Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 12:47:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coping with being a biker chick  (Read 27256 times)
ducgrl

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 04:17:14 AM »

laughingdp

I get that too!  Let me know when you find out!!  Grin

2008 S2R1000
2011 Harley Davidson V-Rod Muscle
CannedIce

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 11:01:54 AM »

Ive been riding for a few years now, so the family and coworkers all know I ride and dont say too much anymore.  My mom of course always tells me her latest "so and so's cousin's son's etc. was killed on a motorcycle" story, to which I always ask my standard questions: do you know what happened, were they speeding, wearing a helmet, wearing full gear?  She never has any details, just that someone was killed on a motorcycle and so logically I am also destined to die.  I just reassure her that I am very careful and always wear full gear.

I get more comments from complete strangers.  Some about me, some about the bike.  Some of my favorites: "Ducati...who makes that?"; "Italians cant/dont make motorcycles."; "You dont ride a scooter?!"; "I thought that looked like a GIRL'S bike" (from a Harley guy); "That thing probably doesnt go very fast" (cause girls cant ride fast bikes?  dunno); "How do you get on that thing/I just want to see you get on it" (I'm 5'1"); and "You dont look like someone who would ride"

I just smile and keep walking.  Its not really worth talking to them.

This is the same stuff I get from complete strangers more than family and friends.

The best one was my friend's next door neighbor said "wow, that's a nice bike, but not for someone like you." You are too cute to be riding a motorcycle and it is too dangerous" He was an older guy who also had a story that someone he knows was killed while riding a bike. He proceeded to badger me until I was red in the face fuming.  I had to walk away because anything I said didn't change the fact that his friend died on a bike.

I have found it is the best advice to just walk away in the first place before they have a change to dig into you. Also, if someone does say something don't let it get to you. F*ck em!

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
DucMouse the Mighty
At least the smartess part of my body is my

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »

completely agree with y'all...

i have always had some support riding and friends would say "be careful" in a friendly non badgering way...

but i do have to say, the shitty thing that happened was when i got into my accident (mind u it wasnt my fault some lady wasnt paying attention and turned in front of me) and when i went to the ER  and told them it was a M/C accident they all ssumed it was my fault...Dusty was there. then a month later i was still having bad pain and went to another doc ( couldnt get my PC doc) and this doc was dick and just ranting about how bad bikes are  Angry i just got my pain script and left....

more then people nagging i hate is when people just assume ur always at fault  bang head

spankin™

Copy. Calibration error = humidity, altitude, attitude to tutu, distraction from tutu, stereotype naked rat bikes, human error due to heat, tutu and jealousy!
badgalbetty

its never too late to be who you might have been

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 07:12:36 PM »

"" I don't mind the "ride safe" and "be careful"s. It is more dangerous than taking the bus, after all.""
You have obviously never seen me drive a bus............ laughingdp
I make doing the dishes look more dangerous than riding motorcycles.........just ask my friends!

"Its never too late to be who you might have been" - George Elliot.
Stella

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »

You are a funny one.    Grin

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
roxy696

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 05:15:09 PM »

After reading the posts to do with people deciding that bikes are bad after someone has had a friend die on one thought that i would share my story.  When I was around 8 years old, there were friends of my older sister and brothers (they are all 7 or more years older than me) the two guys shared a house up the road and they rode bikes, both worked away then one weekend when they were coming home due to one of the guys deciding to propose to his girlfriend decided that they would come home in the "safer" form of transport the van, sadly they did not make it home.  For me the one thing that it taught me was that there is no need to put yourself in danger deliberately but you will not stop fate.  So for me all those that know me well (so being the ones to care about) they know that I live life to have fun and that is what I do.  Life is good!

PS: hope that no one is too upset by this post if so just ask and I will happily remove.

Happy rides

Nic
Ducgirl

Racing Red 696 re-mapped w/Termi's & Marchesinis

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »

Even though it is a sad story, I think it is a good post and I agree.
Ducgirl
No_Normale

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 09:54:24 PM »

Staggering Story. Nice perspectives!

Long story short: I got over it. And ride I do safely and with grace as often as possible. It is nice to know that there are people around me that care!

Still love taking the helmet off and getting the "Holy S..." looks.
It is great! Most of them don't know what they are missing!
roxy696

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »

Thanks, I am a very happy biker chic [moto] and could not think of getting any other bike than my monster.  I know that i do not post very often but thanks to all who do it is great to read lots of people stories and views on stuff and the encouragement given to people is awesome!

Summer has come early to us here in Tasmania (do not worry we could still have snow anytime) and it has been nice to get out with less layers on.

Happy rides
Nic
Princess
1.5 hrs from Laguna Seca

:( broke a nail doing a wheelie the other day :(

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 08:56:50 PM »

well - just tell 'em to just shut their pieholes - that's what I do.... sorry to anyone who's offended by piehole Smiley

maillotpois

Faster on my Merckx

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 02:03:35 PM »

I prefer cakehole.  But I am not a fan of pie.

My hovercraft is full of eels.
badgalbetty

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 05:10:20 PM »

judging by the size of my hips I am obviously a fan of both pie and cake! laughingdp

azoomm

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 06:41:52 PM »

Hi ladies, a few to add.

This past weekend at the International Motorcycle Show
Old man looking at my 998:  "They let you ride that?"
Me:  "Yup, they let me vote too."  with a wink and a smile.

At WSBK race at Miller
Man with his wife after telling me that "No woman of mine will ever ride a motorcycle!!"  and a quick shocked "You've been riding THAT??"
Me:  "Yup, I've even been wearing shoes for YEARS" again, with wink and a smile.

I try to offset by telling my best friends and family to "Drive fast, take chances!!"  And, usually loud enough for most to hear with a cheery offset and laugh. 

On the subject of temperature and gear... "Aren't you HOT in that?"  can be quickly followed by "I was HOT before I put it on, and I'd like to stay that way..."  Added wink and smile will only add to the coy fun of it.  I try VERY hard to not be offended by most anything anyone says.  There was once upon a time when I first started riding some 20 years ago when it wasn't an idea for most women to ride.  Not a good or bad idea - just not even an idea, it hadn't occurred to most to pilot their own.  So, I'll be happy to smile my way through the education process.  It's only offensive if you make it so...

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
badgalbetty

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 07:00:20 AM »

well said!

I have never ridden on the back,never will.

I am my own girl,I make my own life and am happy to see that you do to! applause

shortyonamonster

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 12:52:34 AM »

Grin nice to meet you ladies

I'm 5'2. I unfortunately will therefore always be *cute.* Didn't you know that all short people are inately afraid of big scary motorcycles!  Roll Eyes! I am CONSTANTLY being told "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU RIDE A MOTORCYCLE!!!" When they launch into a discussion of all the friends-of-friends and distant relatives that once got into a very dangerous motorcycle accident, I just start telling them about the time I almost lost it on gravel, or I tell them about my friend-of-friends' accident's (usually the worst most graphic ones I can think of). It just lets them know that I'm AWARE of the dangers of riding, a hell of a lot more aware then they are (as most of them have never even sat on the back!). Hearing another "motorcycles are dangerous because..." lecture isn't going to make me sell my bike or take a cab home! I like to shake up people's steryotypes, it's good for them  [moto]

PS- once I went into Canadian Tire and the guy at the till spent 15 minutes looking for the bulb I wanted before coming back and timidly asking "Is it a scooter or a motorbike." Then when I told him it was a bike, he launched into a story about the time he crashed his!!!! Typical!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: