Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 12, 2024, 06:25:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're too stupid to... own a diesel small truck  (Read 249998 times)
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #405 on: July 24, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »

only since late last year has the thai built colorado had the duramax

this was when the new shape was introduced

the old model and the current isuzu dmax has the isuzu motor

sadly i dont think you will see the isuzu in the USA ?

it gave me great pleasure seeing a mate buy the isuzu over the colorado
after the crap i had with holden service

Are the smaller Duramax engines designed or co-designed by Isuzu?  That'd work as well for me as a straight-up Isuzu diesel.  I just wouldn't trust a 100% in-house GM-designed diesel.  Not until it had many years and millions of miles under its belt.

Similarly, I'm not ready to go run out and buy a Cruze diesel... not until that motor has more real-world use, particularly in the US (I have heard US-spec diesel is not as high quality as Euro spec diesel fuel).

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #406 on: July 24, 2013, 04:32:32 PM »

Similarly, I'm not ready to go run out and buy a Cruze diesel... not until that motor has more real-world use, particularly in the US (I have heard US-spec diesel is not as high quality as Euro spec diesel fuel).

Pump diesel in the US is 40-45 cetane.  In Europe, you see 55-65 commonly.  I think the minimum there is 50 cetane.  There is a LOT of synth-diesel there as well.  Much cleaner.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #407 on: July 24, 2013, 09:38:31 PM »

Are the smaller Duramax engines designed or co-designed by Isuzu?  That'd work as well for me as a straight-up Isuzu diesel.  I just wouldn't trust a 100% in-house GM-designed diesel.  Not until it had many years and millions of miles under its belt.

very unlikely

holden (GM) sold the rodeo ute for prob close to 30 years which was an isuzu product until the colorado came along

this came about as isuzu and holden had a disagreement and isuzu owned the rodeo name

so holden/gm made their ute and isuzu made basically the same and holden used the isuzu motor

this last change has split them both and although both vehicles are similar they use their own motors now

FWIW i bought my colorado with the isuzu motor for 2 simple facts , timing chain over belt and isuzu makes trucks and uses the 4jj1 motor in their trucks

namely http://www.isuzucv.com/businessuses/utility

with a rated durability that 90% of the motors will get 310,000 miles before rebuild

re the cruze , gf had a diesel one and it was ok , but it does have a dpf which no one wants

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
duc_fan

« Reply #408 on: July 25, 2013, 09:20:21 AM »

DPFs suck.  Tongue  I have just been too lazy to order the delete kit or my truck and get it installed... but I really need to.  Not only too lazy, but I don't want to go blowing out the savings account.  The delete hardware and programmer will run me between $1500 and $2000.  But... it results in improved fuel economy, less crap to go wrong, and MUCH lower fire danger.  Right now we've had 2 wildwires within 10 miles of our place in the past 2 weeks, and there's a 1200 acre one burning ~23 miles northeast of us (big plume of smoke off that one visible from our house yesterday... I'll have to post pics when I get home... work blocking photobucket and all that).  I do not dare take the truck out in the fields right now.

This was tested by the USFS... DPFs are a very real wildland fire danger:
http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdf/08511816.pdf

Are there delete kits for the smaller vehicles, like VWs and the Cruze diesel?

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

LowThudd
"Here I come to save the Daaaay" says my

« Reply #409 on: July 25, 2013, 09:41:28 AM »

Ban the DPF!  Evil

Interesting report Duc_fan. I was aware of the problem, but did not know about that study.
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #410 on: July 25, 2013, 11:58:43 AM »

not sure at all , not something i have looked at

but i agree they are a pain the arse

nissan have a ute equivelent to the colorado model being navara d40 in australia and bad reports of high fuel consumption
due to dpf burnoff

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #411 on: July 25, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »

yup, never got around to doing it on my TDI and now that I'm past the halfway point of how long I'll own the car, I'm not sure I will

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #412 on: July 25, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »

yup, never got around to doing it on my TDI and now that I'm past the halfway point of how long I'll own the car, I'm not sure I will

What year?  Mine has no filter.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #413 on: July 25, 2013, 05:14:28 PM »

What year?  Mine has no filter.
2011 and 143k on it now

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #414 on: July 25, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »

2011 and 143k on it now

Ah.   Mine is a 2005 with 220k.  Pd motor.  Best of the lot...:-)

LowThudd

« Reply #415 on: July 25, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »

And before the gubbernators lowered compression ratio requirement.
Scooter Montgomery

Milford, NH

« Reply #416 on: July 26, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »

Mine is an '91 278k, if doesn't have one either laughingdp or a turbo Cry

2003 620 Half Dark/ Half Silver 35,000 happy miles
duc_fan

« Reply #417 on: July 26, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »

I've heard mixed reviews on the Pumpe-Düse engines.  You like yours?  Particular reasons?  It was introduced in 2004, correct?  Every now and again I go shopping for a used Mk4 Golf TDI to turn into a high-efficiency GTI knockoff (GTD or GTDI).  When your commute is 33 miles each way, highway fuel economy becomes a greater priority.  I just haven't been able to justify the 10-15k it would cost to get into one.  Would take around just under 10 years for it to pay for itself (at current prices locally).  If I could get a decent amount out of my existing (Mk2) GTI and trackbike, I could reduce the payoff period a bit.  Ultimately, we just don't have the cash right this second, and taking out a loan for something with a ten-year payoff period does not make economic sense.  I'd be better off investing in a homebrew biodiesel setup and commuting in the Silverado... yeah, it'd be air hauling, but it'd be CHEAP air hauling.  Wink  If I had my production cost down to $1.50 a gallon, driving the truck would be cheaper than riding the Cagiva.  That doesn't include lower maintenance costs... longer oil change intervals (at about the same price per oil change), less spent on tires, no chain, cost of replacement gear, etc.  I just realised that I dropped $600 on a helmet... that needs replaced every 5 years.  That's $120/year for helmet use.  This stuff adds up quick!

LowThudd

« Reply #418 on: July 26, 2013, 10:18:39 AM »

I've heard mixed reviews on the Pumpe-Düse engines.  You like yours?  Particular reasons?  It was introduced in 2004, correct?  Every now and again I go shopping for a used Mk4 Golf TDI to turn into a high-efficiency GTI knockoff (GTD or GTDI).  When your commute is 33 miles each way, highway fuel economy becomes a greater priority.  I just haven't been able to justify the 10-15k it would cost to get into one.  Would take around just under 10 years for it to pay for itself (at current prices locally).  If I could get a decent amount out of my existing (Mk2) GTI and trackbike, I could reduce the payoff period a bit.  Ultimately, we just don't have the cash right this second, and taking out a loan for something with a ten-year payoff period does not make economic sense.  I'd be better off investing in a homebrew biodiesel setup and commuting in the Silverado... yeah, it'd be air hauling, but it'd be CHEAP air hauling.  Wink  If I had my production cost down to $1.50 a gallon, driving the truck would be cheaper than riding the Cagiva.  That doesn't include lower maintenance costs... longer oil change intervals (at about the same price per oil change), less spent on tires, no chain, cost of replacement gear, etc.  I just realised that I dropped $600 on a helmet... that needs replaced every 5 years.  That's $120/year for helmet use.  This stuff adds up quick!

Very good man. lol
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #419 on: July 26, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »

<jack> Details on the MkII?</jack>

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: