Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 06:04:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping my S2R 800 going and healthy. Winter small things, again ...  (Read 39679 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2022, 10:44:40 AM »

The shop is closed another two weeks.

Similar weather and similar engine temperature:

It no longer fluctuate to 2,500 revs. Now only to 2,000 and maybe a little less often.

After reving it, it slowly'ish settles at 2,000 and after another two three second to 1,500. So, the reduced engine breaking is still a problem.

I checked the air bleeds today. They were all the way in. Tried one full turn out (yes, a 360) = nothing. Another half turn = nothing. Another full turn = nothing. All the way in = nothing.  Maybe, just maybe, a little crisp'er throttle response with the bleeds out (MAYBE).

I'll throw in another factor.... not at all scientific, but I get the impression that it gets warmer during city riding. Maybe 5-10 degrees C. I'm curious to hear what the shop might have changed, if anything. Maybe something in the ECU fuel/spark maps.... to control the bike's temperament a little... 

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2022, 02:34:00 AM »

Any news?

2015 Scrambler 800
greenmonster

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2022, 05:47:20 AM »

I'm curious to hear what the shop might have changed, if anything. Maybe something in the ECU fuel/spark maps.... to control the bike's temperament a little...

https://bradthebikeboy.blogspot.com/2019/07/multistrada-1000-not-idling-ecu-based.html?m=1

Longish but fix at end might interest.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 08:51:09 AM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2022, 01:17:04 PM »

Any news?

Hopefully this coming week.

Well... I don't have a stepper, so ......

greenmonster

« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2022, 03:26:52 PM »

You are courius if shop altered ignition map, you said.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2022, 09:45:18 AM »

Shop replied and suspect TPS - at least as a primary suspect.

I had the TPS checked and reset twice. 2.5 (mV?) both times. So, it's not the TPS.

The vertical cylinder's plug is showing signs of lean running. The copper spacer (to lift the plug off the piston) is squashed and maybe there was false air sucked in. You can see that the threads are dry and clean. I don't know if that's possible, but the signs are clear. The other major sign is that the 'tip' from inside the ceramic is no longer a tip. It's gone / reduced down to the level of the ceramic.

The horizontal cylinder's plug is more or less normal.

VERTICAL

HORIZONTAL

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2022, 02:58:25 PM »

How many miles on those plugs?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2022, 04:40:38 PM »

Shop replied and suspect TPS - at least as a primary suspect.

I had the TPS checked and reset twice. 2.5 (mV?) both times. So, it's not the TPS.

The vertical cylinder's plug is showing signs of lean running. The copper spacer (to lift the plug off the piston) is squashed and maybe there was false air sucked in. You can see that the threads are dry and clean. I don't know if that's possible, but the signs are clear. The other major sign is that the 'tip' from inside the ceramic is no longer a tip. It's gone / reduced down to the level of the ceramic.

The horizontal cylinder's plug is more or less normal.

VERTICAL

HORIZONTAL

Shit!  How's compression on that cylinder? I wonder if an air leak has melted it away (or runaway ignition timing issue). Yet the side electrode appears dark. If ignition advance got away it would be white along its length well past the half way mark (unless oil has since stained it dark).

Howie to the courtesy phone!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 04:47:03 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2022, 05:02:29 PM »

Ummm....wow!

For sure you want to start with a compression test.  If compression is good enough, then injector volume and pattern.  I do think koko's thoughts on the air leak is probably it.  I don't like the looks of the copper "spacer", could be the problem. 
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2022, 12:16:38 AM »

How many miles on those plugs?

I din't know. They were probaly replaced this summer = 5,000 mies. Last summer.... ~15,000

Shit!  How's compression on that cylinder? I wonder if an air leak has melted it away (or runaway ignition timing issue). Yet the side electrode appears dark. If ignition advance got away it would be white along its length well past the half way mark (unless oil has since stained it dark).

Howie to the courtesy phone!

Compression was good, but that was without the squashed copper spacer issue (during the test procedure)

Ummm....wow!

For sure you want to start with a compression test.  If compression is good enough, then injector volume and pattern.  I do think koko's thoughts on the air leak is probably it.  I don't like the looks of the copper "spacer", could be the problem. 

New plugs and new spacers yesterday, so I'll check in a few days. The idle is still too high (especially between 60-80 degrees C)(~140-180F).

The fuel map was done (or maybe just confirmed) after the last work in July. Good A/F ratio all along the range. That Dyno work also showed improved peak power and beautiful curves all along the rev range. Even so, I can't reach the top speed I used to. Missing almost 15mph.

Something is not quite right.

greenmonster

« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2022, 01:27:42 AM »

I had the TPS checked and reset twice. 2.5 (mV?) both times.

2,5 degrees, 423 mV.

Is the ignition map also a custom map?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2022, 08:15:19 AM »

2,5 degrees, 423 mV.

Is the ignition map also a custom map?

I don't know. I assume not, since I was never told it is.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2022, 03:32:57 PM »

I've been around a while, and have never seen a center electrode completely disappear on a 4 stroke, They'd partially dissapear on 2 srokes, and the manufacturers came out with electrodes that would stand the gaff.

Something is going on, and I have no clue as to what it is.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2022, 03:53:16 AM »

Same here, worn down yes, but completely gone, never.

2015 Scrambler 800
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2022, 06:20:11 AM »

... I wonder if a fuel map, functioning well on the Dyno, can get digitally lost (forgot to press ENTER kind of thing) and be automatically/accidently replaced by ECU stock info. It could explain a lot.... also the poor performance/top speed.

In that case the worst plug might have become THAT bad because of the spacer leakage, but would have shown clear signs of lean running anyway - like the other plug.

The shop usually steps up in cases like this. Because of geography it won't be easy to get anything done before next July. I will be able to check the plugs and establish if the spacer was the main cause for the destruction of the plug tip.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: