Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 17, 2024, 06:35:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 421   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 514733 times)

« Reply #5610 on: May 10, 2013, 09:25:26 PM »

Good for you!  waytogo I just did a victory lap around Diamond Head for finishing my final exams and acing all of them! Now I just have to wait till graduation day in 2 days.  Grin

YES<  Congrats!!!
What is your field of study?

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
rz3r0

« Reply #5611 on: May 11, 2013, 04:47:54 AM »

Thanks 118811!  Grin Just graduated today, with an Associates in Liberal Arts, with concentration in Teaching English as a Second Language or TESOL from Kapiolani Community College. Now the next chapter begins as I continue to my Bachelor's Degree!  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:50:59 AM by rz3r0 » Logged

« Reply #5612 on: May 11, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »

Thanks 118811!  Grin Just graduated today, with an Associates in Liberal Arts, with concentration in Teaching English as a Second Language or TESOL from Kapiolani Community College. Now the next chapter begins as I continue to my Bachelor's Degree!  Smiley

Good for you....BTW nice "BOND" watch   Cool

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5613 on: May 26, 2013, 07:00:09 PM »

About 16 miles of single track.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #5614 on: May 26, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »

Did 15.5 miles on the road yesterday. Not the same as single track for sure.  Maybe I'll do some more tomorrow.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5615 on: May 26, 2013, 08:53:09 PM »

Mine was loops 1&2, twice.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #5616 on: May 26, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »

I don't think I could do either one even once.    Grin

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5617 on: May 27, 2013, 04:53:08 AM »

I don't think I could do either one even once.    Grin

Sure you could.  The trails there are very well maintained, and while rooty in a few places, it's nothing that can't be cleaned once you spot the right line to take.

I'm lucky in the fact that the park is only five miles from my place.   Cheesy

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #5618 on: May 27, 2013, 10:01:40 AM »

Sort of dusted off the Pegoretti Marcelo and did 20.25 miles around Kailua, with hills coming out of Enchanted Lakes and up Kalanianaole.  My legs are talking to me now.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:49:33 PM by MacDuck » Logged

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #5619 on: May 27, 2013, 10:18:42 AM »

Road tested this BMW R1200S yesterday from Kaimuki around Sandy Beach through Norfolk.

I think it could be a good next bike

But it's still a long way from being a Ducati

More on road test impressions later

--------------------------------

OK, now it's later and I have re-fueled after this morning's bike ride.   coffee  coffee

BMW has had some spotty success with a few odd bikes that could be considered "sport bikes" , loosely defined that is.  Starting with the R90S which won a class at Daytona and then afterwards in a few other odd classes.  In fact a rather famous rider, who's name escapes me at the moment, (Reg Pridmore) had some considerable campaigns with the bike ( Two first places at Daytona in AMA Superbike ).  However this class of bike never really sat well or sold well with most of BMW's market and had little appeal outside their market.

The R1200S was the new, improved version of the R1100S but not quite the pinnacle of the Boxer engine that was used in the HP2 Sport.  BMW got with the program and developed the S1000RR and you guys know the rest.

So this R1200S is lighter and more powerful than the previous bike.  On paper it has 122 HP at the crank, puts out 82.6 ft lbs of torque and has a dry weight of 419 lbs.  Contrast that with the Ducati 848 at 134 HP at the crank, 70.8 ft lbs torque and 370 lbs dry.

Considering the 12 extra ft lbs of torque I thought the performance would be close between the two.  WRONG.  The 848 is noticeably quicker and meaner sounding. Not that the R1200S is slow, it's not but it does take a little more work to get it going whereas the 848 is more of a bad boy right from the get go.

When we got off the bikes at Norfolk the 1200 owner ( who has had a Monster and a 999 ) told be right away that I probably thought the R1200S was more of an old man's sport tourer.  Well, that was close to what I thought but having put some miles on the R1100S just the day before I was inclined to be more charitable, and not unjustly so.

The R1200S is noticeably lighter and more agile than the 1100 and noticeably more powerful too so that in BMW's book it was, and is , a huge improvement.  You can feel the top heaviness of the bike as opposed to the Ducati. The front feels light and slightly nervous. It moves a bit too easily and requires a bit different feel when cornering compared to my 848 which is totally planted but still moves exactly where you want it to, exactly when you want it to, with no guesswork or uncertainty. Just perfect IMO.  Maybe doing away with the helibar clipons, which add about an inch of height to the bars, would help get a little extra weight on the front. He was running Michelin Pilot Power front & rear but I don't know what the tire pressure was and getting that set right might also help. Coming through some of the bumpy sections of Norfolk at a bit of speed also showed the rear suspension was not damped enough so there was a bit of extra bouncing and wiggle there.  Almost thrilling...... Grin    I think that could be worked out with some adjustment.

The engine is way smoother than the 1100 and has almost no Boxer buzz at all. That's nice. The 848 is right in between the two when it comes to overall smoothness. The Akropovic exhaust has a nice note but still seems stealthy compared to the 848 and that is even with the baffles removed in the 1200. Stealth is not a bad thing but like the 1200 owner said when he got off my bike " The exhaust noise is intoxicating on this thing."  Yep, he's sure right about that and it's one of the things I'd miss.  So, in a way, the whole bike is a bit stealthy, minus a flat black satin paint job. That is, while it's a bit slower than the 848, it can still be made to go quick enough to surprise people. It is not a stodgy BMW cruiser.  It's more like a bike without a proper identity.  In a way, kind of like me.    laughingdp
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:35:57 PM by MacDuck » Logged

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5620 on: May 27, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »

Yep.  Shaft drive and telewhatever front suspension don't necessarily make for a thrilling ride.  Well, I take that back. Having the shit scared out of you is quite thrilling as well. 

So what's the guy wanting for it?  On the plus side, you'd never need to buy frame sliders.   Grin

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5621 on: May 27, 2013, 11:06:54 AM »

On the plus side, you'd never need to buy frame sliders.   Grin

laughingdp laughingdp

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #5622 on: May 27, 2013, 12:45:36 PM »

Yep.  Shaft drive and telewhatever front suspension don't necessarily make for a thrilling ride.  Well, I take that back. Having the shit scared out of you is quite thrilling as well. 

So what's the guy wanting for it?  On the plus side, you'd never need to buy frame sliders.   Grin

The Duolever front & Paralever rear suspensions are actually quite nice once you get used to them and the shaft drive too.  None of this adds or subtracts from what you could call a thrilling ride.

See the edited version of the road test above.   Dolph

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #5623 on: May 27, 2013, 01:31:25 PM »

You call that an edit?

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5624 on: May 27, 2013, 01:38:46 PM »

See the edited version of the road test above.   Dolph

Nice write up, I'd be interested if I hadn't already been seduced by the streetfighter genre...the R90S rider that you're thinking of is Reg Pridmore, Jason's dad...

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 421   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: