Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:53:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riders being harassed  (Read 7928 times)
Ducatamount

« on: November 03, 2013, 03:44:21 PM »

Stopped in over here to see if I could find anything out about this. Seems very wrong to us 'Mericans.
http://motorbikewriter.com/2013/10/31/meeting-with-police-minister-on-anti-bikie-laws/

half fast
Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »

It's a bit difficult to discuss without breaching Forum rules regarding politics and policing.

There have been a few lightly veiled reference in threads but mostly with the purpose of laughing off the absurdity of it.

Riding in Australia is probably motivated by similar thinking to the US (as opposed to European or Asian practicalities or necessities) so you can imagine some of the circumstances that will arrive:

• Picture a known bike riding road which sees very little four (or more) wheeled traffic
  • A group of completely un-associated riders 'bunch-up' as a slow/novice rider stems the traffic flow
  • Overtaking is not an option because a winding 'bikers' road has few, legal, overtaking options
  • As this 'group' is riding 'together' they are 'targeted' as they pull into a remote coffee stop
  • This dangerous collection of riders, on the following bikes, files in: scooter, metric cruiser, vintage european, custom cruiser, commuter, sports bike, MP3, exotic european (that would be the Monster), dual sport, learner legal, vintage scooter, motard and the elderly couple on the Gold Wing
  • Surely these people should not be allowed to associate the way that they have and police need to act

How can you not laugh at that situation?

Interestingly the Queensland OzMos are planning a group ride for the first time in a long time just as these laws are being put in to practice. Somebody had better contact that non-existent hotline mentioned in the article linked above before you illegally 'associate'.

Believe post content at your own risk.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »

This dangerous collection of riders, on the following bikes, files in: scooter, metric cruiser, vintage european, custom cruiser, commuter, sports bike, MP3, exotic european (that would be the Monster), dual sport, learner legal, vintage scooter, motard and the elderly couple on the Gold Wing

You bought a Gold Wing  Huh?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Betty

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »

I may be old ... but I'm not that old ... the Boss on the other hand  Undecided  (is there a duck & cover smiley?)  Lips Sealed

We are more likely to be two-up on the 1965 scooter with 150cc of raw power ... clearly outlaws with aims to intimidate out on the road.

Ducatamount

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 04:46:14 PM »

It's a bit difficult to discuss without breaching Forum rules regarding politics and policing.

Hmmm... you are probably right. Maybe I should not have started this topic. If anyone would like to PM me with info,opinions or rumors please feel free to do so.
Thanks.

half fast
geoffduc

18 till i die

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 12:46:09 AM »

You're on thin ice there Lars... Roll Eyes

Geoff... coffee

2015 scrambler FT
2009 monster 1100s
Ducatamount

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 04:42:43 AM »

I very much admire your guys ability to keep a sense of humor about a bad situation. I would probably get pulled over, mouth off and end up behind bars.

half fast
oldmanevo

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 02:58:22 PM »

The crimes act deals adequately with crime and criminal behaviour.  Laws that target you for the vehicle you ride/drive and are dressed up as anti-gang laws are a concern.  Just make sure if you come riding in Qld that you only come in pairs as three or more will result in stop&search and could get you 18 months in jail.  Perhaps Nissan Pulsar drivers will be the next ones targeted as I once saw a Hell's Angel driving a Pulsar.  Anyway apparently as long as when you are stopped you give the police full details of your name, the address you have been, the address you are heading to, who you are associating with, what your employment is and what you had for breakfast you will be free to continue on your ride. 
techno

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 04:52:19 PM »

At the risk of breaching the "no politics" rules of the board, here is my take...

Queensland is moving closer to a totalitarian state. Forget about bikies for a moment as the laws apply to everyone and some parts don't even mention bikies. They have the potential to apply to any clubs or organisations. They have started with the bikies because the general public are unlikely to have any sympathy with them being targeted. They could just as easily apply to football clubs or environmental groups or anyone else the gov doesn't like. I suspect they will be widely used in the lead up to the G20 meeting to crack down on any protests or opposition.

The main reason for offence is that they restrict freedom of association. It is now a crime for people to associate with certain others and that carries a minimum 6 month jail term. There is a presumption against bail if they suspect you are a gang member (even if you aren't). All bail hearings will now go through the one magistrate who will tow the gov line. There are lots more offensive parts to these laws but this is probably not the place for it.

It is a total abuse of power and attack on basic freedoms behind a thinly veiled law and order crackdown.

Hey Techno you are a smart man.  waytogo

Had an accident in Tasmania? - www.tas-compo-law.com.au
rendang

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 11:26:53 PM »

Not just Queensland Techno, in one way or another its the same in every state and every country. Ever heard of the NSA ?   'cause sure as eggs they have heard everything of you.   laughingdp   

On our recent ride to Phillip Island we were twice radar speed checked then pulled over despite being under the speed limit. Our licences were checked then they wrote down our names, licence and rego numbers on a notepad. I found it really disturbing and annoying that they would do this. When I asked why, they said it was just to show the boss they were on the job, this information would not be recorded anywhere else, it was to remind them of whom they spoke to that day in case of any complaints etc etc. I don't believe any of it and I really hate the way things are going.

S2R800,    0    , 750 GT, Rickman Honda, 450 'Silver Shotgun", 750 Sport, 250 Mark 3, Kwaka 500 triple.
Scoober1103
Good morning my

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 11:34:53 PM »

I heard through the grape vine that a high ranking police officer wandered into QLD's number 1 harley stealership on the weekend and and said if out on a 'HOG' social ride where there could be hundreds of participants you will not be targeted unless your wearing "colours". Interesting.

09 M1100 + stuff.
07 GSXR750 stock as a......
15 KTM Freeride 250r for hurting myself!

Don't buy cheap shit, it can cut your balls off.
Betty

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 08:30:55 PM »

There appears to be a few minor errors, but this is an interesting read (posted as a 'public service announcement'  / 'awareness campaign' only of course):

http://www.guestlawyers.com.au/index.php/blog/are-you-a-vicious-lawless-associate.html

Ducatamount

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 04:13:54 AM »

Wow Betty. This is absolutely incredible. I can't believe the public supports this. Any club or organization. A rugby club, car club, knitting circle or Boy Scouts. This sets a dangerous precedent and must be challenged in the highest court. In America you are arrested and tried according to the alleged crime. Even if you are a member of the Mafia, it is the crime you commit that determines your fate not the membership.
This VLAD Act is all so very wrong. You guys MUST not just roll over and accept it.
Good luck to all.

half fast
loony888

"I WAS GOING HOW FAST, OFFICER?"

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »

There's relevant views in this thread but the one thing most people who live outside australia don't understand is our laid back, apathetic view of life, i'll probably offend a few by saying this but it's the few that understand and have already posted that fall outside the many, the "she'll be right mate" attitude of most aussies is what the politicians use against us, it's rare, very rare, that the public will band together and protest unless those members of the public are directly effected. The spin doctors have done a good job of convincing the average law abiding citizen that speeding is a capital offense, and wearing club colours is the equivalent of being an axe murderer, the mere fact the government is passing laws that seriously encroach on our way of life, removing our ability to associate with whomever we want lest we plot to assassinate one certain meglomaniacal narcissist is portrayed as paranoia by those who have something to hide.

What concerns me more than all of that though is the civil libertarians who are usually outraged and looking for vocal soundbites on the 6pm news whenever a real criminal (read rapist, sex offender etc) is mistreated or whatever are very conspicuous by their silence and lack of public outrage on this issue.

I guess it will take someones golf club to be raided before people with real clout get vocal, and that won't happen any time soon.....

HERE AND NOW                      12 DIAVEL AMG
                                              93 888 RS
                                              09 1098R BAYLISS
                                              07 Husqvarna TE 450

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN        03 S4R       95 900SL
                                              01 S4         93 900M
                                              96 748SP
Betty

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »

... and therein lies the beauty of the thing (from the point of view of powers that be)

I guess it will take someones golf club to be raided before people with real clout get vocal, and that won't happen any time soon.....

... but if a couple of blokes from a footy club get in a punch-up ... look out - they had it coming anyway

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: