Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 28, 2024, 01:20:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 584   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GUN STUFF  (Read 842025 times)
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #3795 on: August 24, 2012, 09:07:16 AM »

I've got Trijicon Reflex II and Aimpoint red dots on AR platforms but I also have recently bought two Leupold AR .223 BDC scopes and really like them. I have a 3x9 on a 16" barrel semi auto M4 and mounted the 4x12 scope on a Rem 700. Both have mil-dot reticles.

Have a good friend that just recently got a Nikon M-223 AR 1-4X20 scope with "point blank reticle" on his AR flat top and he really likes it. I've shot it and I like it too! waytogo It's a BDC scope also.

It's nice to have the option of BUIS, red dot or a scope on an AR... but I am partial to the Leupolds I bought. Can't go wrong with any name brand scope. My 2 cents. Grin

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
Cicero

« Reply #3796 on: August 24, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »

Does anyone have the Speer #14 reloading manual? I am looking for the load data for the Speer 125 gr JSHP (#4013) in .38 and .357 mag.  My older manuals dont have the data for the HP-38 and Titegroup I currently have been using.

Thanks.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #3797 on: August 24, 2012, 08:32:52 PM »

Maybe here

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=39943.msg711681#msg711681

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Cicero

« Reply #3798 on: August 25, 2012, 05:14:40 AM »

searching reloading data only results in my post  Tongue

I figured a couple people would roll their own here.
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #3799 on: August 25, 2012, 05:18:01 AM »

You could try calling speer.  They should be able to give you data over the phone, right?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3800 on: August 25, 2012, 05:22:13 AM »

I reload, but only for 9 and .223.

The Hodgdon data doesn't list any Speer bullets and the only 125 gr is an xtp.  http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I'd think that if you start at the lowest suggested load and work up watching for pressure signs you'd be OK.

Do you have a chrono?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Cicero

« Reply #3801 on: August 25, 2012, 05:33:30 AM »

not yet, I just got into it.

I had loaded 5 rds doing exactly that, 4.3 grs of hp-38 and titegroup (10 rounds total) to go test at the range today. Those are min loads far a 125 gr jshp in both my older hodgdon and speer manuals. I was doing some googling later on and was looking for target performance on the round, and saw gun forums with warnings that in speer #14 this particular bullet has a do not download warning with hp-38 and titegroup. The charges vary from site to site and are a bit higher than my older load data.

I was hoping someone here actually had the manual and wouldn't mind looking up the data real quick for me 
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3802 on: August 25, 2012, 05:40:09 AM »

not yet, I just got into it.

I had loaded 5 rds doing exactly that, 4.3 grs of hp-38 and titegroup (10 rounds total) to go test at the range today. Those are min loads far a 125 gr jshp in both my older hodgdon and speer manuals. I was doing some googling later on and was looking for target performance on the round, and saw gun forums with warnings that in speer #14 this particular bullet has a do not download warning with hp-38 and titegroup. The charges vary from site to site and are a bit higher than my older load data.

I was hoping someone here actually had the manual and wouldn't mind looking up the data real quick for me 
I would if I had it.

I think you'll be fine with the online data, but calling Speer like ML suggests isn't a bad idea.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Cicero

« Reply #3803 on: August 25, 2012, 05:45:33 AM »

Ill give that a try, hopefully someone will chime in with the data.

I guess I'm shooting lead wadcutters today instead.... oh darn.  laughingdp

ducrider45

Just Ride!

« Reply #3804 on: August 25, 2012, 12:34:08 PM »

So I cut out of work a bit early yesterday and got to check another item off the list! Grin

See the video clip with the link above.

This is my first shot ever with a .50 BMG! It was not as bad as I thought it might be. Im 250lbs and it still pushed me back a bit. I took 5 shots total. I hit a small yellow squash (the size of a 12oz can) at 400 yards on my first try. I missed my last shot (just high), the target (bowling pin) still fell though.

Here is a .50 AE shell (shot from my Desert Eagle) next to the .50 BMG. The rifle we used is in the background.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:58:51 PM by ducrider45 » Logged

Cop: "That thing is so nasty I can't bring myself to write you a ticket."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
 those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
 Thomas Jefferson

Washington D.C. area riders check out CAM on the local boards.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #3805 on: August 25, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »

Big boom Cheesy

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #3806 on: August 26, 2012, 03:01:46 PM »

Haven't been to the range in about a year so today I grabbed my sr9c and went.

I had the place to myself just like always and blew through 200 rounds in 45 minutes.

Had a great time and really didn't do too bad. I figure if I can keep my shots in an 8" target from 20' or less then I can toast anyone that gets into my house.

One thing I tried that I had not previously was one shot with a fast followup shot (double tap)

Tried that twice on 2 fresh targets from probably 10'  The first attempt had the first shot 1" under the bulls eye and the second shot keyholes the first. The second try wasn't as good but both shot were at least within the 8" ring.

A couple of questions. I have big hands. What should I be doing with my thumbs?  I've been in the habit of gripping the gun with my rights hand, gripping that hand with my left (push pull kind of thing)   if I put my left thumb against the takedown pin its really comfortable but I have to put my thumb (left one) back there after each shot. 

If I switch and lay my right thumb against the frame and my left over that (sort of inline) is way less comfortable but they mostly stay in place with each shot.

Question 2. How clean is clean?  I use a brass brush on the barrel a few times and then use that brush to push a cotton patch soaked with eezox through the bore.

The bore looks beautiful after a couple of runs through with the patch. However, there is still dirt on the patch. I ran about 15 of them through and while the dirt was really diminished there was still some there.

I get the feeling I could have put another 15 or 20 patches through it and not been totally clean. At what point do you stop?  Or do I need stronger cleaning chemicals?

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #3807 on: August 26, 2012, 03:08:32 PM »

I have big hands. What should I be doing with my thumbs?  I've been in the habit of gripping the gun with my rights hand, gripping that hand with my left (push pull kind of thing)   if I put my left thumb against the takedown pin its really comfortable but I have to put my thumb (left one) back there after each shot.  

If I switch and lay my right thumb against the frame and my left over that (sort of inline) is way less comfortable but they mostly stay in place with each shot.

Starting around 1:05
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:11:08 PM by DRKWNG » Logged

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3808 on: August 26, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »

Haven't been to the range in about a year so today I grabbed my sr9c and went.

I had the place to myself just like always and blew through 200 rounds in 45 minutes.

Had a great time and really didn't do too bad. I figure if I can keep my shots in an 8" target from 20' or less then I can toast anyone that gets into my house.

One thing I tried that I had not previously was one shot with a fast followup shot (double tap)

Tried that twice on 2 fresh targets from probably 10'  The first attempt had the first shot 1" under the bulls eye and the second shot keyholes the first. The second try wasn't as good but both shot were at least within the 8" ring.

A couple of questions. I have big hands. What should I be doing with my thumbs?  I've been in the habit of gripping the gun with my rights hand, gripping that hand with my left (push pull kind of thing)   if I put my left thumb against the takedown pin its really comfortable but I have to put my thumb (left one) back there after each shot. 

Question 2. How clean is clean?  I use a brass brush on the barrel a few times and then use that brush to push a cotton patch soaked with eezox through the bore.

The bore looks beautiful after a couple of runs through with the patch. However, there is still dirt on the patch. I ran about 15 of them through and while the dirt was really diminished there was still some there.

I get the feeling I could have put another 15 or 20 patches through it and not been totally clean. At what point do you stop?  Or do I need stronger cleaning chemicals?
If you don't have any leading, or copper fouling and your groups are reasonable for the gun and ammo...

it's clean enough. Wink

perspective

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #3809 on: August 26, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »

Starting around 1:05

bow down

Re what he says about the thumbs, I'm doing that but the support hand thumb doesn't seem to stay in place.

Good video, I picked up some things.

If you don't have any leading, or copper fouling and your groups are reasonable for the gun and ammo...

it's clean enough. Wink

Its never had copper through it and groups are as good as good as the operator can make them so ill call it good enough.

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 584   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: