Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 11:32:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Accident on today's ride  (Read 8377 times)
Smitch

only thing whiter is my skin!

« on: June 01, 2008, 07:47:18 PM »

Well today's ride went from bad to worse.  Started out getting stuck sharing Hwy 105 with 300 bicyclists going up to Automezzi in Denver.

But that was nothing compared to what happened coming back through Deckers.  A guest rider and friend of Walter (Ducati900sp on this forum), Cory (I didn't get his last name) on a Ninja 500, went in too hot on a left hander about 5 miles from Deckers on the way back to Woodland Park.  I'd seen him go around a corner in front of me, and then huge puffs of dirt being kicked up in the bushes off the road when I came around.

I was lucky I saw those puffs of dirt, otherwise we might not have even known he went down.  We immediately pulled over, and heroicly, Mike and Christy Riggs, President Larry (who had been way out in front, but miraculously had a feeling something bad had happened), and Dave and Holland rushed to find Cory in the tall brush while I rode back to Deckers to phone 911.  I got back, and luckily an ER surgeon was passing by in his car and pulled over to help.  He told me Cory had a broken femur which would require surgery, but that he should be okay in the long run.

Ambulance came, and then flight for life helicopter landed in the middle of the road to get Cory to the nearest hospital as fast as possible.  Several fellow riders stopped to help as well.

That's all I know up til now.  It was getting late, and the situation made me want to get home to my family after he'd been air lifted. If anyone of you has any updates on Cory, please post up.  On a personal note, this kind of thing makes you take stock in what's really important.  Cory's screams of agony coming from the brush shook me pretty bad.  Admittedly, I 'm a wimp with a weak stomach and I stayed up at roadside while the real heroes got down and dirty with the injured rider.

On a postive note, we had a great turn out for the ride, which meant we had lots of talented people on hand to help when things went south. 

Prayers for Cory...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:51:58 PM by Smitch » Logged
Scottish
Balls!

That's thinkin' with your dipstick Jimmy!

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:11:28 PM »

Prayers are with our injured rider, speedy recovery for him.  Cry

You can thank a soldier today, just click the link...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:25:28 PM »

Sorry to hear the news.

Good vibes headed Cory's way.

Heffay

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 05:17:21 AM »

heal well, fallen one.

a buddy of mine lost his leg in a riding accident while we were at MMI... he had a brand new carbon fiber foot especially for riding about 3 months later. 

ride fast, heal fast, ride faster...

1973 cb350f cafe, 1975/77 cb400f race project,
1992 zx7r
Smitch

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 05:34:25 AM »

Got an update, Cory was flown to Denver and surgery on his femur was complete.  They were waiting on another surgeon to repair damage to arteries. 

roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 06:20:46 AM »

Damn, I hope he is ok.  Sad

As a group, we seem to be going through a bit of black patch accident-wise.... here's to hoping that that is the last of the accidents for a long, long time.

cooleye

Ciao

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 07:55:47 AM »

Yea, I hope Corey heals soon. Too bad about the accident, and hope we all stay much safer the coming rides.

I was supposed to go (in my leathers and ready to go), but at the last minute I decided not to. Sorry, I did not make the ride, but maybe next time.
Smitch

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 10:01:50 AM »

Wow Cooleye, did you just get a gut feeling or something?  I've learned to trust those.

Besides the accident, we had a couple scary moments in Denver traffic as well, trying to switch lanes as a large column of 11 motorcycles.

We had two groups, a fast and slow one, which worked well on the mountain roads.  But all staying together in town was tough.  We did it that way because not everybody knew how to get where we were going. 

I know this can't be a hard and fast rule, but in the future I think it'd be best if as many people know the route as possible.
cooleye

Ciao

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 10:53:32 AM »

Wow Cooleye, did you just get a gut feeling or something?  I've learned to trust those.

Besides the accident, we had a couple scary moments in Denver traffic as well, trying to switch lanes as a large column of 11 motorcycles.

We had two groups, a fast and slow one, which worked well on the mountain roads.  But all staying together in town was tough.  We did it that way because not everybody knew how to get where we were going. 

I know this can't be a hard and fast rule, but in the future I think it'd be best if as many people know the route as possible.

Yea, my gut told me my wife was pissed I had been gone all day to Denver on Friday, had a wedding photography shoot all day Saturday, and was going to leave for most the day on Sunday! Grin so my gut told me to stay and do husbandly duties!!!! And I was running late....I was in my leathers at 8:55, and still needed to get up to Briargate.....so time and "pressure" kept me home!
cooleye

Ciao

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 10:55:34 AM »

I also agree....I ALWAYS print out and have my own directions with me for places I have never been. Just in case....or run a GPS..
ducducgooseme
Local Moderator

Same ole DesmoDevil, in a more gentle package

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 02:15:36 PM »

Heal up!

sad to see so many wrecks in the last year.  Group rides just aren't for me.  People always seem to push themselves over their limits. 

ride safe!

If you love your bike, set it free.
If it comes back to you, you've
probably high-sided.
Ducati900sp

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 03:10:54 PM »

Just got an update from Corey's girlfriend (April). He had 2 separate surgeries last night. The first was to put the femur back together using a plate and the second was to repair the arterial damage. He's doing good...the doctor said he has a long road of recovery and rehabilitation...about 14 weeks.

April said that she will catch up with me tomorrow in greater detail (was late for class). Looks like he will be home either Thursday or Friday. I'll also get the number to reach him at the hospital...if it's ok with him I'll post it here for whom ever wants to give him a ring.

I just wanted to thank all of the riders yesterday in their help and support of Corey. I couldn't ask for a better bunch of guys and gals to be riding with and I think I speak for Corey and his family as well. Thanks again!

DUCATI-CAMPIONE DEL MONDO SUPERBIKE
bonez

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 06:04:33 PM »

walter let us know if cory needs help.
brett

Brett Jones
00' mv agusta 750 f4, 05' 749 dark, 07' triumph daytona 675
Gringo 999

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 06:47:14 PM »

Talked to Walt this evening.  All we know is that Cory is stable, expected to be released from Denver by week's end.  Good news.  However, bad news is a 14 week recovery.  I would like to organize an event or two or three for Cory.  It's going to be a long road to recovery for him.  Fortunately, I believe that his leg is safe.  I was very worried at the accident site as he lost circulation.  Damn lucky that a) we found him down in the ravine and 2) that a Doc happened by. 

Lots of lessons to be learned off of this accident, but I want to thank some special folks yesterday.  David, Holland and Smitch for coming to his immediate rescue.  Thank God you guys stopped.  Smitch for riding back to Deckers to call 911.  Dave and Holland for rendering first aid and assisting the EMT and Paramedics through the rescue.  All the guys from EMT, Rescue from Woodland Park and LifeFlight for being professional lifesavers.  Good to know that we have the most professional rescue services on the planet right here in Colorado. 

Larry Dotson, aka "Il Duce"
2004 Red and White 999 Superbike (Biposto)
MRA # 196 - 2001 GSXR 750
ducducgooseme
Local Moderator

Same ole DesmoDevil, in a more gentle package

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 08:17:06 PM »

Good to hear he is doing well!!

Super that my gang at Northeast Teller Fire did well.  I was a fire fighter medic for a few years with them.  Good crew!

If you love your bike, set it free.
If it comes back to you, you've
probably high-sided.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: