Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 01:45:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're too stupid to... own a diesel small truck  (Read 236786 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »

This begs the question though... how hard would it be to obtain one of the diesel powerplants from the holden and retrofit it into a US built GM/Chevy?  I know importing the whole truck wouldn't work, bu the engine should be fine.

Importing an engine is the same as importing a car if you are putting it into a road car.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
WarrenJ

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »

I've got a Diesel Jeep Liberty - they made 10K of them in '05 and '06.  Great engine but less great transmission.  Have had ongoing issues with the tranny including a complete replacement.  On our way back from Wyoming last week, we blew a turbo hose, which led me to a great website that has a number of fixes for the power, transmission, reliability and mileage issues.  Applied the basic four fixes described and have more power and a measured 10% increase in mileage.  Wish I'd have known this stuff 80K miles ago!

One nice thing - this was the first time driving in the mountains in Wyoming on 8 to 10+% grades where I never ran out of power. 

I have no idea why they dont stuff these engines in lots of vehicles.  I'd love to have a Dodge Dakota with this little turbo diesel in it. 

Cruised at 105 with it for a few miles in Middle of Nowhere, Wyoming.   Grin

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 12:55:09 PM »

I'd rather have this.

If I could get one of those with AWD and a diesel I would dump my beloved F150 in a heartbeat.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
ZLTFUL
Mama said I would go blind if I kept playing with my

WWSDD? Why Anal of course!

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 01:14:56 PM »

Screw the trucks, I just want the Holden Commodore here in the States  Embarrassed

Avatar courtesy of www.mybadco.com
2012 Panigale 1199
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
bevel
She called it a

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »

Guess I'd have to import the bodywork  Grin

It's honestly the shape of the front end that bugs me on the Pontiac. The split grille, plus the hood scoops, just turn me off.

2003 SV650
Eventually I'll have a Ducati
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 06:13:01 PM »

Working for one of the manufacturers that has diesels elsewhere but not the states, I can tell you that there is a number of reasons why you can't get them here.

It's quite complicated.

Economies of scale (not practical to only build 10k diesel Tacomas out of 120k total - particularly since that segment continues to shrink), the ongoing (false) negative perception of diesels, diesel prices and limited diesel fuel refining capacity issues, emission requirements, cost to dealers for technician and sales consultant training, and primarily polytix, which are verboten here.

Honda was planning to bring a diesel car (Accord, I believe) here by now, but scrapped those plans when the economy tanked.

Personally, I'd love to see them here, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 06:19:26 PM »

After spending a month in Australia, I REALLY wonder what automakers in the US are thinking.  There are some AWESOME diesels available over there.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 08:37:17 PM »

Yup-I want a small diesel pickup. I have no need for a giant one, and the current small gas ones ain't gonna cut it.

Lameness.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Punx Clever
It never got strange enough for my

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 10:22:53 PM »

Importing an engine is the same as importing a car if you are putting it into a road car.

Who says I'm putting it in car? Perhaps I'm looking to see how the I4 turbo diesel will work driving an irrigation pump.   waytogo

2008 S2R 1000 - Archangel

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  - HST
Mother

Free Organic Individual

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 12:23:04 AM »

Whatever the trend is

It is affecting business

We're changing our entire fleet over to gas motors

It's madness

found my old skin suit
MikeZ

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 03:31:56 AM »

My business got away from diesels about 10 years ago for several reasons.  We run 3/4 ton utility body pick-ups and 3/4 ton vans.
1) Diesel started costing as much or more then unleaded gas.
2) Mileage isn't that much better then gas engines.
3) Nearly impossible to find a good diesel mechanic. We were constantly changing shops to try to find a good mechanic.
4) We keep trucks a long time and we can replace 2 gas motors for the cost of 1 diesel.

Was a pretty easy decision for us.

'03 M1000Sie (in need of a bath), '71 Honda CB500 (the Project), '10 Tiger (the tourer)
WarrenJ

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 04:53:59 AM »

Competent mechanics is a big issue with the Jeep Diesels.  Most dealerships are clueless on how to work on them.  I've taken mine in for an oilchange and they had to go to the store across the highway to get the oil.  (Mobil 1)

There really is no support for the jeep diesel engines.

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 05:26:45 AM »

Who says I'm putting it in car? Perhaps I'm looking to see how the I4 turbo diesel will work driving an irrigation pump.   waytogo

Doesn't matter.  It's an engine designed for use in a car. 

Then again, if you ship it marked as a lawnmower engine, who knows?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »

My business got away from diesels about 10 years ago for several reasons.  We run 3/4 ton utility body pick-ups and 3/4 ton vans.
1) Diesel started costing as much or more then unleaded gas.
2) Mileage isn't that much better then gas engines.
3) Nearly impossible to find a good diesel mechanic. We were constantly changing shops to try to find a good mechanic.
4) We keep trucks a long time and we can replace 2 gas motors for the cost of 1 diesel.

Was a pretty easy decision for us.

Local FD has both gas and diesel ambulances.

They report a 40% difference in diesel vs gas mileage in their fleet.  The speculation is that diesel uses a lot less fuel when they idle, which ambulances do a lot of when in use.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 05:30:53 AM »

Competent mechanics is a big issue with the Jeep Diesels.  Most dealerships are clueless on how to work on them.  I've taken mine in for an oilchange and they had to go to the store across the highway to get the oil.  (Mobil 1)

There really is no support for the jeep diesel engines.

That really speaks to the lack of skill by the mechanics (or unwillingness by the dealers to allow them to learn.)

Diesels aren't any more complicated than a modern gasoline engine.  The direct injection (gas) on our car looks pretty much the same as a diesel except the spark plugs.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: