Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 04:56:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watch out for the dog  (Read 7332 times)
S4ROB

« on: May 20, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »

One of my friends was taken out by a dog a couple of weeks ago. He said when the dog came after him, he tried to kick it. The dog then tried to avoid being kicked and ran right in front of the bike, so his leg then acted like a kickstand. Really screwed his leg up.  He was only going about 15 or 20 mph.

Has a dog ever came after you?

Whats the best way to evade a dog or other creature ? 

I think gas it and go if you can.

"Guns. You think you have enough, until the ZOMBIES come."
Gunslinger's Journal
Aminul

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:22:49 PM »

In my MSF someone asked the same question.  The instructor said to drive slowly towards the dog and then throttle around him when you get close.  The idea was by kicking the dog you have a better chance of losing balance yourself.  (or scaring the dog into running in your path!)  Luckily, I haven't had a chance to put this advise to use.
Ducatiloo

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 03:46:40 PM »

In my MSF someone asked the same question.  The instructor said to drive slowly towards the dog and then throttle around him when you get close.  The idea was by kicking the dog you have a better chance of losing balance yourself.  (or scaring the dog into running in your path!)  Luckily, I haven't had a chance to put this advise to use.

+1 on that.  I wait until the dog gets to the side of me then gun it.  IF you take off while the dog is charging he may cut you off, and take you down.

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:48:11 AM »

I had a similar thing happen to me about a year ago, dog was coming towards me doing stupid dog stuff.  I was in 2nd gear driving in the neighborhood slow (I try to be nice to the neighbors)

When it was clear he was coming close, I clutched and revved the engine.  It scared the shit out of the dog and he turned tail and ran.

Depends on how loud your pipes are, mine are PFL at full throttle.

I didn't even go above 20-25 mph

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
kutter

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:11:08 AM »

Threadjack, sort of.

This thread made me think about watching my dog. He would always run to the street and chase cars but never leave the yard, they say it's a territory thing why they do it, chasing stuff away and all. Anyway, he never actually ran at the car, he calculated in his head the intercept point and ran there, it was a really big yard. I spent several years teaching people how to plot intercepts on maneuvering boards and rapid radar plot and it was a pain and a lot of them never really grasped the concept, yet my dog did it all in his head without thinking. Must be a hunting thing left over from being a wolf.

End threadjack.

So maybe the best thing to do is to let them figure your course and speed and plot the intercept then alter your speed dramatically so they cannot achieve intercept.

Is that a really fancy way of saying speed up a whole lot?

All my best ideas get me into trouble.

I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates when he said, 'I drank what?!'

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything..... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:16:21 AM »

The instructor said to drive slowly towards the dog and then throttle around him when you get close. 

+1
No FHE, but that's what MSF instructors say.  Drive slowly towards the dog (to get the dog to commit to a path) then swerve away from the dog and gun it.
univox

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 07:18:58 AM »

General consensus is to slow down then speed up again. The change in speed will throw off the dog's natural ability to intercept your path.
DY

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 07:36:26 AM »

The change in speed will throw off the dog's natural ability to intercept your path.

Best explanation.  waytogo
CNS-Mike

"Do it!"

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 07:41:44 AM »

The guy I bought my first motorcycle from lived on a farm in rural Wisconsin.  He was big into bikes and owned several.  He also had a huge f'ng rottweiler that hated bikes and would always chase them and try to bite the rear tire off.  So one of the first things this newly minted squid learned was how to shake the dog in pursuit.  Slow down until they commit to their line of approach and then gun it.    It's like Billy D's Colt 45 - Works everytime.  chug

2007 S2R1K - Chopped tail and emissions can; 14T front, Vizi-tec LED tail light, HID, CRG lane splitters

Sold - 1998 Honda Shadow Aero  ***  Crashed - 1980 Yamaha XS1100  ***  Killed - 1978 Yamaha XS750
flanman

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »

Best explanation.  waytogo

Thats what my MSF instructer said as well

duc996

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 12:19:02 AM »

I thought dogs would only chase you on the side,that's what my MSF instructor told us,so he said keep it in straight line and speed up a bit.Umm...

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 11:51:02 AM »

Threadjack, sort of.

This thread made me think about watching my dog. He would always run to the street and chase cars but never leave the yard, they say it's a territory thing why they do it, chasing stuff away and all. Anyway, he never actually ran at the car, he calculated in his head the intercept point and ran there, it was a really big yard. I spent several years teaching people how to plot intercepts on maneuvering boards and rapid radar plot and it was a pain and a lot of them never really grasped the concept, yet my dog did it all in his head without thinking. Must be a hunting thing left over from being a wolf.

End threadjack.

So maybe the best thing to do is to let them figure your course and speed and plot the intercept then alter your speed dramatically so they cannot achieve intercept.

Is that a really fancy way of saying speed up a whole lot?

Thats exactly what your are supposed todo it is a hunting instinct.  A lot of predatory animals do the same thing all the time just watch some animal planet!

"Just ride and never ever look back"

www.suspectsunlimited.com
rockaduc

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 02:43:37 PM »

General consensus is to slow down then speed up again. The change in speed will throw off the dog's natural ability to intercept your path.

Exactly, this also works on a Snowmobile!!!!  (First hand experience).

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
trenner

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 03:39:42 PM »

Exactly, this also works on a Snowmobile!!!!  (First hand experience).

Why are snowmobiles chasing you on your motorcycle?

trenner

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 03:44:16 PM »

I had a friend who rode over a couch on the LA freeway, on his motorcycle.  When he saw that he was going to hit it, he leaned back and opened the throttle.  Landed unhurt, made a great story to tell over beer.

Probably wouldn't work as well for dogs.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: