Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:27:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666518 times)
ghosthound

« Reply #480 on: April 26, 2010, 06:05:29 AM »

i really havent been keeping up with this whole ordeal...

i joined the yahoo group, filed the NHTSA report, got my tank replaced etc...

but my concern is that if the tank is the exact same as the original, its just a matter of time before it begins to swell, flake, etc..

Anyway its comforting hearing that ducati has been honoring tank replacements for out of warranty bikes but at the same time, im sure eventually the tanks will stop being produced... etc...  needless to say... ive been keeping my eye on the tank and if i notice it starting to experience any of the same issues ill probably just resort to selling the bike and picking up a newer monster... or saving up for a streetfighter  [moto]
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #481 on: April 26, 2010, 07:06:50 AM »

From what I understand the tanks will eventually suffer through the same issue. From what I've heard from the dealers, a new tank will be shipped out that will not have the same issue, but like the elusive unicorn, we have not seen it yet.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #482 on: April 27, 2010, 08:25:07 AM »

From what I understand the tanks will eventually suffer through the same issue. From what I've heard from the dealers, a new tank will be shipped out that will not have the same issue, but like the elusive unicorn, we have not seen it yet.

i saw one and killed it.

What numbers are you geting for your fill ups

im hitting 3.6gallons right now. i ahvent checked, but i think its leaking around hte edges. :/

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #483 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:26 AM »

Does anything ever go right with your bike?

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #484 on: April 27, 2010, 09:43:53 AM »

Does anything ever go right with your bike?

If it was a horse.....

I would shoot it.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #485 on: April 27, 2010, 10:12:15 AM »

If it was a horse.....

I would shoot it.

Is there such a thing as the glue factory for bikes?

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #486 on: April 27, 2010, 11:01:32 AM »

Is there such a thing as the glue factory for bikes?

It's called ebay.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
IamSMC

« Reply #487 on: April 28, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »

Just purchased this past week a 2005 Monster S2R 800 with approximately 5400 miles.
At time of purchase, I was aware of the tank issue, which this bike did have.
Long story short, this bike was a good deal that I couldn't pass up.

Just got off the phone today with the service manager of Ducati NY and was advised that Ducati is no longer honoring warranty claims on the tank issues if the tank is just showing typical sighs of expansion.
He further advised that a warranty claim may be covered in cases where the tank is leaking or other extreme no-start issues.

Can anyone advise further.

TIA

2007 Ducati Monster S4R S Testastretta
2005 Ducati Monster S2R 800
2007 Aprilia Sportcity 250ie
2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 125
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #488 on: April 28, 2010, 04:33:03 PM »

Just purchased this past week a 2005 Monster S2R 800 with approximately 5400 miles.
At time of purchase, I was aware of the tank issue, which this bike did have.
Long story short, this bike was a good deal that I couldn't pass up.

Just got off the phone today with the service manager of Ducati NY and was advised that Ducati is no longer honoring warranty claims on the tank issues if the tank is just showing typical sighs of expansion.
He further advised that a warranty claim may be covered in cases where the tank is leaking or other extreme no-start issues.

Can anyone advise further.

TIA

They are idiots.  As of the last time I spoke with my contact at Ducati NA, they are replacing any tank that shows any significant expansion.  They issued a tech bulletin for the SC tank expansion which is a half-measure fix just in case the tank expands nad contracts (as far as I understand).

If your tank rubbers are off the frame and/or the front is touching the keyswitch, it will be replaced.

You are the third individual I've heard from that has been told that BULLSHIT story by Ducati NY. 

Take your bike and all your business to another dealer.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #489 on: April 28, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »

They are idiots.  As of the last time I spoke with my contact at Ducati NA, they are replacing any tank that shows any significant expansion.  They issued a tech bulletin for the SC tank expansion which is a half-measure fix just in case the tank expands nad contracts (as far as I understand).

If your tank rubbers are off the frame and/or the front is touching the keyswitch, it will be replaced.

You are the third individual I've heard from that has been told that BULLSHIT story by Ducati NY. 

waytogo  The dealer's job is to document the claim, DNA makes the decision.  Try another dealer.
IamSMC

« Reply #490 on: April 29, 2010, 05:20:23 AM »

Its doing exactly that ^^^

IamSMC

« Reply #491 on: April 29, 2010, 05:22:41 AM »

Try another dealer.

ducatiz, howie:

I'm taking both your advice.

Thx

IamSMC

« Reply #492 on: April 29, 2010, 05:54:33 AM »

Read this on another forum:

"...As for the plastic tanks, while they[DNA] have been ignoring the issue for sometime now, they have as of late come to their senses. They've recently (within the last couple days), announced that they are no longer replacing tanks with the same tanks because they'll just swell down the road, instead they're shimming them out to keep them secure. As of right now, they're making a replacement tank that will not have this problem for all Sport Classics. Regardless of being in or out of warranty, they're replacing EVERY sportclassic tank when the new tank comes out. So rest assured, within the near future you'll have a tank that won't have this problem anymore. And the tanks aren't actually Ducati, the company that makes them for Ducati and other motorcycle brands is called Acerbis. So while everyone thinks Ducati has been ignoring the issue, it's actually been Acerbis, Ducati's been trying to get compensation from Acerbis to fix all the tanks. ..."

Anyone else read about this?

Good news?

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #493 on: April 29, 2010, 07:09:47 AM »

Rumor number 900

The other ones say things like a metal repl and so on.  No one says the dealer name or a source.  Ducati has not and will not say anything until a final fix is in because everything they say could be used in a lawsuit.

Part of why I can't stand ducati.ms anymore.  Just crap.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Fergus

« Reply #494 on: April 30, 2010, 08:58:40 AM »

Soltron Enzyme Fuel Treatment ?

Boaters also use Marine Stabil
Anyone got any more info on this? My tank's still OK, but I know I can't rely that Ducati will take care of me when it does go bad. I'd like to do something to forestall that...
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: