Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 01:02:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Riding from Plano, TX =)  (Read 22044 times)
Jasens Deli

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2011, 06:49:12 AM »

I can already see how addicting modding your bike and buying new gear is gonna be!

Does the S2R have a metal tank or plastic one?  I've read about the bulging tank issue.  Does anyone with a 696/796 or any other model that has the plastic tank have experience in dealing with the dealer on replacing their bulged tank?

I've heard it's cheaper to replace the plastic tank on the 696/796 now because you basically just replace the plastic cover as opposed to having to buy a full metal tank if it gets dented.  Marty at AMS also mentioned that I can purchase something (forgot what it's called) that sticks out the two sides of the bike to minimize the damage caused to the frame, tank, etc. if the bike is dropped or laid down.  Does anyone have those installed on their bike and what are your opinions of it?

Thanks fellas!  Gonna stop by Moto Liberty at lunch again today for their St. Patty's Day event.  I'm gonna need to exercise a lot of self-control with this hobby, I think...  waytogo
andym

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2011, 07:15:59 AM »

Hi Jasen,

I have a 696. As you said the new monsters have covers that fit over the plastic tank, I do not know of any real issues with the tank or covers, my monster logo pealed off and AMS replaced the cover under warranty.

They make complete sets of replacement covers for tank, mudguard, nose fairing and seat so you can easily change the look of your bike.

http://www.ducati.com/monster_art/colour_schemes.do

Marty was talking about sliders, I do not have them but I understand they do the job they are made for, with the monster being naked they are easy to fit and you would not have to cut into any fairing.

The 696 is a great bike, I have had mine for almost 3 years, ride it everyday to work and still get there with a grin on my face.  [moto]

M696 Dark
Jasens Deli

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2011, 08:35:23 AM »

Hi Jasen,

I have a 696. As you said the new monsters have covers that fit over the plastic tank, I do not know of any real issues with the tank or covers, my monster logo pealed off and AMS replaced the cover under warranty.

They make complete sets of replacement covers for tank, mudguard, nose fairing and seat so you can easily change the look of your bike.

http://www.ducati.com/monster_art/colour_schemes.do

Marty was talking about sliders, I do not have them but I understand they do the job they are made for, with the monster being naked they are easy to fit and you would not have to cut into any fairing.

The 696 is a great bike, I have had mine for almost 3 years, ride it everyday to work and still get there with a grin on my face.  [moto]

That's awesome to hear, Andy!  How many miles have you put on the bike and how has it held up for you?  Have you had to deal with any mechanical issues with the bike since you ride it so often?
andym

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2011, 09:00:53 AM »

I am just coming up for the 15000 miles service.

The bike is great, only issues have been the tank stickers, mirrors falling off (replaced under warranty with new design, will not happen on new bike) and she cut out a few times when it got cold (696's run lean to pass euro emission tests), AMS made some adjustments and she has been fine for 18 months.

I replaced the front sprocket with 14 tooth one, this helps with pickup in the lower rev range, ie pulling away from a stand still. I also put on the termies, this makes her run a bit smoother and sounds great.

M696 Dark
muskrat

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 02:05:59 PM »

those things are called frame sliders and are sold by just about every board sponsor (look left) and motivation out of austin. I've bought tons of stuff from Jeff at Monsterparts and he's been great. 
So, what are you leaning towards anyway? 

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
system error

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »

I put frame sliders on Mindy's bike, easy enough to do.  While mine is a 695 I just had the tank replaced through AMS with zero problems.   

+1 to Jeff at Monsterparts too.  waytogo  He's always happy to talk shop and answer questions.

'13 Multistrada 1200
Fiat 500

My God, it's full of stars!
Jasens Deli

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2011, 08:22:32 AM »

Thanks for the clarification, everyone!

And as for what bike I'm really looking for now, I believe I'm set on going for a 696 with the Termi exhaust + ECU.  Please let me know if you have any friends who are looking to sell theirs or if you come across one online.  If not, hopefully I can get a decent deal for a new one at AMS.

Thanks again for all of your welcomes and advice.

BTW, I ended up picking up an ICON Alliance Tyranny helmet over at Moto Liberty yesterday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33586272@N02/5537711530/#

Would really like a Bell Star Cerwinske Carbon or Arai RX-Q, but I think the ICON is a good one to start with.

Do ya'll have any recommendations on jackets?  I'd like a jacket (or oversuit) I can wear over my work clothes that has an ample amount of protection, but isn't too heavy to where you can't wear it in the Texas heat.  I was thinking about checking out the Alpinestars GP Pro Leather Jacket or Ducati Corse Leather Jacket (eeek, $$$!) by Dianese.  Is Rev It any good?  I'd love any other suggestions y'all have on jackets and gloves.

Thanks everyone,

Jasen
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:28:28 AM by Jasens Deli » Logged
CajunR

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2011, 09:34:14 AM »

I picked up a Joe Rocket Reactor 2.0 jacket a few weeks ago, and I really like it.  It flows a ton of air and is very comfortable: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/402/ITEM/Joe-Rocket-Reactor-2-0-Jacket.aspx

For gloves, I abso-freaking-lutely LOVE my Alpinestars GP Plus mits.  When they die, I'm getting another pair!  http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/37/19748/ITEM/Alpinestars-GP-Plus-Gloves.aspx

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
muskrat

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2011, 12:00:14 PM »

Rev'it is awesome stuff IMO.  Good luck finding that "summer" jacket because when you're stuck in traffic you will sweat like hell.  I do have one you can try on and if it fits you can have it for $30 bucks.  It has shoulder, elbow pads you only need to buy the back protector.  Let me know but here's a suggestion also:
http://www.motoliberty.com/prod_detail.asp?Prod_ID=147&ImgId=535
or
http://www.revzilla.com/product/dainese-air-2-textile-jacket

and did you look into the 796?

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2011, 12:45:21 PM »

Vanson Vent Max for those 90+ degree days stuck in afternoon traffic. I also keep a water bladder in the tank bag to sip on while riding in the summer.  waytogo
Jester

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »

I typically ride textile in the summer and lighter perforated gloves, but even with an air flowing textile jacket, you'll be sweating balls.  There is simply no way around it in the Texas heat.  July/August are arguably non riding months as the heat is almost miserable enough to keep you off the bike.  Most of the riders I see out during those months are squids with a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops.  Its the only way to stay cool, so that's why I call them non riding months.  At least you won't have to deal with blazing exhaust pipes under your seat like the sbks.  Speaking of which, I've actually had to modify my foot position on my right side peg due to my exhaust catching three ( yes three ) set of jeans on fire. 

I hopped off the bike once and walked into a 7-Eleven and started smelling smoke.  Looked down and my jeans were burning.  It was funny, but I'm pissed about the jeans.  I never had that problem with the stock pipes.  The Termi's are fatter and sit a little farther out than stock, so if I keep my leg wrapped on the bike, sometimes the jeans would flap into the pipe area and light up.

This is another reason why I like my duck.  Hell the pipes on my S2R melted my boots.  Maybe this stuff is just me and my riding style.   waytogo

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
Ronr

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »

Ha, I've never caught my pants on fire!  laughingdp

When it's really hot outside, I've worn some lowrider boots that exposed the skin on my lower leg.  It roasted my leg.  I tried to rotate my heel out from the bike, but the radiation heat was really bad.  I try to wear long socks so there is no exposed skin near the pipe.
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2011, 03:26:15 PM »

Holy crap, we have some seriously hardcore Ducatiisti  Shocked  Screw the lame Corse Shield tattoo - go for the Termi calf "brand" instead   bow down

As far as jackets go, Fieldsheer mesh all the way.  Good price point, lots of hard armor in all the right places, and the stuff lasts.  My first set of riding clothes was a Fieldsheer 2-piece mesh suit.  Bought it in early '05 from MotoLiberty and still have 'em.  I've also had good service from Joe Rocket stuff as well.  A bit more pricey but well made.

And I'll totally in agreement on the Alpinstar gloves; I've had two pair of GP3 leather gauntlet gloves that I LOVE!  Nice and soft new so you're not spending months breaking them in.  I eventually wore a hole in the thumb of the first set after a couple of years; just replaced that set with a new pair.  MotoLiberty has gloves like this for under 60 bucks.   
Jester

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2011, 08:47:35 AM »

+1 on what Lisa said.  I think we both wear a similar Fieldsheer jacket in the summer.  It flows air great.  I too wear Alpine Stars gloves and have always thought they were well made and comfy. ( My track/colder weather gloves are AStars, my summer gloves are actually Fieldsheer ).

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
CajunR

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »

And +1,000,000 on carrying a Camelbak, Hydrapak, or any other water bladder with some cold H2O in the summer months.  It is BRUTAL out there.  I commute the whole summer, and it gets pretty vicious once it's over 95 or so.  I carry a Platypus Hoser (http://www.amazon.com/Hoser-Hydration-Bladder-by-Platypus/dp/B0014BLUSU) in an Ogio backpack.  The secret is to think cold thoughts, and drink water at every stop light.  waytogo

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: