Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:38:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695255 times)
Punx Clever
It never got strange enough for my

« Reply #2445 on: June 03, 2012, 01:55:18 PM »

So I got a new tank, the new "adjustable" hinge bracket and those new fugly oversized rubber mounts on the frame. 
Wtf those things are huge and stick out.

The guys at the local shop mentioned a "kit"... got any pictures?

2008 S2R 1000 - Archangel

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  - HST
El-Twin

« Reply #2446 on: June 04, 2012, 07:02:54 AM »

Sooo..., either coat it, or run K100 in it with your E-10.  Cool http://www.k100fueltreatment.com/

Sooo... If this K100 really works, doesn't it eliminate the need to coat? Their website makes it sound like a panacea, but is it heavily weighted toward advertising BS?

1961 Honda 50
1962 Mustang Thoroughbred
1972 Honda CB500 Four
2012 1100 evo

If I ever find myself on a winding road, holding up a line of cars with a motorcycle, I will carry the shame to my grave.   -PETER EGAN
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2447 on: June 04, 2012, 07:51:12 AM »

Sooo... If this K100 really works, doesn't it eliminate the need to coat? Their website makes it sound like a panacea, but is it heavily weighted toward advertising BS?

No idea as I'm still able to run pure gas but ducatiz got independent test results from them which indicates that it does indeed encapsulate a fair amount of water. Want to test it for us?  Wink Several dealers are also recommending the use of K100.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
K3V1N

« Reply #2448 on: June 04, 2012, 07:58:21 AM »

I went back and forth about coating or k100 / Startron / dry gas. In the end I just went for coating the tank. I want to have this bike (S2R1k) for a long time and didn't see Ducati giving me another free tank in 3 or 4 years. If the tank never swells and I only loss a little fuel capacity I will be happy. I ended up putting the full MC kit in and then wiped out as much as I could which was around 1/4 of what went in. I split the kit and thinned it because I was worried about lost capacity but in the end I had a couple spots that didn't cover. On the second coat I used a coat hanger with a piece of rag to paint it on some pieces.

If I had to do it again I would used 3/4 of the kit thinned 5% and get a 3ft vent brush. I would pour it in the fuel pump hole and bush the inside of the tank to get it to cover quicker. then I would put the cover on get it to coat by the pump hole. then take the pump hole cover off lean it to get extra epoxy on the top by the pump hole and wipe it out with gloves and rags.

I really like things to be perfect so it bugs be a little that it has to be coated. I just felt that even if I was really good about additives it could still swell and it was going to cost more in additive than the coating since I put about 8 to k10 a year on the bike.

I would love to hear from someone that has been using additive for a bunch of years with on swelling.
El-Twin

« Reply #2449 on: June 04, 2012, 08:10:09 AM »

Want to test it for us?  Wink Several dealers are also recommending the use of K100.

Maybe I will. Smiley I think I'll ping my dealer to see if they have an opinion.

I would love to hear from someone that has been using additive for a bunch of years with on swelling.

Me too!

1961 Honda 50
1972 Honda CB500 Four
2012 1100 evo

If I ever find myself on a winding road, holding up a line of cars with a motorcycle, I will carry the shame to my grave.   -PETER EGAN
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2450 on: June 04, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »

From what I read in the review, it may not eliminate it but it reduces the amount of potential exposure. 

The review was done by Lukoil for their own purposes, not by the makers of K100. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2451 on: June 04, 2012, 08:31:32 AM »

If I had to do it again I would used 3/4 of the kit thinned 5% and get a 3ft vent brush. I would pour it in the fuel pump hole and bush the inside of the tank to get it to cover quicker. then I would put the cover on get it to coat by the pump hole. then take the pump hole cover off lean it to get extra epoxy on the top by the pump hole and wipe it out with gloves and rags.

I made a clear plastic cover for the fuel pump hole and drilled a hole for a stopper.

I put a #9 stopper into the filler hole from the INSIDE.

I poured in the coating from the fuel pump hole and then put a stopper in from the outside. 

I didn't thin mine, but it seems to have coated just fine.  I would thin it if I did it again.

vent brush? 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2452 on: June 04, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »

Maybe I will. Smiley I think I'll ping my dealer to see if they have an opinion.

Me too!

For reasons of liability, if I were you're dealer, I wouldn't suggest anything which they didn't have in writing from DNA. You could ask him whether he's replaced ANY new style tanks though. The last time I spoke to mine, they hadn't, and he's large. LOTS of painted tanks though.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2453 on: June 04, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »

For reasons of liability, if I were you're dealer, I wouldn't suggest anything which they didn't have in writing from DNA. You could ask him whether he's replaced ANY new style tanks though. The last time I spoke to mine, they hadn't, and he's large. LOTS of painted tanks though.

Under the terms of the settlement, ONLY painted tanks can be replaced.

Curmudgeon

« Reply #2454 on: June 04, 2012, 08:43:26 AM »

Under the terms of the settlement, ONLY painted tanks can be replaced.

Trust YOU to read the fine print.  Wink If I ever HAD an issue, I'd replace mine with a PEX tank from Germany anyway.

Long story short, what DOES DNA say they'll do for a New Monster tank which is causing the covers to bulge? Maybe they think they have the issue under control?

El-Twin

« Reply #2455 on: June 04, 2012, 08:59:47 AM »

Long story short, what DOES DNA say they'll do for a New Monster tank which is causing the covers to bulge? Maybe they think they have the issue under control?

Right. For the new Monsters with the skins, you could have an issue and not even know it. In which case I guess it wouldn't be an issue. Would it?

1961 Honda 50
1972 Honda CB500 Four
2012 1100 evo

K3V1N

« Reply #2456 on: June 04, 2012, 10:10:08 AM »

This is the vent brush I got to clean the tank. I would use it if I did it again to paint the caswell on.
http://tinyurl.com/ch3k9zv

I did the same thing for my pump opening.

http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums/q591/M-S2R-1000/?action=view&current=60068cb5.jpg

I got the idea from a post that could have been yours.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2457 on: June 04, 2012, 10:16:39 AM »

This is the vent brush I got to clean the tank. I would use it if I did it again to paint the caswell on.
http://tinyurl.com/ch3k9zv

I did the same thing for my pump opening.

http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums/q591/M-S2R-1000/?action=view&current=60068cb5.jpg

I got the idea from a post that could have been yours.

waytogo

Uncle Mofo

"Must Win Track Day" Uncle Mofo Racing 2007 S4RS

« Reply #2458 on: June 04, 2012, 03:53:41 PM »

The guys at the local shop mentioned a "kit"... got any pictures?
Yup

2007 red S4Rs
Uncle Mofo

"Must Win Track Day" Uncle Mofo Racing 2007 S4RS

« Reply #2459 on: June 04, 2012, 03:56:10 PM »

2007 red S4Rs
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: