Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 12, 2024, 08:25:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're too stupid to... own a diesel small truck  (Read 250039 times)
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2011, 09:31:04 AM »

Here is a fuel cost comparison:

Gasoline   Diesel   MPG   MPG   Cost per 100 Miles   Cost per 100 Miles
Price   Price   Gasoline   Diesel   Gasoline Vehicle   Diesel Vehicle

$2.80   $3.90     20     28   $14.00                  $13.93

Since the initial cost of the diesel engine and the repair costs are higher
than the gas counterpart, the manufacturers might doubt the success of a diesel vehicle
in the US. If Diesel would be close to the gasoline cost like in Europe, it would be a whole different ball game.
Drunken Monkey
Scooter-Trash
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »

If Diesel would be close to the gasoline cost like in Europe, it would be a whole different ball game.

This.

Hell, they are converting small aircraft in Europe to run off Diesel and engine conversions on light aircraft ain't exactly cheap. But without the similar prices per gallon (here) the economy of the whole thing doesn't make sense (here)

I own several motorcycles. I have owned lots of motorcycles. And have bolted and/or modified lots of crap to said motorcycles...
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2011, 05:07:21 AM »

Here is a fuel cost comparison:

Gasoline   Diesel   MPG   MPG   Cost per 100 Miles   Cost per 100 Miles
Price   Price   Gasoline   Diesel   Gasoline Vehicle   Diesel Vehicle

$2.80   $3.90     20     28   $14.00                  $13.93

Since the initial cost of the diesel engine and the repair costs are higher
than the gas counterpart, the manufacturers might doubt the success of a diesel vehicle
in the US. If Diesel would be close to the gasoline cost like in Europe, it would be a whole different ball game.

The cost of the fuel is largely due to two things:  taxation and the lower distribution of diesel.

Diesel taxes are about 50% higher at the Federal level and anywhere from 30 to 100% higher at the state level.  The rationale is that diesel is a "commercial" fuel, so the relevant authorities don't feel bad about taxing it higher. 

Secondly, the distribution is not as wide spread as gasoline.  If it were, you'd see a reduction in the per-gallon cost due to the market and more companies making it -- not all refineries make diesel, believe it or not.

The reason that the cars are more expensive is two-fold.  For one, the engines last longer so the dealer charges a small premium knowing your car is going to last longer.  Two, again, the free market.  If there were more diesels sold, competition and choice would drive the market down.

Diesels are a premium choice now-- look at the price of a USED diesel Jeep Liberty vs the price of the same model with a gas engine.  Same with the VW diesels.  People are willing to pay more for them.

This.

Hell, they are converting small aircraft in Europe to run off Diesel and engine conversions on light aircraft ain't exactly cheap. But without the similar prices per gallon (here) the economy of the whole thing doesn't make sense (here)

I can't even imagine a diesel small plane engine.  That's pretty amazing. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2011, 11:50:39 AM »

Didn't know where else to post this. This seems like a good spot. Just picture Homer Simpson saying his famous "Doh!" line...

http://www.wfaa.com/news/national/135996678.html

Hope it's not a derby.

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »

lol

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2011, 12:49:27 PM »

lol
hence the thread name change  laughingdp

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2011, 01:58:37 PM »

3500?  Out some liability on it lol.. or buy a house with the earnings

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2011, 09:46:29 PM »

I don't get the difficulty in working with diesels, that is I don't quite understand what's so foreign about them. Gassers have spark ignition, diesels have compression ignition. Other than a few minor details, same concept. If you want to call yourself a tech, your expertise can't just shut off or hit a wall when you get faced with a diesel engine therefore I'm not buying it. It's literally a matter of having all the special tools, period.

I have a Merc turbodiesel wagon from 1985 with ~450k or so, still runs like a Swiss watch with excellent compression in all 5 pots. Easy to service, easy to live with. Old-skool indirect injection gets me about 30mpg consistently. Unbelieveably solid & well made. Unmistakeable sound. Best car I have ever had, keeps on truckin', and actually shows well despite the age & miles. Got it free from my father. I grew up riding in it. Needless to say, I am an expert in its maintenance & repair. These cars were actually made for the owner to service him or herself. They do not ride like antiques. They drive and ride better than most brand new autos, tight and smooth. Four wheel independent suspension with discs on all four corners. Door beams, crumple zones, breakaway interior bits. Handles awesome for a heavy car. Zero to 60 in 12 secs, cruises at 100 all day without complaint. Chicks dig it. 

I hit a deer at 90mph with this car, it ended up on its right side in the median. Myself and the some others tipped it back over onto its wheels, I changed a tire and a fuse and drove it another 500 miles. Damage was very minimal obviously, but far exceeded the value of the car. I did the right thing and got it fixed properly anyway. You don't trash a quality piece of hardware like that over a few scratches  Cheesy

If you can score an old Benz oilburner you will understand what makes them the Greatest Car In The World. Only complaint I have would be the automatic climate control, it sucks. They should have just fitted the manual control from the Euro cars, less hassle.

Diesels have a bad rap due to GM's wonderful Oldsmobile and Cadillac diesel disasters from the '80s. They were basically 350 small blocks fitted with injection pumps. No more thought and engineering went into them than that. You can't just do that and call it good LOL you have to use common sense and design a specific diesel engine. As a result they had a high rate of failure and public opinion tanked. They were horrible cars. Meanwhile Mercedes Benz & Volkswagen were making diesel vehicles that were economical and worth owning.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2011, 09:37:34 AM »

3500?  Out some liability on it lol.. or buy a house with the earnings

huh?

DucatiKabul

« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »

Agree with "Booger", Diesel engines are more long lasting and easier to maintain, less parts and more torque'y. I think the whole idea behind having more Deisel cars versus gas cars is the same as having Electric cars.  The thirstier your engine the happier the oil companies.
Toyota makes desiel cars in Europe that gets way better gas millage than their hybrid Prius here, in fact I have a Yaris HB in which I hit the 45.1 MPG on a trip back from East Coast just by driving 60 MPH, but Toyota only advertise 33 Highway MPG for this car because they dont want to hurt the market for their more profitable "iconic" Prius...
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2011, 10:08:30 AM »

no diesel is terrible, just terrible
My Golf is all the way down to 45-48mpg daily now that it's colder out and it's doing more regen cycles.  cheeky
Just terrible  Grin

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
DucatiKabul

« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2011, 10:09:38 AM »

One my all time favorites:
http://www.toyota.co.za/VehicleSpecification.aspx?VehicleModelID=29
Greg

« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »

Secondly, the distribution is not as wide spread as gasoline.  If it were, you'd see a reduction in the per-gallon cost due to the market and more companies making it -- not all refineries make diesel, believe it or not.

Diesel is readily available in practically all parts of the country, and while you might be accurate in saying not ALL refineries make diesel, most do, as it is easier to make than gasoline. In fact there is a LOT of diesel being exported from the US to Europe and South America right now.

Also be careful about comparing European mpg to US mpg, as an Imperial gallon is 25% bigger than a US gallon.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:42:01 AM by SA_S2R » Logged

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2011, 10:56:21 AM »

Out = put. Joke bout just putting liability on the lambing..

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2011, 12:11:23 PM »

Diesel is readily available in practically all parts of the country, and while you might be accurate in saying not ALL refineries make diesel, most do, as it is easier to make than gasoline. In fact there is a LOT of diesel being exported from the US to Europe and South America right now.

Also be careful about comparing European mpg to US mpg, as an Imperial gallon is 25% bigger than a US gallon.

20% but yes that is a concern, which is why we look at L per 100km usage rather than MPG

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: