Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:47:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 678216 times)
sbrguy

« Reply #1305 on: December 21, 2010, 03:28:26 PM »

i say pick up the new tank and coat it with the caswells without ever putting fuel in it and be done with it.
jgrm1

« Reply #1306 on: December 22, 2010, 04:53:47 AM »

I read a couple of letters written by Ducati owners in the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News asking when the media was going to get involved in the expanding tank issue.  It seems the movement is growing (pardon the pun).  MCN's advice was to contact NHTSA.

Here is Motorcycle Consumer News’ response to the letters regarding expanding Ducati tanks published in their January 2011 issue.  Note the email address for the NHTSA’s investigator at the bottom. 

Problems with swelling molded plastic Ducati gas tanks, which have been used on the Sport GT, Monster, and Multistrada have been noted since 2004.  The problem does not seem to affect all of Ducati’s plastic gas tanks, and ethanol in the fuel does appear to be the cause.  Ducati is apparently acting in good faith and replacing any affected tanks, even well past the warranty period.  We have seen pictures of such tanks that have become grotesquely large, which can make accessing their mounting bolts difficult.  But until the problems included leaks around the fuel pump mounting, which could drip on the hot exhaust, creating a fire hazard, NHTSA was not interested.  We have spoken to Robert Young, NHTSA’s chief motorcycle investigator, and he tell s us NHTSA is now investigating complaints on the 2004-2007 Monsters and Multistradas.  The Sport Classics are not yet included as the complaints haven’t included fire danger. 

Be aware that if you decide to coat the inside of your plastic gas tank, hoping to eliminate the problem, Ducati has not authorized this solution, so any future problems may raise questions about the suitability of the products, which are, in fact, designed for metal gas tanks. 

We suggest the any owners who feel that their problems can be life-threatening in any way contact NHTSA.  Be sure to have photos for documentation if your particular case is investigated.  Bob Young can be reached at the following email address:  ryoung@nhtsa.dot.gov.

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #1307 on: December 22, 2010, 07:45:08 AM »

So "We know their is a problem that we are not willing to fix but if you find a fix we advise you not to use it".  They are really stuck in between a rock and the hard asphalt.  But, I cannot imagine "any" manufacturer of motorcycles, cars or toasters that would replace a $2000.00 tank after four years.  And they are replacing my tank not because they have to.   Ducati does stand tall!!!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:16:51 AM by BoDiddley » Logged

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #1308 on: December 25, 2010, 10:50:01 AM »

i say pick up the new tank and coat it with the caswells without ever putting fuel in it and be done with it.

Ahhhh yep, what else would I do with it, but I will feel better when I actually have the tank.  It has been charged to the dealers account so maybe it is true?  Vino!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:00:38 AM by BoDiddley » Logged

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
CJIA

« Reply #1309 on: December 25, 2010, 09:36:17 PM »

its times like this that i'm glad i ride a 2002 monster with a metal tank...
strat10
I said "What"?

« Reply #1310 on: December 27, 2010, 02:31:20 PM »

Took mine to the Dealer, "yes, your tank is swelling" waited about 2 months, they called said the tank was in, replaced it within an hour, I now have a shiny new tank.

By the time I got it in it was getting hard to get to the ignition. It was definatley ballooning.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #1311 on: January 04, 2011, 04:01:57 PM »

...replace a $2000.00 tank after four years.  And they are replacing my tank not because they have to...

I love the company, but actually in the US they have to replace it since the federal requirement on emission warranty is 5 years regardless of what the manufacturer states.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1312 on: January 05, 2011, 01:17:32 AM »

I love the company, but actually in the US they have to replace it since the federal requirement on emission warranty is 5 years regardless of what the manufacturer states.

Well, sort of.  The warranty is 5 years or 30,000 kilometers, whichever comes first.  They have been replacing tanks on bikes over 30K.  The emissions warranty also does not include cosmetic problems.  Unless fuel or fuel vapor is escaping there is no emissions defect.  For some reason I will not speculate on they are using the emission warranty as a mechanism for replacing bad tanks.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1313 on: January 05, 2011, 04:07:36 AM »

It could be argued that it might be a cosmetic problem if there weren't numerous reports of leaking tanks across all models.

The basis of the filed lawsuit is a leaking 1198.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Scissors

« Reply #1314 on: January 05, 2011, 06:26:02 AM »

2004 to 2007?  My 2009 had the issue.  At least I have videos of the leak...

I already reported it on NHTSA's web site.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1315 on: January 05, 2011, 06:27:14 AM »

2004 to 2007?  My 2009 had the issue.  At least I have videos of the leak...

I already reported it on NHTSA's web site.

If you reported it then it was after they opened the investigation (or after they collected the info to do so)

You need to contact the investigator at NHTSA, PM me if you want to.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1316 on: January 05, 2011, 07:21:56 AM »

It could be argued that it might be a cosmetic problem if there weren't numerous reports of leaking tanks across all models.

The basis of the filed lawsuit is a leaking 1198.

I guess my wording could have been better.  I was only referring to the tanks replaced for cosmetic reasons.  Leaking tanks are clearly not only an emissions violation but a safety recall issue which would be forever.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1317 on: January 05, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »

I guess my wording could have been better.  I was only referring to the tanks replaced for cosmetic reasons.  Leaking tanks are clearly not only an emissions violation but a safety recall issue which would be forever.

They are causally related problems.  The deformation causes the cosmetic issues, and if it occurs on the sides or bottom of the tank will lead to leaking. 

The fuel flange separates from the metal plate due to the deformation.

In my ad-hoc testing, I was able to get the bottom of the tank to expand and leak.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1318 on: January 05, 2011, 09:34:24 AM »

They are causally related problems.  The deformation causes the cosmetic issues, and if it occurs on the sides or bottom of the tank will lead to leaking. 

The fuel flange separates from the metal plate due to the deformation.

In my ad-hoc testing, I was able to get the bottom of the tank to expand and leak.

Agreed. 
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1319 on: January 05, 2011, 09:52:09 AM »

Agreed. 

My point was that calling the expansion/deformation a "cosmetic" problem hides the fact that it leads to leaking. 

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: