Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 06, 2024, 07:25:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will I Ever Get This on the Road?  (Read 28914 times)
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« on: July 10, 2014, 11:22:38 AM »

Well, another project, or well a return to a stalled project

What we have here is (not a failure to communicate Tongue) but a 1978 Suzuki TS185.

History:

My dad purchased this bike in the fall of 1978.  I wasn't even a year old then.  He did a little trail riding with another family member and used it to run around the property and back and forth to my grandparent's house that was about 3/4 a mile away.  Never saw heavy/abusive usage, just got rode around and found a little mud here and there.

Fast-forward about 10 years.  I had a Honda TRX125 for a while, and this bike really kept tempting me to ride it, every time I saw it in the shed to get my 4-wheeler out.  Dad hadn't ridden it for a few years at the time.  I finally asked, and we got it out and it became the first motorcycle I ever rode, and boy did I.  It was the coolest thing I'd ever ridden.  I had a couple small "whoopsies" that I didn't tell Mom or Dad about because Mom would have likely banned me from it since she wasn't not happy at all Dad taught me how to ride it.  I rode it until one day I went to kick it over and kicked myself right off it.  That's right, the piston had seized.  I was sad, no more motorcycle.  It went into the back of the shed to collect dust since we didn't have the money to fix it.

Fast-forward another 18 or 19 years.  I had been riding on the street and tinkering on bikes for a few years and had bought a house.  One random night, I got the bright idea I wanted to get that TS running again because it is a hoot to ride.  So, I rescued it from the shed, in the rain.

I did a few little things, cleaned the carbs, got it running ok, put a clutch in it etc.  Removed the seized piston and did a 1mm overbore and basically did a top-end rebuild.  In my dining room.  Can you tell I was a bachelor at the time?

I finally got a bucket of parts from my parent's basement.  That bucket contained all of the stuff that made it a street legal dual-sport, it's original configuration.  That got it to a decent running and decent looking bike.

However, I never got the electrics working right. So, I ran it around the yard and neighborhood and finally it just got parked.  It's sat for three or four years. 

Now, I'm revisiting it.  I *hope* I can get the electrics working right.  I'll have to clean the carb out since it had been sitting, but I REALLY want to tag this bike and ride it around town.

Thanks for reading and feel free to toss any useful knowledge my way!

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »

I've got no useful knowledge beyond: it's a motorcycle, and you should ride it!
Nice job getting it going again, good luck on the electrics.
It's not magic, just try not to let the smoke out of the expensive pieces.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 12:01:06 PM »

Just reminds me of my first bike, 1983 or 84 DR125, yellow/blue colour scheme was too tall for me, but, I got on it  . . . rode it in my backyard and one weekend, it dissappeared  Cry

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
the_Journeyman

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »

Just reminds me of my first bike, 1983 or 84 DR125, yellow/blue colour scheme was too tall for me, but, I got on it  . . . rode it in my backyard and one weekend, it dissappeared  Cry

Yea. know what you mean.  Dad put a large block of wood by the shed for me.  I couldn't touch the ground while on it when I first started riding.  I had to use the block to stand on to kick start it and to get on and off it!

Seev;  I certainly plan on riding it, it's top speed is aroudn 45-50, but it sure is fun to ride!

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:09:09 PM »

I restored a GT550 and am almost ready to start (try and start) a H1e project.  Your bike looks really great for the year.  You've got all the really hard to replace bits in good shape.  The electrics on bikes of that era are relatively straight forward.  I'm guessing by electrics you mean no spark?  There are not many places that can go wrong and a volt meter can trace any problem down.  The most common problem would be the coil followed by possibly the condenser.  A tricky one is (my GT550 had this problem) the spark plug cap comes apart and there is a resistor chip/spring inside.  The hidden bits can get rusty up in there and really weaken the spark. If you have spark then maybe revisit the carb.  I had one cylinder on my triple that gave me problems.  The carb looked just as good as the other two but the third time I had it apart I must have done something different and got it running OK.  Have you pulled the needle jet and cleaned it up?  FYI - e10 can do some serious damage to the carb and crank seals.  Good luck - I love old 2 strokes.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 06:55:06 PM »

Does it have a battery?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
the_Journeyman

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:58:47 AM »

Actually, ignition circuitry is fine.  Once I have the carb cleaned up and make sure it's getting oil from the oil pump it'll run good most likely.

The electrics I'm having trouble with is the lighting circuits.

It does have a battery, but it's a tiny 6V one that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

the_Journeyman

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 04:14:22 AM »

So far what I've learned...

1.  Never, ever let premix sit.  It had a tank of premix due to concerns the CCI had failed. I have a carburetor full of black sludge.  I'll be washing out the tank as well, since there was some in it.

2.  This is the most simple bike I've ever worked on as far as mechanical stuff goes.  I had the tank off, air box removed and carb removed in about 15 minutes.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 04:36:12 AM »

That old Montesa I got had premix left in it and it seized the motor. I pulled the barrel off and have the bottom end soaking in ATF.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 04:40:46 AM »

I have a soft spot for the ol' TS185  waytogo

Looking forward to following the progress of yours... especially as it has history, been in the family for so long.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
the_Journeyman

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 05:36:52 AM »

Rinsed the old pre-mix out of the tank with fresh gas and carb cleaner.  I probably looked like an idiot standing in the driveway shaking a gas tank for all it was work  laughingdp

Petcock was so sludged I could barely turn it.  It's currently partially disassembled and will be further disassembled. 

Carburetor cleaner to the face isn't much fun.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 05:39:20 AM »

Carburetor cleaner to the face isn't much fun.

JM

How'd you know?

Grin

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
GK

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 06:01:40 AM »

So far what I've learned...

2.  This is the most simple bike I've ever worked on as far as mechanical stuff goes.  I had the tank off, air box removed and carb removed in about 15 minutes.

JM

I remember the simplicity of such bikes. I've had a few over the years, all pretty darn easy to work on.

Hope it's running sweetly soon.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
DesmoDiva

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 06:27:48 AM »

Good luck, JM.

Wish I could get my dad to part with the old Rokon that's sitting in the shed at home.

He wouldn't teach me to ride it, only my sister.  She dropped it once and never tried to ride it again.

B dug it out and ran it several years back.

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
the_Journeyman

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 06:36:37 AM »

I remember that!  Those Rokons were really someting else!

One of my biggest concerns is the oil pump working properly.  I've got to find a way to prime it or something.  I think I'll take the spark plug out and and kick it over a few times and see if I get any oil.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: