that you are trying to have covered under warranty.  Do I recommend that everyone check their own valves?  make the beast with two backs no!  But a manufacturer cannot void your warranty because you let Randy change your oil  waytogo 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: