Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:26:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666580 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2850 on: September 25, 2015, 05:03:05 PM »

I've got an '05 S2R800 tank that I've had hanging from the rafters in my shop for ~5 years.
I'm in SoCal, we've averaged 10" of rain per year during that time.
So it's pretty f'n dry.

It's still ~5mm too wide at the tank rubbers.

that is probably within normal variances.  the tanks deform a bit from heat too.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2851 on: September 25, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »

that is probably within normal variances.  the tanks deform a bit from heat too.
Are we talking lawyer tolerances/variances...

or mechanic tolerances/variances? Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2852 on: September 25, 2015, 05:29:32 PM »

Are we talking lawyer tolerances/variances...

or mechanic tolerances/variances? Grin

probably both, but i've found the measurement to vary a bit.  the tank is flexible and the rubber frame stops have slots that allow them to move about 8-10mm to account for minor variance between tanks & frames.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2853 on: September 25, 2015, 05:38:23 PM »

probably both, but i've found the measurement to vary a bit.  the tank is flexible and the rubber frame stops have slots that allow them to move about 8-10mm to account for minor variance between tanks & frames.
...and that is the way the steel tank parts were manufactured also.

It depends if the tank is 5 grand over nominal or maximum...

no?

...and if the max allowable on the rubbers only allow for + or - 4 or 5 mm it might be an issue.

Wouldn't you agree counselor? Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2854 on: September 25, 2015, 07:33:51 PM »

It's 5mm too wide with the rubbers pushed all the way inboard.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2855 on: September 26, 2015, 09:09:35 AM »

It's 5mm too wide with the rubbers pushed all the way inboard.

Yup.  That's not good. 

Airborne
Crash n' Burn

Monster S2R 800 - ALL BLACK

« Reply #2856 on: September 14, 2021, 06:47:55 PM »

I know I’m 190 pages behind in this thread, but I’m on my second tank. Never caswell coated, I just completely drain the tank with “the ultimate siphon” after every time I ride. I call it the bologna defueling procedure. It seems to work, when the tank expands I just let it sit empty for a while and it goes back to normal.

2007 Monster S2R, Vespa GTS 300, Vino 125
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #2857 on: September 15, 2021, 01:06:23 PM »

I followed IZ's instructions to the letter, for a tank that sat without fuel in it for quite a few months to a year I can't remember. But the thing was dry. Washed it out best I could, hot water & Dawn. Let dry again. Cut the inside tank surface with xylene as IZ instructed. Coated it with Caswell after mixing a little xylene in to the mix as per IZ's instructions. No problems after about 3 years or so, or none that I notice with my naked eye. The space between the front of the tank and the ignition has remained the same. Not sure/ have not officially quantified the tank width but it looks the same. I even let fuel sit in it over the winters which I know I should not do but I do it anyway because I'm lazy. No problems. Going to stop leaving fuel in it because it's just so wrong but I have seen no problems at all. The coating process is a pain but it worked out for me. Take thy time and do it right, and your results might be same.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 01:08:06 PM by booger » Logged

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2858 on: September 15, 2021, 02:10:54 PM »