Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:41:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695259 times)
Gardein

« Reply #2265 on: February 11, 2012, 06:17:40 PM »

No tank replacement was deemed necessary for my bike.. Ducati is having my dealership fit the "fuel tank fitting kit" specified in page 9 section C of the settlement agreement (reference http://www.girardgibbs.com/ducati-settlement-agreement.pdf) to correct for the expansion of my 2006 S2R 1000 tank. The tank is way off one of the side mounts, can not be latched in front, and is pressing upon the ignition assembly.  I'll update after this weekend with how it all fits together - I'll be surprised if the seat will fit and latch correctly after moving the tank backward.
The fit kit tweak centered the tank and moved it a small bit to the back - though the front clearance to the ignition switch assembly is still nonexistent.  The stock seat fits and latches.  I will hold my breath for a few months and see if it remains workable.  Fortunately I have no bubbles or ripples in the tank so I can live with it for now.
xsephirot

« Reply #2266 on: February 11, 2012, 06:33:50 PM »

The fit kit tweak centered the tank and moved it a small bit to the back - though the front clearance to the ignition switch assembly is still nonexistent.  The stock seat fits and latches.  I will hold my breath for a few months and see if it remains workable.  Fortunately I have no bubbles or ripples in the tank so I can live with it for now.

Are you able to get that latch open and closed on the tank easily now? I can see that happening to me as my tank has no dents or ripples just pushing against the ignition and off centered
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2267 on: February 11, 2012, 06:52:04 PM »

so what happens when you drain the tank and it shrinks back?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
SSCR

« Reply #2268 on: February 18, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »

Just a quick update, my dealership got me approved for a tank replacement! Very happy with that, I plan on buying a 14 gallon gas container to keep in the garage and will only use non-ethanol gas, unless I can find a coating that will work.
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #2269 on: February 18, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »

Not tank related per se but close:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=47304

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
muskrat

« Reply #2270 on: February 18, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »

"LINES CONTAIN MICRO-CRACKING DUE TO INSUFFICIENT DRYING OF RAW MATERIALS PRIOR TO EXTRUSION."
uhu..... popcorn

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2271 on: February 18, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »

been there done that with the 4-wheel vehicles... hooray rubbers.

uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #2272 on: February 27, 2012, 04:27:23 PM »

How do they decide who to give a new tank to and who to give a kit to? I'd be very interested to see pics of the pads to hold the tank to the frame that are in so called kit.  What is the better temporary short term solution? K100 or Stabil? I heard that stabil doesn't even work, which makes me wonder why they told me to put it in at the dealership.

So from my understanding the only thing that can be done to mitigate the expansion are
1) Completely emptying or filling the tank between storing periods
2) Use an additive (K100/Stabil)
3) Coat the inside of the tank (Casewell)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:49:34 PM by uclabiker06 » Logged

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
jgrm1

« Reply #2273 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:23 AM »

So from my understanding the only thing that can be done to mitigate the expansion are
1) Completely emptying or filling the tank between storing periods
2) Use an additive (K100/Stabil)
3) Coat the inside of the tank (Casewell)

Yes.

-Jeff

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #2274 on: February 28, 2012, 05:24:19 AM »

1) Completely emptying yes or filling the tank between storing periods doubt it
2) Use an additive (K100 maybe /Stabil no)
3) Coat the inside of the tank (Casewell) this, and be done.

Nothing removes water from fuel once it's mixed in.  (well, maybe combustion but you know what I mean...)

K100 apparently "sequesters" the water so it does not fully separate.

There is very little along the fuel path that would be harmed by the presence of water in solution -- except for the nylon tank.

The only reason I have said take a look at K100 is that they provided me with a 3rd party (customer-a refinery owned by Lukoil) test of the fuel.  K100 did not pay for the test nor did they request it, the customer wanted to test it to see if it would help in their changeover from G100 to G90 (i.e. E10) gasoline.  

I also contacted the makers of Stabil and Startron and they refused to provide anything, they emailed me literature that they produced.

My position is that NO fuel treatment should be left in a NYLON tank in the hopes of preventing water separation.  K100 looks like it actually has some success in dealing with water present, but if you're using your bike regularly and you are using a fuel treatment for short terms, then it might help some as it may keep the water from separating for a short term.

All of these fuel treatments help gasoline burn a little hotter intermittently so negative effects of the presence of water are mitigated.  You'll suffer a little in performance, but it wont gag your engine.

The only question I have is what effect will the fuel additive have on water in the fuel mixture and how long will it prevent it from separating and therefore, direct contact with the NYLON tank's wall?

(As a side comment, putting a small amount of water into your intakes will not destroy your engine.  Google "decoke pistons" and you can see videos of people spraying small amounts of water into a carburetor or diesel intake to help get crap off the pistons.  Likewise, there are water mist sprayers used for performance which spray a mist of water directly into the intake during load.)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:29:30 AM by DucNaked » Logged

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
uclabiker06

« Reply #2275 on: February 28, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »

What if they later on figure out a way to fix the problem and then they say we can't help you b/c you tampered with your tank by putting this coating in it?  Ef that!  I am going to do what the dealer said to do and if my tank expands they will keep giving me another one.  UNREASONABLE to the max. bang head  

I called gerald and gibbs or whatever the name of that firm is and they didn't get back to me.  Time to give them another call or two and I encourage all of you to do the same.  IT IS NOT REASONABLE TO EXPECT CUSOTOMERS TO COAT THEIR TANKS WITHOUT DUCATI EVEN INFORMING THEM THAT COATING IS AN OPTION.  IT IS NOT REASONABLE TO EXPECT THAT ALL OWNERS WILL GO ON THIS FORUM AND FIND OUT ABOUT IT.  I really don't get this. Ducatiz help me out here...your a lawyer right?

CLEARLY THERE IS A SAFETY ISSUE NOT JUST COSMETIC. Fine the coating does not meet polution standards that Ducati must abide by, but can't the judge bypass that in the name of safety?  Afterall Casewell is allowed to sell it!  Its not like its a tail peice or something; its the freaking fuel tank on the bike.  If it expands enought it can and will impact stearing radius and cause leaks.  IF YOU CAN'T UNLATCH THE TANK B/C ITS PRESSED AGAINST THE IGNITION THAT IS NOT COSMETIC ONLY!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:29:15 PM by uclabiker06 » Logged

2006 S2R
2009 Smart
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2276 on: February 28, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »

What if they later on figure out a way to fix the problem and then they say we can't help you b/c you tampered with your tank by putting this coating in it?  Ef that!  I am going to do what the dealer said to do and if my tank expands they will keep giving me another one.  UNREASONABLE to the max. bang head  

I called gerald and gibbs or whatever the name of that firm is and they didn't get back to me.  Time to give them another call or two and I encourage all of you to do the same.  IT IS NOT REASONABLE TO EXPECT CUSOTOMERS TO COAT THEIR TANKS WITHOUT DUCATI EVEN INFORMING THEM THAT COATING IS AN OPTION.  IT IS NOT REASONABLE TO EXPECT THAT ALL OWNERS WILL GO ON THIS FORUM AND FIND OUT ABOUT IT.  I really don't get this. Ducatiz help me out here...your a lawyer right?

CLEARLY THERE IS A SAFETY ISSUE NOT JUST COSMETIC. Fine the coating does not meet polution standards that Ducati must abide by, but can't the judge bypass that in the name of safety?  Afterall Casewell is allowed to sell it!  Its not like its a tail peice or something; its the freaking fuel tank on the bike.  If it expands enought it can and will impact stearing radius and cause leaks.  IF YOU CAN'T UNLATCH THE TANK B/C ITS PRESSED AGAINST THE IGNITION THAT IS NOT COSMETIC ONLY!
Ya know...

this thread started 3 years ago...

and all of a sudden you're getting indignant?

You really should try to stay current.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

uclabiker06

« Reply #2277 on: February 28, 2012, 05:37:30 PM »

True...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:39:26 PM by uclabiker06 » Logged

2006 S2R
2009 Smart
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2278 on: February 28, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »

The unfortunate truth is the class action has been adjudicated, and you have to live with the decision.

Sorry.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

uclabiker06

« Reply #2279 on: February 28, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »

Dang, u sure?  How could that be possible?

2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: