Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:41:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695259 times)
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2175 on: January 10, 2012, 06:55:13 AM »

Hint: You bought a Ducati, not an Acerbis.

could still be argued they'd be liable under products liability for defects but as mentioned above - nobody is dead and the other side is arguing they aren't defective.

SSCR

« Reply #2176 on: January 12, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »

I am going to ping my dealer tomorrow about getting the new tank.  I am the second owner of the bike but still... She is starting to warp now.  Their excuse was that because of my bike's color, it would be hard to replace.  I am sure someone here on the board could match the factory specs and paint it for me.  I just want a tank that stands the test of time because as I've said, I have no intention on selling that bike. I will get another one but I am not selling her.

My dealer told me the same thing that my tank was a "rare" color (black with orange strip) and that it would be very difficult to replace it. Starting to sound like the same BS.... I'm willing to take a new tank and let Ducati off the hook. I will than use only ethanol free fuel or have the tank coated.
TitanMonsterS4R

Yup, it's supposed to sound like that....

« Reply #2177 on: January 12, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »

My dealer told me the same thing that my tank was a "rare" color (black with orange strip) and that it would be very difficult to replace it. Starting to sound like the same BS.... I'm willing to take a new tank and let Ducati off the hook. I will than use only ethanol free fuel or have the tank coated.

BS.  Recently got an acid yellow and black tank replaced. I imagine those are about as hard to find as the black and tang. 

06 Monster S4R - Red/Black Final Edition
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2178 on: January 12, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »

BS.  Recently got an acid yellow and black tank replaced. I imagine those are about as hard to find as the black and tang. 

The "most" rare.  One year and limited make.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
TitanMonsterS4R

Yup, it's supposed to sound like that....

« Reply #2179 on: January 12, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »

The "most" rare.  One year and limited make.

I stand corrected.  bow down  Is the black and tang really hard to find?

06 Monster S4R - Red/Black Final Edition
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2180 on: January 12, 2012, 07:05:23 PM »

I meant the acid yellow model.  only made in 05

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
SSCR

« Reply #2181 on: January 12, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »

Man, if you got your tank replaced WTF??? I need to call my dealership again and demand a new tank!
J.P.

« Reply #2182 on: January 13, 2012, 06:07:51 AM »

Tank #2 lasted exactly 1 year. Now I gotta head back to the dealer.
Interesting the coatings failed the tests by Acerbis, have they recommended any solution?

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2183 on: January 13, 2012, 07:52:12 AM »

Tank #2 lasted exactly 1 year. Now I gotta head back to the dealer.
Interesting the coatings failed the tests by Acerbis, have they recommended any solution?

Acerbis tested one tank and one coating.  There is no way to know if they applied the coating correctly, or what.

Experience has shown that the coating needs to be thinned to get complete coverage and that it is likely wise to do a second coat once the first has set up.

Also, they tested using a solution of 100% ethanol which may invalidate the test.  There was no report on the ambient humidity, how the solution was prepared or why they chose 100% ethanol.

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #2184 on: January 13, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »

i think what they successfully proved was that the tanks do fail when exposed to ethanol.  thanks for proving our point, acerbis. 

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2185 on: January 13, 2012, 09:31:07 AM »

i think what they successfully proved was that the tanks do fail when exposed to ethanol.  thanks for proving our point, acerbis. 

no, the test was supposed to be to test Caswell's coating. 

In the photos they are pointing to spots where the coating "delaminated" from the tank, but it looks more like they are pointing at the artifact bubbles that occur in the surface of the PA6 during molding rather than actual delamination.  It isn't coming off in sheets, it just looks like a spot where it is not in contact with the surface.  I do not feel based on what I've seen so far that it's a valid test.

They also had a sectioned tank with one of the 3m coatings which had in fact delaminated, but there was no info as to how the tank was prepped or if it was new tank or who did the coating.  In fact, it looks like it was a used tank that was not dried and cleaned properly -- the coating is coming off in sheets.  just like as if there are sections where something (i.e. gasoline residue) was present.

Caswell (and other) coating makers have demonstrated to me that their coatings are ethanol proof up to 90% concentration, so I don't see the point in using a 100% solution when that will never, ever occur.  I can understand using a "contaminated" amount of up to 20-25% or even 85% as a test of E85, but using 100% invalidated the test.

More importantly, the test doesn't specify anything about the testing conditions or how the tank was prepared.  Tank prep is probably the most important issue.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:47:49 AM by ducatiz » Logged

jgrm1

« Reply #2186 on: January 13, 2012, 09:33:39 AM »

When does the judge rule on the settlement?

-Jeff

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #2187 on: January 13, 2012, 09:42:54 AM »

I mean to say, by testing at all, they concede there is an issue with the design. I don't test a solution for a non-existent problem.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2188 on: January 13, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »

Ducati Class Action Update

We are pleased to announce that the Court has fully approved the Ducati settlement.  The effective date for the settlement is February 14, 2012.  That means the earliest that Ducati is obligated to perform under the settlement is February 14, 2012.

Under the settlement, Ducati will provide repairs for fuel tank expansion problems under an extended warranty.  The extended warranty for expansion problems that are not purely cosmetic will cover repairs for the longer of 6 years from the original sale date or until 18 months after the settlement’s effective date, whichever provides longer coverage for a particular motorcycle.  The extended warranty for purely cosmetic expansion problems will cover repairs for the longer of 5 years from the original sale date or until 18 months after the effective date.

To receive repairs under the settlement, you must take your motorcycle to an authorized Ducati dealer.

Complete information about the settlement, including links to the settlement agreement and the Court’s order approving it, can be found at www.GirardGibbs.com/ducati.asp

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #2189 on: January 13, 2012, 03:12:27 PM »

That maketh me a grumpygus.

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: