Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:17:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Survivalists  (Read 5624 times)
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« on: May 25, 2008, 05:25:09 AM »

http://green.yahoo.com/news/ap/20080524/ap_on_re_us/environmental_survivalists.html

Anybody find themselves thinking like this lately?

I read this and found myself fitting in, although to a much lesser extent than some of these folks. About all I'm missing is the giant stacks of firewood and mini-farm.

Tinfoil hat time?

Discuss.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 05:31:21 AM »

My family is pretty big into gardening & canning anyway.  We'd not have much to change.  I already watch my fuel consumption on the 4-wheeled vehicles.  Everyone in the family buy my sister has the option of wood heat too ~

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
Duc Stamp

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 06:05:01 AM »

The people in the story are crazy.  A little preparation is fine, but they are overreacting to a crises that won't happen. 

So there ends up being another oil shortage like in the 70's.  Do they really believe that we'll revolt this time?

Also, they talk about the oil shortage that's started.  Well, there isn't a shortage yet and prices haven't gone up due to a shortage.  Production is as high as ever, there's just more buyers.
superjohn

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 06:48:42 AM »

Exactly. These people are overreacting, though I do think it is important to know about these things.
Xiphias
'06 S2R800 - Black/Tang (sold); '07 CBR600RR - Red. '09 R1 (Stolen).

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 07:50:15 AM »

Idiots...don't they know that I will drive up in my Prius mounted  with dual 50 caliber MGs and steal everything they have.  laughingdp
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 07:53:34 AM by RobJohn3 » Logged

Hi-ho-hi-ho....its off to the track I go.................
LMT
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 08:08:40 AM »

My SO is a pessimist.  She thinks the economy will collapse and that people will kill for food.  We have friends in Southern Oregon that farm, can, and raise chickens and rabbits for food.  Our plan is to go there in the event of the end of the world as we know it.  They do not have guns, so my contribution will be supplying the arms.  Our friend Kelly will also be there with hunting gear and large animal experience.

Otherwise, we will stay in the city, drive, eat shipped in food, and be happy in our ignorance!
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 08:15:57 AM »

http://green.yahoo.com/news/ap/20080524/ap_on_re_us/environmental_survivalists.html

Anybody find themselves thinking like this lately?

I read this and found myself fitting in, although to a much lesser extent than some of these folks. About all I'm missing is the giant stacks of firewood and mini-farm.

Tinfoil hat time?

Discuss.

read that late last night.  Yes..was feeling a bit crazy too after I read it.  Today..feeling a bit more optimistic.

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 08:22:06 AM »

I live on Main Street in my little New Hampshire town. Even though we're not officially in the boonies, we lose power several times per year, mostly in the winter. The house is old (built in 1790) and has 3 ancient oil furnaces. We've also got 2 woodstoves and 3 fireplaces, all of which are needed for heating depending upon circumstances since not all the rooms have central heat. For those reasons alone, we always have several cords of wood in the barn in addition to what's stored outside.

We've got 4 acres and I need an excuse to have the tractor, so there's some plowing and planting going on which leads to canning, etc. The nearest well-stocked grocery store is quite a way away so it just makes sense to have lots of certain staples on hand to reduce the frequency of trips and cover the chance of getting snowed in.

There's no way I'm going to stack enough wood to last for more than a couple of winters at a time nor store gasoline/diesel or other stuff on-site. Of course, my "practical" may be your "nutcase" and vice-versa.

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
Manny
Local Moderator

'06 MTS 1000ds S - sexier than ever

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 01:30:10 PM »

Those people are a little nutso, but it seems to be catching. Hell, even my parents said that the next time I sell a gun they want to buy it. They feel that because of the economy the have-nots will be targeting the comfortables out of fear and spite (my parents are not wealthy, by any means, but live in a decent neighborhood).
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 01:38:24 PM »

There are a bunch of people in China right now who wish they had a bunch of wood to burn, or spare rations to last for a few weeks, or alternate sources of fuel and energy.

Maybe they say it's for the coming energy crisis, but if there was a massive earthquake here, I'd love to have a bunch of wood, a few dozen LPG canisters, long term food supply, a fresh water source and a bunch of guns & ammo around.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »

Just find some  dead bodies and CANNABILIZE THEM!!!!!  coffee flesh and tea.  chug cheers!

Personally, as a NYC resident, there would need to be a zombie crisis for anyone person to own a firearm (for the sake of having one).
And what would i eat? Squirrels and city pigeons, of course that is after THE FLESH OF A THOUSAND MEN! muahaha

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
MuscovyDuc

02' M750I.E. Dark - (pearl white)

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 02:04:42 PM »

Kinda of reminds me of the movie "The Postman"

I'm a deck builder maybe I can raise up an army and try to kill a postman? Anythings possible

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 02:23:05 PM »

Just find some  dead bodies and CANNABILIZE THEM!!!!!  coffee flesh and tea.  chug cheers!

Personally, as a NYC resident, there would need to be a zombie crisis for anyone person to own a firearm (for the sake of having one).
And what would i eat? Squirrels and city pigeons, of course that is after THE FLESH OF A THOUSAND MEN! muahaha

I guess you didn't live in NYC during the blackout.  It was pretty scary for a while.  My building was broken into, fortunately the building sup lived there and was sitting in the hallway with a shotgun at the time. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
MendoDave
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »

Oh we are defenitly heading for a big crisis. its going to affect everyone. The rich and the poor.
gojira

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 05:41:06 AM »

Idiots...don't they know that I will drive up in my Prius mounted  with dual 50 caliber MGs and steal everything they have.  laughingdp

laughingdp

P.S. There's so much GRATITUDE in that sig of yours.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: