Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:57:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cornering and Chicken Strips  (Read 21128 times)
truckinduc

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2008, 10:47:26 AM »

hey wonked where do you live in North GA? Im Around Chattanooga.

I would like to ride sometime. First my knee has to recover from surgery, and i have to get some new sliders for my leathers.

when i first started riding i was aware of my wear on my rear tire. It seemed as i thought about it in a corner i couldnt improve my lean angle. As i rode more and more i learned to think about NOTHING but your cornering.  learn to hang off the bike more.

Does anyone else hate the knee cutouts, or lack there of, on the monster tank?
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2008, 05:54:26 AM »

Yea, I have been wondering the same thing about my S2R 800.  It has done really well in my last few 400+ mile mountain rides with my friends and their rockets, but I wasn't sure how it would hold up to a day at the track (which would be my first).  I am leaning toward a school that provides bikes and instructions.  That might even be a manditory thing, I haven't really researched it yet. 

Any bike can do a track day, it's just how fast the bike's potential is with you on it.  To be totally honest, mods other than hp gaining ones (only help really on the straights) don't help much until you get to at least a quick beginner group pace.  If you need suspension work, it will show up on your tires (you'll get what's called cold tear).  Sure, those inline 4 liter bikes will go plaid in front of you on the straights, but you can't win a track day.  Go at your own pace.  It will be a great way for you to learn YOUR bike.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
Wonked

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2008, 08:32:50 AM »

hey wonked where do you live in North GA? Im Around Chattanooga.

I would like to ride sometime. First my knee has to recover from surgery, and i have to get some new sliders for my leathers.

when i first started riding i was aware of my wear on my rear tire. It seemed as i thought about it in a corner i couldnt improve my lean angle. As i rode more and more i learned to think about NOTHING but your cornering.  learn to hang off the bike more.

Does anyone else hate the knee cutouts, or lack there of, on the monster tank?

Trucinduc, I'm in Atlanta. There are legion of us here.
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »

Sure, those inline 4 liter bikes will go plaid in front of you on the straights, but you can't win a track day.  Go at your own pace.

haha my last track day my ride along instructor told me, "You won that session, you're moving to B Group next session."

I WON! Cheesy  [moto] Then I lowsided and messed up my track bike Sad
arai_speed
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2008, 04:01:18 PM »

I always win at track days.  The last time I went, I won the privilege of having to buy new tires for the next outing.   [moto]
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2008, 05:11:02 PM »

haha my last track day my ride along instructor told me, "You won that session, you're moving to B Group next session."

I WON! Cheesy  [moto] Then I lowsided and messed up my track bike Sad

Hahaha... I know everyone is tired of hearing about my throttle issue, but for the first turn, the guy behind me said I looked awesome.  Then the next turn, I crashed.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
truckinduc

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2008, 06:59:24 AM »

ok wonked, i think the atlanta group and the chattanooga group, all 5 of us, should get together for a ride sometime. How far do you have to go to get to twisties?. i go about half a mile, lucky me.
truckinduc

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2008, 07:00:48 AM »

oh and i wish i had my scooter here to take a pic of the rear tire. its worn almost to the edge, as far as i can go cause i drag the hell out of the center stand. It throws up some nice sparks though.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »

If you need suspension work, it will show up on your tires (you'll get what's called cold tear). 

Please explain? (I'm up for a complete suspension job)

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2008, 03:00:18 PM »

Please explain? (I'm up for a complete suspension job)

Here's a great resource: http://www.feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html

Tire 1:
COLD TEAR
(potential rebound tear)
These markings are indications of the tire having too much air so that the outer skin cannot reach the required temperature. The tire is probably gaining only 3-4 pounds when it comes off the track. It can also indicate incorrect rebound adjustment in both front and rear tires, so tire pressure gain must be checked immediately after getting off the track. Gain should be 5-7lbs from cold to hot.

Tire 2:
SHOCK SPRING TEAR
When the shock spring is too soft or too hard, the tire carcass is put under extreme duress to the point where the tire shreds and melts. This can be determined by measuring sag to see if the target number cannot be reached firstly, without considerably adding preload to the spring or secondly, if all the preload is off the spring.

Tire 3:
SHOCK REBOUND TEAR
When the shock rebound adjustment is incorrectly set on D.O.T. tires, the tread pattern will show cupping on the leading portion of the pattern with a raised edge followed by a low spot immediately behind it.

Tire 4:
HOT TEAR
When the tire has too little air in it, the pressure gain from cold to hot will be in excess of 10 pounds. When this occurs the tire melts and leaves an angled pattern yet a solid edge on the outer area of the tire.

I think your best bet and cheapest solution is to have a pro set up your suspension at a track day. Here it's about $40 for him to set it all up for you and work with you all day if you have any adjustments needed. Dave Moss (link provided earlier) has guides you can purchase for setting up your suspension.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2008, 04:17:44 PM »

Cool  waytogo I'll take photos after my next(first) trackday and show my guru.

Thanks!

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: