Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 09:48:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6000 mile service  (Read 4689 times)
crashoverridem629

« on: June 23, 2009, 06:07:56 PM »

OK i live out of town Tyler actually but need to head to dfw for any dealer work. i called advanced in Alvarado and they quoted me 800 to 1200 for a 6000 mile service. does that sound right to you guys it just seems alill high. I'm a new duc owner and got laid off right after i got the bike so i have to watch my spending so the wife doesn't make me get rid of the duc ( shes been alill jealous of the time I'm spending with it  Roll Eyes) anyway just wondering if that sounds right and if there is anything i can do to bring it down alill ( not mechanical enough to check and shim valves myself). thanks guys love the forum and can't wait to get together for meets.

06 s2r 800
sdlrodeo

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 06:21:49 PM »

What sort of bike do you have? Is it under warranty?

Did you try calling North TX bmw motorcycles (they sell/fix ducs)

Steve

Wrist is to throttle as finger is to trigger.
crashoverridem629

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »

sorry its an 06 s2r800 not under warranty. no i haven't talked to them i will give them a call thanks

06 s2r 800
DrDesmo

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »

sorry its an 06 s2r800 not under warranty. no i haven't talked to them i will give them a call thanks

That is a ridiculous price for a 2V.

Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
crashoverridem629

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:02:07 PM »

i thought so also i know ducs are expensive to maintain but that threw me for a loop. any suggestions on who to talk to in the area ?

06 s2r 800
DrDesmo

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »

i thought so also i know ducs are expensive to maintain but that threw me for a loop. any suggestions on who to talk to in the area ?

I do not (I'm in Boston, just saw your post come across  Smiley )

How handy are you?  The 2V Motors are not difficult to check and service yourself.  Many Ducatisti prefer them for their simplicity and elegance, especially with servicing.  If you can turn some wrenches and have a free afternoon, you could do your service yourself for very little $.

Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
muskrat

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 07:49:01 PM »

My .02 cents is DO NOT call the dealer in Plano.  They will hold you bike hostage and damage it in the process.  There are many like us with that experience, they will cater to Beemers all day long and it seems Ducs are simply a pain for them.  Mine, same bike, cost $800 but I replaced the belts as well.  Of course add tax to that.  You can also try Stuart Rust at Rust Restoration in Mansfield.  Someone here will have his number.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Slag
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 04:05:28 AM »

Stuart Rust

817-899-6261
Duc Fever

07 S2R1K 09 696(Wifes)

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 04:46:58 AM »

Muskrat, Sorry to hear about your experience with BMW in Plano, My wife and I have had the exact opposite experience there.  We have purchased 4 Ducs from them over the past 3 years or so and have always been impressed by them.  I had my 7500mi service done a few months ago on my S2r1K for about $600.00.  We have always called ahead for maint and our bikes have always been ready the same day as promised.  When I needed a new Back tire they matched the lowest price I found on the internet.  They also price matched my wifes full Termi kit for her 696 waytogo  So not everyone has had poor experience with them.

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him" ~ John Morely
muskrat

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 04:50:17 AM »

you're right, not everyone just most I've talked to.  He held my bike for more than a month with nothing having been done to it.  I had to get DNA involved to get my bike back......pitiful really but my .02 cents.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
fastwin
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 05:10:18 AM »

I'm glad John had good luck. That's nice but as Muskrat said he is in the minority. They had my friend's Triumph for SIX MONTHS last year! That's right, half the year. When they finally said that it was ready he went in several days later and it still wasn't ready. He blew up (as he should!) and they stayed late putting it together. Guess what, on the ride home it stalled, bucked and died. Yep, back it went the next week. Then they finally got around to really fixing it. Sorry, but stories like that are going to follow a shop around forever.

Flip a coin, hope for John's good luck or that of others. Or... Stuart Rust. hint hint
Slag
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 05:21:14 AM »

I had a bad experience with them and my MV Agusta.  I also had a bad experience trying to buy a new MV.  I was there to buy a new F4 and walked out empty handed.  The salesman literally blew me off.  I told him that I wanted the bike three times, and to please start the paperwork.  Every time he walked over to a different customer.  This was a cash deal. 

I also tried to buy some parts for my MV through them.  Epic Fail.  I actually bought my first Ducati just so I didn’t have to deal with them any more.  I truly miss the MV, but will not own another one until we have a different dealer in the area.
GeorgeInDallas

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 05:22:51 AM »

Would Randy McCarter [817-706-8870] over at Motopia in Dallas be another resource for a 6K service?

I'm asking for two reasons: first, to help the OP; second, I need the 18K service myself (and his new shop is VERY close to where I live).

Thanks.
George

"It's about the ride.", Peter Fonda in Wild Hogs.
fastwin
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 06:26:41 AM »

Randy is great, no two ways about it. I am not sure if he will do major scheduled service on Ducatis. I never have asked him. I know he did the major 24K on Scott's flying brick Bemmer. He's obviously capable. He has done great work on all my scooters but I have never had him do a full Duc service. There is no loss in making a phone call and asking. 817-706-8870.

As great as Randy is (and he is...) Stuart is the Ducati Zen Master of the Universe. He made the AMS service dept. what it is today. He assuredly is one of the top 10 Ducati technicians in the US. No offense to Jeff, Jordan and the gang at AMS, but they lost a great tech when he decided to leave. Apparently no hard feelings, he just wanted a break. If your going to haul your bike from Tyler to AMS Alvarado then Stuart is just rock throwing distance away in Mansfield. Besides, I bet you could make arrangements with Stuart to have the bike serviced the same day you bring it in. Leave Tyler in the wee hours, be at his place in the early AM and be finished that afternoon. Call him and see if that's possible. Plus he's cheaper than AMS. waytogo
GeorgeInDallas

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 07:41:20 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, the "major" maintenance is done at multiples of 12K, no?  The 6K and the 18K are the "tweeners", right?

My plan is to use Randy for anything and everything he is interested in doing - I know there are some things he'd prefer not (refuse?) to do and that's fine.  I just don't know what those things are yet.

G.

"It's about the ride.", Peter Fonda in Wild Hogs.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: