Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:24:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695310 times)
amantaban

« Reply #2745 on: August 26, 2013, 06:39:48 PM »

I just looked at an 06 Monster 620 that is for sale and the tank pads are not sitting on the frame correctly and it is right up against the ignition. Is this lawsuit still relevant? If I buy it, can I still get it fixed for free? Does coating cost a lot?

Thanks guys. I am a serious Monster noob and need an answer quick before this thing sells. HELP!
muskrat

« Reply #2746 on: August 26, 2013, 07:32:10 PM »

Although this is not the thread to answer your question I'll say that if it's a plastic tank and you want a new one it will set you back around $1600 for a new one.  Flea bay has tons for a fraction of the cost or modify a metal tank from an earlier 2v

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
theoneillusion

« Reply #2747 on: August 26, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »

I just looked at an 06 Monster 620 that is for sale and the tank pads are not sitting on the frame correctly and it is right up against the ignition. Is this lawsuit still relevant? If I buy it, can I still get it fixed for free? Does coating cost a lot?

Thanks guys. I am a serious Monster noob and need an answer quick before this thing sells. HELP!

We are stuck with plastic tanks, take it or leave it, and given the safety and emissions laws, nylon is the best thing going. 

The manufacturers are now aware of this, so I expect they'll figure out some workarounds such as hiding the tank as on the 696 or possibly coating it.

I am not sore at Ducati for this, they were responsible, but the cost of replacing the tank with a different material would have put them out of business.  I understand the "solution" they implemented (which by the way is a done deal now, the extended warranty has expired so coating is your only option).

Just to be clear, they extended the warranty on the tank for 18 months after the settlement, which provided for modifications for tanks or replacement in rare instances.

Coating the tank is your only option.  If you do it right, it will outlast you.
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #2748 on: August 26, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »

This is the material our replacement tanks should have been made of- with a lifetime guarantee to boot!

My Ducati tank is coated, but if it gets bloated, I'll buy one of these. Smiley

Can be purchased here....       http://ca-cycleworks.com/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:44:05 PM by Desert Dust » Logged

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
hbliam
« Reply #2749 on: August 26, 2013, 09:18:36 PM »

Not paintable. Not the same shape as stock. Not made for all models.

But a great track tank.
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #2750 on: August 27, 2013, 06:10:15 AM »

Not paintable. Not the same shape as stock. Not made for all models.

But a great track tank.

Holds fuel without getting pregnant.   Cheesy

Guaranteed for life.  Grin

Functional.  Wink

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #2751 on: August 27, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »

I just love the look of the CA track tank! I wish that I has a compatible bike so that I could get one! Unfortunately, I had to buy a different bike to get a tank that I liked.....

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Heath

« Reply #2752 on: October 01, 2013, 09:13:17 PM »

I am curious if anyone else is waiting on a tank. The request for mine got sent in at the end of July and I am still waiting. A week or so ago I asked me dealer what is going on and they said they are still waiting.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
mikefoxtrot

« Reply #2753 on: October 02, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »

I brought my bike in on 12 Aug or somewhere around there and just got it back last weekend.  The dealer had a helluva time getting the new tank.
hillbillypolack

« Reply #2754 on: October 09, 2013, 04:21:14 AM »

I brought my bike in on 12 Aug or somewhere around there and just got it back last weekend.  The dealer had a helluva time getting the new tank.

This situation will only get worse.  Hate to say I told you so, two or three years ago.

Best solution is either 1) sell the bike if the tank issue bothers you, 2) go the Caswell route once you receive a fresh tank, or 3) get a replacement tank like the one Chris (ca-cycleworks) sells.  Oh, or 3a) wish for the unicorn, hoping an alloy tank will be made in our lifetimes.

I'm a naive optimist, hoping to get an alloy tank.  I like the bike, and would like to see a permanent, flattering fix to the tank issue.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2755 on: October 09, 2013, 08:56:43 AM »

I'm a naive optimist, hoping to get an alloy tank.  I like the bike, and would like to see a permanent, flattering fix to the tank issue.

The class action suit pretty much guaranteed that it would not be fixed. Why would Ducati go through the process of getting a new tank certified for models that they no longer produce? If you're considering resale value, I suggest coating your tank with Caswell.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
mikefoxtrot

« Reply #2756 on: October 09, 2013, 10:19:38 AM »

This situation will only get worse.  Hate to say I told you so, two or three years ago.

Best solution is either 1) sell the bike if the tank issue bothers you, 2) go the Caswell route once you receive a fresh tank, or 3) get a replacement tank like the one Chris (ca-cycleworks) sells.  Oh, or 3a) wish for the unicorn, hoping an alloy tank will be made in our lifetimes.

I'm definitely going the Caswell's route.  I just need the time to do it.
NAKID

« Reply #2757 on: October 09, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »

I have a new tank waiting at my dealer. Just need to gather the funds for the caswell coating before I get it installed...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
HotIce

« Reply #2758 on: October 10, 2013, 06:49:53 AM »

I think I might have just joined the club, with the 1098  Roll Eyes
This is a 2008 1098, and the tank "looks" fine (no visible deformations at all), but I had a hell of a time in making it fit again, after removing it for the DMV emissions sticker inspection.
HotIce

« Reply #2759 on: October 10, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »

OTOH, the Ducati Performance aluminum tank is sweet!  drool
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: