Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 11:37:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666766 times)
idsteve

« Reply #915 on: October 20, 2010, 02:44:47 PM »

Just got an approval from DNA through Cliffs and the tank is on order. Not sure how long a tricolore tank will take but its in the works and approved. This after failed attempts at the ah, er, um, yah, that place in Manhattan...  applause
cheers
mikimiki

« Reply #916 on: October 21, 2010, 08:59:33 PM »

I tried to call DNA many times but never got answered.  But when I called the dealer (BH Ducati) I found that DNA followed up my request.  The dealer told me that DNA called them and instructed to re-submit the claim.  Finally I got approved today after one week applause  Now, hope to get a tank soon...
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #917 on: October 22, 2010, 04:11:52 AM »

I tried to call DNA many times but never got answered.  But when I called the dealer (BH Ducati) I found that DNA followed up my request.  The dealer told me that DNA called them and instructed to re-submit the claim.  Finally I got approved today after one week applause  Now, hope to get a tank soon...

That's a good story, thanks for the followup.  I am happy to hear they are being proactive.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
wantingaduc

Excuse me Sir, your bike is smokin.

« Reply #918 on: October 22, 2010, 05:24:08 AM »

Does anyone know if there's any truth to the info that given time, once the fuel is removed from the tank and it is allowed to dry out, that it will return to it's original size?

I've had my tank replaced once before and I dont want to do it again.
I would be happy to coat my current tank if it will in fact go back to it's normal size if I allow it to dry.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

jimi

I know what ruined America, the fu@k*ng Americans !!!
billruiz
I'm a tool with a

« Reply #919 on: October 22, 2010, 05:25:24 AM »

I didn't know there was a "bulge-o-meter" criteria. My TriColore tank has expanded, but can still sit on the frame with no problem. I've had to elongate the holes in the mounting bracket so I can secure the tank with the clip up front. I'm attending an Open House at a Duc dealer on Sunday. Maybe I can get a parts guy to make a quick determination.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #920 on: October 22, 2010, 06:04:54 AM »

I didn't know there was a "bulge-o-meter" criteria. My TriColore tank has expanded, but can still sit on the frame with no problem. I've had to elongate the holes in the mounting bracket so I can secure the tank with the clip up front. I'm attending an Open House at a Duc dealer on Sunday. Maybe I can get a parts guy to make a quick determination.

Your tank needs to be replaced.

It should not need to be moved back in the frame to prevent it from pushing on the keyswitch.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
lawbreaker

« Reply #921 on: October 22, 2010, 06:11:59 AM »

Now replacing my SECOND tank..... so this is tank #3 so far during the life of my S2R1000...

Took about two and a half weeks to get the tank which is suprizing waytogo

Now looking for a metal alternative... chug
IamSMC

« Reply #922 on: October 22, 2010, 08:49:19 AM »

Now replacing my SECOND tank..... so this is tank #3 so far during the life of my S2R1000...

Took about two and a half weeks to get the tank which is suprizing waytogo

Now looking for a metal alternative... chug

Again, I'm still amazed how some can even get a 3rd tank when I having such a hard time getting my first warranty replacement and the hard time is even with the dealer that the first owner purchased the bike from.

In addition to the "it has to be leaking requirement", the dealer said since my tank has nicks from the handlebars, a warranty claim definitely won't go through.

Just wish the alternate dealer wasn't so far off...

2007 Ducati Monster S4R S Testastretta
2005 Ducati Monster S2R 800
2007 Aprilia Sportcity 250ie
2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 125
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #923 on: October 22, 2010, 08:53:45 AM »

I would think that after a second tank, you could ask for a metal tank replacement and all the bits to make it work.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #924 on: October 22, 2010, 09:43:11 AM »

I'm having to replace a tank twice as well, first time I paid. Ducpond had a look at my original tank and the current one, haven't heard back from them but hopefully I'll get approved. First one was a fire hazard it leaked so bad.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #925 on: October 22, 2010, 11:37:54 AM »

Does anyone know if there's any truth to the info that given time, once the fuel is removed from the tank and it is allowed to dry out, that it will return to it's original size?

I've had my tank replaced once before and I dont want to do it again.
I would be happy to coat my current tank if it will in fact go back to it's normal size if I allow it to dry.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

jimi

Replace "will" with "may".
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #926 on: October 22, 2010, 12:07:17 PM »

Howie is right.  It may shrink back.  However, even if it shrinks there may be moisture trapped in the wall of the tank.  I have seen tanks which shrank but had soft spots.

lawbreaker

« Reply #927 on: October 22, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »

I would think that after a second tank, you could ask for a metal tank replacement and all the bits to make it work.

AFAIK Ducati does NOT make a metal tank anymore..... I believe i need to find a 05 S4 tank ( someone chime in here) or something comparable.

So far, my local dealer ( who DOES NOT DO MY SERVICE BTW) is really kewl regarding the tank issue...
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #928 on: October 22, 2010, 04:04:20 PM »

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=541.msg3666#msg3666

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

csp808

« Reply #929 on: October 23, 2010, 01:26:38 PM »

AFAIK Ducati does NOT make a metal tank anymore..... I believe i need to find a 05 S4 tank ( someone chime in here) or something comparable.

So far, my local dealer ( who DOES NOT DO MY SERVICE BTW) is really kewl regarding the tank issue...
i believe they do the first tank that came in for my bike was a metal one by mistake
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: