Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 28, 2024, 01:22:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 584   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GUN STUFF  (Read 842031 times)
metallimonster

« Reply #3870 on: September 28, 2012, 06:53:31 AM »

So I've finally got the green light by the decision maker to get a gun.  I really only want to buy one gun and think I've found the one.  I've searched but didn't see much on them so I'll ask.

Anyone have experience with the Springfield Xdm line? Local gun store is running a sale for $75 off of them.  From the research i've done they seem to be very relieable and easy to shoot (and shoot well).  They also come with a bunch of extras and I really won't have to buy much other than ammo. I'm planning on getting the 3.8 non-compact (not going to carry it) in 9mm.  Really I'm only getting this for target shooting, some home defense, and to just have a gun in case the shit hits the fan. The 20 round capacity is very appealing to me.

I'm really new to gun owning so hopefully you guys can shed some light for me.

Wherever I May Roam, Where I Lay My Head Is Home
02 620 Dark- High Mount CF Arrows
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #3871 on: September 28, 2012, 07:18:50 AM »

Sounds good to me. waytogo Reserve $$$ for ammo and magazines. Guns don't run without "gas"... duh! bang head Not going into politics here (no way) but I have advised all of my friends to buy ammo at whatever decent price they can find. It would probably be "easier" to pass ammo restriction laws than gun restriction laws. No further discussion please. Just stating my personal opinion. Let's leave it at that. Wink

Back on target... Springfield makes excellent firearms and 9mm is a great, easy to find and affordable round. What's not to like? bacon chug

In my house she is referred to as "she who must be obeyed"... that's a notch above the "decision maker". laughingdp laughingdp
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:27:21 AM by fastwin » Logged

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
stateprez

« Reply #3872 on: September 28, 2012, 07:36:42 AM »

So I've finally got the green light by the decision maker to get a gun.  I really only want to buy one gun and think I've found the one.  I've searched but didn't see much on them so I'll ask.

Anyone have experience with the Springfield Xdm line? Local gun store is running a sale for $75 off of them.  From the research i've done they seem to be very relieable and easy to shoot (and shoot well).  They also come with a bunch of extras and I really won't have to buy much other than ammo. I'm planning on getting the 3.8 non-compact (not going to carry it) in 9mm.  Really I'm only getting this for target shooting, some home defense, and to just have a gun in case the shit hits the fan. The 20 round capacity is very appealing to me.

I'm really new to gun owning so hopefully you guys can shed some light for me.
My bro in-law has one in 9mm- runs well.  I like the backstrap safety.  If your store/another local store has a range and rental program, go shoot a few- Glock, Sig, 1911, etc to get a feel for what is out there. 

I recently got on the Glock bandwagon from HK, and Kimber before that.  For 9mm target shooting only I'd jump on a G34 and be done with it.  Parts and upgrades are relatively cheap and plentiful.

About to take my mother to demo and hopefully purchase her first....probably Ruger.  Wife is the next recruit.

'03 999 Mono
fastwin

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #3873 on: September 28, 2012, 07:54:14 AM »

I love my Glock 34! I had a spare NIB 34 that I sold to one of my best friend's mid-20s sons. He loved my 34 and I cut him a great deal on it. I didn't need two 34s. He loves it too and now that he's married I'm thinking about getting him a set of Hennie Straight 8 night sights for a wedding present. That's what is on my 34 and I know his wife would approve! waytogo applause

Not exactly a good carry gun (no more than a 5" 1911) but just a great all around gun, with Glock reliablity and affordable 9mm ammo to boot. Wink

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Goat_Herder

« Reply #3874 on: September 28, 2012, 09:01:42 AM »

Pretty neat how the gasses twist over on the left

Not sure if it's the gas twisting the water or the bullet spinning, creating the lines in the bubble. 

Goat Herder (Tony)
2003 Ducati Monster 620 - Yellow SOLD
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Black KILLED
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Red
brix821

« Reply #3875 on: September 28, 2012, 09:07:26 AM »

I have the regular XD (4inch) in 9mm. Its a great gun, and out of the 7 or 8 pistols I shot before purchasing it felt the best in my hands and shot the best.  Go to a range and try a bunch out!  I have not had any problems with my XD.  You may also wanna check out www.xdtalk.com

GUNS OF BRIXTON
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #3876 on: September 28, 2012, 10:05:16 AM »

Not sure if it's the gas twisting the water or the bullet spinning, creating the lines in the bubble. 

it's the gas.  the projectile only makes a small path, no different than if you shot into the water from the shore.

the shape is the same as the flame plume you'd see from some firearms.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
stateprez

« Reply #3877 on: September 28, 2012, 11:58:31 AM »

Jinxed myself posting about the Sub 2k- one followed me home from the range today.  Sights aren't the best, but they work.  Had a 17rd mag with it also.

'03 999 Mono
fastwin

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #3878 on: September 28, 2012, 12:53:17 PM »

That's no jinx... that's a win! waytogo

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #3879 on: September 28, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »

Jinxed myself posting about the Sub 2k- one followed me home from the range today.  Sights aren't the best, but they work.  Had a 17rd mag with it also.

I used to have an SKS as a truck gun.  When the Keltec SU16 came out, I thought to swap to that. I'd rather have a rifle caliber gun for that.

Of course, now I have no truck, so I stow a Serbu in the back of the Golf.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
stateprez

« Reply #3880 on: September 28, 2012, 08:51:30 PM »

I used to have an SKS as a truck gun.  When the Keltec SU16 came out, I thought to swap to that. I'd rather have a rifle caliber gun for that.

Of course, now I have no truck, so I stow a Serbu in the back of the Golf.
Which Serbu do you have?  Super Shorty?

Hickok must read the Gun Thread...posted a 7.62 Tok Video while we were talking about it:
Tokarev 7.62 x 25

'03 999 Mono
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #3881 on: September 29, 2012, 04:07:41 AM »

Which Serbu do you have?  Super Shorty?

Hickok must read the Gun Thread...posted a 7.62 Tok Video while we were talking about it:
Tokarev 7.62 x 25

No, it's a 14" entry type.  THey used to have several and now just that super shorty thing, which is useless unless you use minishells.

derby

« Reply #3882 on: October 01, 2012, 06:59:57 AM »

Pretty neat how the gasses twist over on the left

now with video:

http://www.geekologie.com/2012/10/what-it-looks-when-you-shoot-a-gun-under.php

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #3883 on: October 01, 2012, 07:16:12 AM »

Comments LOL

BillGatesIsYourDaddy • 32 minutes ago

so the bullet only travels about 3 feet out. get someone to dress like Superman and have them stand in front of it next time.

metallimonster

« Reply #3884 on: October 01, 2012, 08:43:48 AM »

So thanks for the imput guys.  You basically confirmed what I already knew.

I went after work Friday and picked up my new friend. 

XDM 3.8 9mm

Didn't get to shoot it this weekend but will for sure next.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Wherever I May Roam, Where I Lay My Head Is Home
02 620 Dark- High Mount CF Arrows
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 584   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: