Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 12:14:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you cooking tonight?  (Read 12050 times)
Diavolo

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2009, 11:06:10 PM »

The recipe (just easier to post it than to send it out)

BEST CARROT CAKE

2 cups sugar
¾ cup buttermilk
¾ cup vegetable oil
3 eggs, beaten
2 tsp Vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour (+¼ cup for high altitude)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped pecans
8oz crushed pineapple, drained
3½ oz flaked coconut (opt.)
Buttermilk glaze
Cream cheese frosting

Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine first 5 ingredients, beat well.
Combine flour, soda, salt and cinnamon; add to sugar mixture, stirring well.
Add carrots, pecans, pineapple and coconut; stir well.
Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch pans with parchment placed in the bottom.
Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, pour buttermilk glaze onto cakes after they have cooled 5 minutes.
Let cool in pans 15 minutes, then chill in the freezer.  I used a buttered wire rack and flipped them on the backs of the cake tins (paper to tin, sticky side up) and placed them on open racks in the freezer until they were no longer warm to the touch, about 30 minutes .

BUTTERMILK GLAZE

1 cup sugar
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup butter
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine first 5 ingredients in saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, cooking 4 minutes stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla carefully.  1½ cups.  Adjust use to taste.  All the glaze makes a VERY candy-like cake.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

8 oz cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter
16 oz powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine cream cheese and butter, beat at medium speed until smooth.  Add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.  Stir in vanilla.  Only use a very light coat between layers and a skim coat on the cake.  Let the skim coat harden overnight and frost the cake again in a nice, casual swirl pattern.  Otherwise, you may run out of frosting.

Diavolo

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2009, 11:24:27 PM »

Does sound very delicious.  I am curious, though.  Why does the posole with oxtail take 2 days?  Mine only takes 1.  I must be doing something wrong.   Undecided

OK, here is how I do mine, ymmv.

for each bag of frozen posole kernels, I start with ~2.5 pounds of fresh oxtails.  I roast them in the oven at about 300F until they are dark brown with a half inch of water in the bottom of the pan, and the skin gets crispy and the drippings in the pan are just about dried out.  I pull the roasting pan out and deglaze the pan with water, then dump the tails and water into a stock pot.  Get to a boil and add about double the water it looks like I need then I boil it very slowly with the lid on for 8 hours or when I wake up.  After the tails fall apart (the next morning) I strain the stock thru a mesh screen and clean my pot, throw the broth in and add 5 pounds of lean pork shoulder (all fat trimmed off) and boil it for an hour.  Then I fish out the meaty bits and place them in the fridge, let the broth cool enough to handle and filter it thru clean cotton jersey material until I get a sparkling clear broth  This takes FOREVER and lots of rinsing out the cloth filter).  Once my broth is clear I throw in the rinsed posole, a tablespoon of crushed garlic, ground cumin and ground oregano, a teaspoon of turmeric and a teaspoon of cardamom and about 5 tablespoons of hot red chile powder (as a start).  I wait about 45 minutes, then add all the meat and a whole chopped onion and a LARGE pinch of kosher salt.  At this point, I add chile powder until I get a color closely resembling the skin of an blood orange and then start adding habanero sauce (I like red Yucateca) until the heat is right where I want it.  I also adjust the salt and usually end up adding another tablespoon of crushed garlic at the end.  I boil it until it just starts to bloom (pods open) then shut it off and cool it down quick.  Package in zip lock bags and place them in pots for transport, then throw them in the fridge until I am ready to go.  Once on location, I dump the bags into the pots and bring them to a boil.

I got tired just looking at what I did... I need a nap.
nicrosato
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a

Red Dog with Yellow Dog

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2009, 08:06:16 AM »

Now, this has become an interesting thread.

I cook most days, so I'm practiced at "everyday" cooking. This is true in NY when I'm working at home & not traveling, and when I'm here in ABQ.

Tried this for dessert last week- Strawberries w/sugar & balsamic vinegar.
Wash strawberries, drain, cut into bite-sized pieces. About an hour before serving stir in sugar (about 3 Tblspns per pound of strawberries). Just before seving, toss with balsamic vinegar ( 1 Tblspn per pound).

It is much better than you might think.

Nobody said that I did. Everyone says that I would.
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »

Had my first encounter with Italian wedding soup with meatballs tonight....damn good stuff...thanks Pam.
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2010, 06:15:18 AM »

Had my first encounter with Italian wedding soup with meatballs tonight....damn good stuff...thanks Pam.

I love that stuff, too, Karl.  I'm not a fan of spinach, but I can forgo my hatred in the case of wedding soup!

Ummmmmmmm.

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
nicrosato

Red Dog with Yellow Dog

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 07:32:09 PM »

This stint in ABQ I've tried a few new twists:
Linguine w/clam sauce- saute, as usual, some garlic in olive oil. A little sea salt and some fresh ground black pepper. Since fresh clams are not an option here in the desert, I used (2) cans of clams. I poured the juice in with the garlic and oil, then added about 1/2 cup of orange juice. When that simmered, added  1/2 stick of butter. After the butter melted, stirred in about 3/4 cup of minced artichoke hearts (the jarred kind, in oil), and finally the clams. Simmered quickly and tossed with the linguine. Garnished with chopped cilantro.

With guests coming tomorrow evening, I am rolling out a new dish made with fresh, home-made pasta. I'll report on that after the dinner so I have an honest reaction. Dessert will be something I have not made in a while: Grilled peach sections. I prepare a marinade by simmering orange juice & honey in a sauce pan. Near the end, I add some Malibu Rum. I let the peach sections soak in this juice for a few hours in the fridge. Grill until soft and slightly dark.

Hint: If you take the left-over marinade and add some ice and some more Malibu Rum, then mix it in a blender to the consistency of a Slurpy, you have a drink we like to call the "Barbarita".

Cloner

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 09:43:11 PM »

The Barbarita, huh?  Sounds like something Ashley would like!

I spent tonight cooking up Larry's Honda.  The valve cover gasket I thought would be easy was a pregnant dog and the shifter seal that I thought would be a pregnant dog was easy.  Go figure.   bang head

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
gratefulduc

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2011, 05:58:09 AM »

The Barbarita, huh?  Sounds like something Ashley would like!

I spent tonight cooking up Larry's Honda.  The valve cover gasket I thought would be easy was a pregnant dog and the shifter seal that I thought would be a pregnant dog was easy.  Go figure.   bang head
Oh no.........Huh?

'90 750 sport
nicrosato

Red Dog with Yellow Dog

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2011, 07:30:53 AM »

Just to make sure the mechanical component of cooking is maintained in this thread, I did re-locate my Atlas Pasta Machine from NY to ABQ this trip.

Cloner

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »

Oh no.........Huh?

No big deal, Larry.  That's just how it goes, sometimes.   waytogo

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
elyse

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2011, 01:47:43 PM »

white chicken chili yumminess!!!  Grin

says elyse Smiley

pure. adrenaline. *snort* heh heh weeeeee!
Cloner

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2011, 01:58:40 PM »

white chicken chili yumminess!!!  Grin

Are you a New Mexico local, FunF?  It's cool that you're posting if you're not, but if you are we want to beg you to come ride!

Cloner
ABQ, NM

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
elyse

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »

Are you a New Mexico local, FunF?  It's cool that you're posting if you're not, but if you are we want to beg you to come ride!

Cloner
ABQ, NM

hi! sorry, didnt even notice it was posted in the local club. i'm sitting here at work reading the new posts & obviously not paying attention Cheesy .. & nope, i'm not in nm, i'm in norcal.... but if i ever make a roadtrip through nm i'd love to ride with ya! Smiley

says elyse Smiley

pure. adrenaline. *snort* heh heh weeeeee!
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »

Pam worked on some German balls  Grin :
I meant German style meat balls tonight and I have to say that they were delicious.
Can do a repeat at Ouray if so desired:
Used lean beef, pork and lamb with sour cream, anchovies, capers and browend bread crumbs.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:45:30 PM by Zaster » Logged
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2011, 06:19:21 PM »

I made some delicious meatballs the other day too!

1lb each of ground beef and ground pork, two eggs, a can of condensed milk, fennel seads, garlic powder, and about 2/3rds a cup of Italian bread crumbs. Mix it all in a big bowl and make about 10 large meatballs. Brown the balls in a pan in some olive oil and then throw into a pot full of tomato sauce. Mix in some oregano and let simmer for two hours. Fine!  Vino!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: